what does India's restriction on generic market means 4 us?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
4372955.stm

WHat does this mean for Cipla, finasteride and hair loss sufferers?.....And how does the Patent for Merc ending this year relate to the issue?

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Pathetic...I can't stand huge corps running the show...

:evil:

Petchsky

Reaction score
Nor me but some of these companies now have more capital than some countries!

The Government essentially is supposed to represent socities interest but now some organisations are so powerful they can put the government over a barrel, and if you really read up there are plenty of examples of the governments bending over so much you would think they were meant to represent the orgainsations interests instead.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I agree completely, Petch. One of my favorites from my nation's "The Best Of" album was our blowing away of Salvador Allende in Chile. Disgraceful.

HOWEVER, cheating patents may seem like just minor fun and games to you now, bud, but when China starts mass producing Petchsky action figures without giving you your cut, THEN you'd be a little fumed about it, would you not?

:lol:

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Guys: Don't worry much about finasteride. and the Indian proposed law. The patent expires in June, 2006. I doubt if anyone will police the production of a drug who's patent is about to expire.

Also, remember that patent expiration date the next time you order some finasteride. I did! :wink:

Do you guys really think that large companies having influence over a government is something new?! I suggest you read some history books. (And this smart aleck advice is coming from me - a DIEHARD Republican for Godsakes!). :)

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=f ... 1&.intl=us

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Guys: Don't worry much about finasteride. and the Indian proposed law. The patent expires in June, 2006. I doubt if anyone will police the production of a drug who's patent is about to expire.

Also, remember that patent expiration date the next time you order some finasteride. I did! :wink:

Do you guys really think that large companies having influence over a government is something new?! I suggest you read some history books. (And this smart aleck advice is coming from me - a DIEHARD Republican for Godsakes!). :)

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=f ... 1&.intl=us

so can u elaborate what happens after the propecia patent expires?....Cipla will continue to manufacture the drug and sell?.....Or better still Cipla can patent it so that tey can sell it under their brand name?

or is itpossible that MErc will repatent again?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
When a patent expires anyone can manufacture it (FDA approval needed for drugs though - usually not a problem). My guess is Merck will produce a generic version and sell it to you for "dirt" cheap?

http://www.samford.edu/pubs/seasons/win ... tions.html

Also, I think generic manufacturers can submit their applications to the FDA within 180 days before the patent expires so they can have a product on the shelves at the patent expiration date. (However, I'm not entirely sure on that one.)

Once finasteride.'s patent has expired, that's it. No more patents allowable. Free enterprise takes over.

Oftentimes, companies will submit new patents for basically the same drug. It better have some new novel approach or it is summarily denied.

As of June 19, 2006 you will be able to buy generic finasteride. without any problems IMHO. It will be cheap and effective. Much like it was when minoxidil.'s patent expired years ago.

Now did I start using minoxidil. when the patent expired and it became cheap? No. Why? STUPID!!!! :oops:

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What if Someone gets the patent and sells it at ridiculous prices?....kust like MERC...So whats the situation here with finasteride?....So which are the companies to take over finasteride after 2006?..one or many?

Petchsky

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I agree completely, Petch. One of my favorites from my nation's "The Best Of" album was our blowing away of Salvador Allende in Chile. Disgraceful.

HOWEVER, cheating patents may seem like just minor fun and games to you now, bud, but when China starts mass producing Petchsky action figures without giving you your cut, THEN you'd be a little fumed about it, would you not?

:lol:

You got a point. I want my cut.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
No, but the availabilty of finasteride. shouldn't be affected by any new Indian drug law restrictions. When the patent expires in June 2006 Indian companies won't be violating any patent laws by selling us finasteride Also, buying finasteride. locally, with an r/x, should be MUCH cheaper.

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's an update from the 24 March 2005 New York Times, which I just posted in the other thread dedicated to the Indian generic issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/24/inter ... r=homepage

And here are a few excerpts:

The law, which passed by a voice vote in Parliament's upper house yesterday after days of wrangling over amendments in the lower house, was in the end not as restrictive as the drug activists had feared. "It's very disappointing, but it could have been worse," said Daniel Berman, a coordinator of the global access campaign for the medical charity Doctors Without Borders. "All generics could have been removed from the market."

Instead, all the generic drugs already approved in India can still be sold, though sellers must now pay licensing fees. There are also provisions allowing companies that make generics to copy drugs in the future. But there are relatively tough criteria for such copying, and activists predicted that prices for newly invented drugs will be much higher, because drug makers will have the same 20-year patent monopolies as they have in the West. As AIDS patients develop resistance to old drugs, new treatments will become less affordable, they said. In addition, it is unclear whether makers of generic drugs in other countries, like Brazil, China and Thailand, will fill any increasing demand for cheaper medicines.

Note that "all the generic drugs already approved in India can still be sold, though sellers must now pay licensing fees." What this will mean for prices on Fincar, Duprost, and the like, I'm not sure.

chewbacca

Reaction score
chewbaca said:
What if Someone gets the patent and sells it at ridiculous prices?....kust like MERC...So whats the situation here with finasteride?....So which are the companies to take over finasteride after 2006?..one or many?

an imposter, eh?! :lol:

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I see this as evidence why any part of the health industry should not be left to capitalists. It's supposed to serve the people not the wallet.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gonna_win said:
I see this as evidence why any part of the health industry should not be left to capitalists. It's supposed to serve the people not the wallet.
a comment after my own heart.