What does minoxidil do exactly to the follicles?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
I know Minoxidil is a vasodilator and was originally used as an oral drug to treat severe blood pressure, but what does it do to the hair follicles biologically? What's its mode of action? is it a dilation of the blood vessels of the scalp that happens, and/or something else?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
That's very interesting. Thank you.

Does this added oxygen (and/or ions) to the follicles, slow down the pace of increasing follicular sensitivity to androgens through the years, or their cumulative effects, or not?

If it does, then there's no reason (apart from side effects) to not use minoxidil, no?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just read on a French site that many vasodilators were tried on the scalp with no additional hair growth. Hence their conclusion that Minoxidil's beneficial action on air wouldn't be vasodilation, but its similarity with nitric acid that boosts keratine synthesis, and opens potassium channels at the follicle cells.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cyberprimate said:
Does this added oxygen (and/or ions) to the follicles, slow down the pace of increasing follicular sensitivity to androgens through the years, or their cumulative effects, or not?

Probably not, since (as I've been pointing out for years) topical minoxidil appears not to do anything to interfere with the fundamental balding process. All it does, apparently, is provide an extra "offset of growth", as balding continues on its merry way.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cyberprimate said:
I've just read on a French site that many vasodilators were tried on the scalp with no additional hair growth. Hence their conclusion that Minoxidil's beneficial action on air wouldn't be vasodilation, but its similarity with nitric acid that boosts keratine synthesis, and opens potassium channels at the follicle cells.

Exactly! I've pointed out several times over the years that many other vasodilators don't have the same hairgrowth effect as ones in the same chemical family as minoxidil and diazoxide; that effect appears to be a direct function of their similarity to nitric oxide. Dr. Proctor has said repeatedly on alt.baldspot that nitric oxide is a chemical "signal" to hair follicles to grow! :)

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
l_04b2b1211ecb56339f3b0c77fd366624.gif

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Bryan said:
cyberprimate said:

Exactly! I've pointed out several times over the years that many other vasodilators don't have the same hairgrowth effect as ones in the same chemical family as minoxidil and diazoxide; that effect appears to be a direct function of their similarity to nitric oxide. Dr. Proctor has said repeatedly on alt.baldspot that nitric oxide is a chemical "signal" to hair follicles to grow! :)

This is good news, and seems to put a nail in the coffin on the "you're not getting blood flow to the hair" crap that people still spew. Scalp exercises, increasing scalp blood flow, all that stuff is total bunk, it seems.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
This is good news, and seems to put a nail in the coffin on the "you're not getting blood flow to the hair" crap that people still spew. Scalp exercises, increasing scalp blood flow, all that stuff is total bunk, it seems.

I agree.

CCS

Reaction score
should we put low doses of arginine in our topicals? Dr Proctor said that arginine increases nitric oxide production.