What happens if you're terrible at cutting Proscar?

captaineyes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made the switch from Propecia to Pros and I'm just having so much trouble even cutting the tablets into fourths (let alone fifths). I guess I just don't have sharp knives in the house and every time I try to even cut the 5 mg pill into halves, it leaves a load of "crumbs" all over the place. I'm pretty much left with 3 pieces after I'm done with one pill and a bunch of crumbs. I'm scared to take the crumbs for the fourth day because, well, I just can't see how effective they would be given that 1) I don't know how much I'm taking, and 2) they're crumbs! How can my system make anything of them? I find it hard to believe that they can effectively get into the bloodstream and get the job done.

Am I crazy for believing this? Should I just continue wasting a quarter of each pill if I can't cut it properly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-captaineyes-

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Dude just buy a pill cuter, it holds the pill in place while you close a razor on it. You can slice it very accurately. They cost like 7 bucks.

But even if you fail to cut your proscar well, even if there is a disproportion of something outrageous like 0.20mg to 1.80mg the 0.2mg of finasteride is still showen to be 70% effective in stopping DHT. So it makes little difference if your a few mg out. Having said that being that bad at cutting proscar is almost impossible. (unless you're blind).

captaineyes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't even know pill cutters existed! Pretty much answers my question to a tee.

I'll get one from the pharm and I'm sure it'll be straightforward from there.

Didn't know about that study either, metalheaddude. That's hard to believe. finasteride must be a REALLY potent drug. Puts my mind at ease- but the pill cutter itself will put my mind at ease, too. :)

Thanks again.

-captaineys-

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm always making mis-shapen pill slices. I have a pill cutter but it's bargain basement and the pills are oval so are nearly impossible to accurately quarter in the cutter. No problems though, so who cares? At least 3 pills per batch get dropped down the sink as I haphazardly handle them or get wet inside the cutter coz my hands aren't dry, that's more of a problem lol.