What Happens If You Accidentally Transplant Hair In An Area With Healthy Hair?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is done all the time, I had it done and nothing happens other than possible shock loss.

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
It is done all the time, I had it done and nothing happens other than possible shock loss.

How's that nothing happens? The healthy follicle is not affected? But the transplanted hair? it dies off? Or the two hair follicles grow simultaneously? I mean, something needs to happen haha.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you mean that when they punch in the new grafts, one of those might transect an existing graft, then yes it would be killed off. However for a person with hairloss the benefits would outweigh the slight loss of a few grafts this way. So would you rather keep it how it is today or get 2500 new grafts while maybe killing off 25.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you mean that when they punch in the new grafts, one of those might transect an existing graft, then yes it would be killed off. However for a person with hairloss the benefits would outweigh the slight loss of a few grafts this way. So would you rather keep it how it is today or get 2500 new grafts while maybe killing off 25.

I agree with this mostly. However, we will never know what kind of number is likely to be killed off while the new grafts cause transection. If the number becomes significant, result will be subpar.
This is the very reason many surgeons advise against transplant for diffuse thinning.
Unfortunately for myself, I have a diffusely thinned crown with the frontal third and midscalp filled with new grafts. I am currently unsure how it will turn out after 12 months.... but with all the treatments I am committing to I am hoping to maintain the crown at least for a number of years.

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you go to a surgeon and not a technician clinic, and a surgeon that is skilled and he or she does the slit incisions carefully and uses head-band telescope/microscope lens for a zoomed in look at the scalp then the transection rate should be very low.