what happens to hairs that just stop growing, do they die?

Axon

Reaction score
The root follicle miniturizes, eventually becoming so small that the human eye cannot see it. This is why hair gradually thins, and eventually leaves the scalp bare. I guess you could call that dying.

Technically, there may be a small hair root in the follicle. I've also heard that scar tissue replaces a miniturized follicle. Can't say for sure.

black12inch

Reaction score
so thins or falls out?

does it get so thin that it doesnt appear to be there or does it fall out? confused now it seems that the thickness of my hairs are thinner but i do see falling out also at times but today i diddnt see ONE single hair fall out today and i dont take any drugs or min finasteride or any thing...
what should a head hair be commpared to by thickness? like a pubic hair or a leg hair..per say?

twelve.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Compare the hair on the top of your head to the hair growing out of the more DHT resistant follicles on the side. I haven't lost much hair myself, but the quality of the hair on the top is significantly different then that on the sides.

Stingray

Reaction score
Wow...that made no sense.

thirteen

Axon

Reaction score
Fallout has little to do with male pattern baldness. Hair miniturization is what you should be mainly worried about. When hair follicles are cycling and losing density with each cycle, you're in trouble.

bombscience

Reaction score
Here's a question though... once the DHT has bound to a follicle, I have hear it there for life? How does propecia account for hair thickening then?