What goes down does come up.

randomhead

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have been on and off this board for around a year now. I would like give some feedback in hope that someone else may find my data of some use. I know that only by helping each other can we help outselves. (governing dynamics, Film: 'a beautiful mind').

right, I've been on Propecia for a year and a few months, I started Jan 2005. About 3 months ago, I start loosing my hair again, shedding really badly. I was wondering why I started loosing my hair randomly after a year?

The only factor I had changed was when I took my propecia was in the morning not in the evening. When I started my course in 2005 I took my daily tablet straight after my evening meal. About 6 months ago I changed to taking it after my breakfast. I think due to my motabilism I was not digesting the complete tablet with my breakfast.

I spoke to some of my bouncer friends who take all these boosers and multi-vitamins and they say that we only digest around 5% of a tablet if you don't take it straight after a meal.

This is only my opinion but I've seen a massive difference since. I'm back up to normal again.

I hope this helps.

G

What???

I did not know the absortion is more if you take it after a meal!!!??

Can someone please verify this? :eek: :eek:

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure how much truth there is in that. Seeing as it says the pill can be taken with or without food you would believe it wouldn't effect absorption, although it is true of other pills. Some pills you are instructed to take with or without food.

By the way grapefruit juice can affect absorption;
"Grapefruit is known to inhibit the metabolism of certain drugs
within the lining of the gut wall. The usual result is a higher
level of absorption of the drug into the bloodstream"

Aplunk1

Reaction score
As with the case of dutasteride, it's been found that if taken with food, there is 17% less absorbtion.

I personally take the .5mg capsule of Avodart every morning on an empty stomach with green tea. No stomache aches, anything.

Just an extra precaution.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
O well if it is the case I've not got much to worry about i normally take my pill on an empty stomach. Random I started finasteride the same time as you Jan 2005. My story is pretty much the same I'm sure around that time maybe just before Christmas I started shedding pretty bad. Seem to be picking up a lot more hair off the floor lately. I think all I achieved was maintenance at best though. But hopefully this is just a shed and we'll see some improvement.

G

Bert said:
O well if it is the case I've not got much to worry about i normally take my pill on an empty stomach. Random I started finasteride the same time as you Jan 2005. My story is pretty much the same I'm sure around that time maybe just before Christmas I started shedding pretty bad. Seem to be picking up a lot more hair off the floor lately. I think all I achieved was maintenance at best though. But hopefully this is just a shed and we'll see some improvement.

Do you take the pill in the morning?

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
I do indeed, first thing in the morning.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do strongly suggest that you CHEW UP and then swallow Propecia/Proscar pills. Don't swallow them whole.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that absorption of the drug may be more complete if you chew it up first, rather than swallow it whole. I've posted in the past about an experience my mother had years ago, in which she discovered to her horror that some prescription blood-pressure pills she was taking had passed all the way through her without being absorbed. And that goes along with an article I read a long time ago written by a doctor who found that ALL nutritional supplements, be they tablets or capsules, were absorbed more completely if they were chewed-up first.

So my policy has always been the following: chew-up and swallow ALL drug tablets and nutritional tablets and capsules, with the exception of things that are designed to be time-released. THOSE, you should continue to swallow whole. All others, chew them up first. Don't take any chances that you're an unusual individual who has a problem breaking-down tablets in your GI tract.

Bryan

G

I always thought that this could improve absorption.

But I'm not talking about chewing it up with our teeth. But breaking it in two with a knife and then swallow both parts.

I think that if you chew the pill up, some of the product can stay in your teeth, and I don't think that could be a good idea.

However I still swallow it whole, because for some reason it was made that way, and if Merck says nothing about it, I seriously doubt it could be a good idea.

That said, we don't know if the drug can damage something in our system in its way to the stomach, if we swallow it broken. For some reason it was built as a solid pill, maybe it can cause stomach ulcer or something else. Each individual is different. It was made to be realeased slowly. Not like a bomb.

Merck says that broken pills should not be managed by women, because of the absorption. So, the increased absorption of a broken pill is a fact.

Just take care guys.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Even capsules? like dutasteride capsules?

I can't imagine how god-awful it must be to taste dutasteride.

emery

Established Member
Reaction score
isnt it common sense to take med after a meal? if you didnt know before - know now, dont ever take it empty stomach.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Even capsules? like dutasteride capsules?

I can't imagine how god-awful it must be to taste dutasteride.

Yeah, I'd make an exception with Avodart, too, and not chew it up. Reports are that the oil inside does indeed taste GOD-AWFUL.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
I always thought that this could improve absorption.

But I'm not talking about chewing it up with our teeth. But breaking it in two with a knife and then swallow both parts.

I think that if you chew the pill up, some of the product can stay in your teeth, and I don't think that could be a good idea.

Oh, pshaw. Just drink a little water or your favorite beverage afterwards.

GoodGuy said:
However I still swallow it whole, because for some reason it was made that way, and if Merck says nothing about it, I seriously doubt it could be a good idea.

Yeah, and I wonder what the drug company that made my mother's blood-pressure pills would have thought after hearing that they passed all the way through her intact! :wink: :)

She said that when she told her pharmacist about it later, he was absolutely SHOCKED by that! So I think the bottom-line here is this: don't assume that the medicine that you're taking in the form of pills is always getting into you the way the medical profession THINKS it is. For god's sake, it's easy enough to take a very powerful but simple step to make sure that it's doing its job: just chew the damn thing up!

GoodGuy said:
That said, we don't know if the drug can damage something in our system in its way to the stomach, if we swallow it broken. For some reason it was built as a solid pill, maybe it can cause stomach ulcer or something else. Each individual is different. It was made to be realeased slowly. Not like a bomb.

That's why I was careful to specify that you can't do that if your medicine is TIME-RELEASED. Check your medicine CAREFULLY before chewing it up, to make sure about that specific issue, and to make sure there's not some other reason to swallow it whole.

Finasteride isn't time-released, and it won't hurt your stomach. In the early stumptailed macaque tests, it was given to the animals as a powder on a piece of fruit.

GoodGuy said:
Merck says that broken pills should not be managed by women, because of the absorption. So, the increased absorption of a broken pill is a fact.

Yes, and to my mind, that's even MORE of a reason to chew-up and swallow Propecia and Proscar pills!! They have a coating on them which is designed to resist absorption of the drug by women during casual handling of the pills; but what worries me is that that coating probably makes it even HARDER for them to break down like they're supposed to when you swallow them! :freaked:

The solution to these problems is simple: just CHEW THEM UP a little prior to swallowing. It's the logical thing to do. Don't take any unnecessary chances that they won't break down completely.

Bryan

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm... i give it a try... who know what it can do... but i think for those using proscar should not experience much different as it already exposed due to the cutting...

maybe the coating will have some negative effect... but i think the filler once touched water it will dissolve...

Konkera

Reaction score
I've been taking Propecia after breakfast.
For such a small pill I am quite sure it'll go into your system by the end of the day.

G

Bryan, have you ever treat your male pattern baldness with Propecia/Finasteride?

What were your results?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Bryan has had a pill developed for him that attacks male pattern baldness from an eight-sided approach, with a number of other benefits. With the help of Bryan's intelligence, the pharmaceuticals got together to make a super pill. It gives Bryan everything he wants: A full head of hair, a 12-inch penis, huge muscles, tan skin, white teeth.

Only Bryan can use it, too.

I wish I had that pill, Bryan.