What does finasteride regrowth look like?

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've been on finasteride for 2 months now I think, weening onto it, now take 0.5mg EOD. I have very minimal loss, possibly just a maturing hairline over the last 5 years.

I've noticed on one side of my hairline I have lots of new 2 - 3 mm light hairs growing. Will these just die and never come back or will they grow out darker in the future?

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
could be the start of new growth if youre sure theyre new (and not just some hairs miniaturizing) 2 months would be a lightning fast response, but im not saying it cant happen.

keep an eye on them, maybe they will grow thicker and become terminal hairs

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
If they are hairs that are miniturizing, will finasteride keep them there? Or is it a case of all those lights hairs you have while on finasteride will fall out with or without finasteride?

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
bump.

really curious what other peoples regrowth is like on finasteride. Really hope all these thin light hairs turn to dark thick hairs.

Or are the lighter hairs doomed to fail since they've already been attacked with DHT?

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
more than likely after only 2 months they are miniturized hairs.

i for one have made this same mistake many times. U try something new, and notice tiny hairs along hairline.

but ur looking closer than b4.

And possibly they were terminal hairs b4, now theyre tiny so u think they r new.

There is also something i call shock regrowth. A treatment shocks almost dead follicles into a last spurt of growth. U get tiny hairs for a few months, then they dissapear again, without ever getting thicker.

its made me cry success many times, but it never amounts to anything.
U could expect this sort of response from some topicals.

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
What about the long thin light hairs I've had for ages before finasteride, will they eventually die or possibly grow back thicker with finasteride? Are they doomed from the start when they get hit with DHT?

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the light tiny hairs growing on my temples.

Only that nobody can tell me they could just be miniaturizing hairs, because on one side of my temple I have a small birthmark dot, which last year when I wasn't on anything, was bald, no hair over it. This year that i've been on treatment, there's terminal hairs over it, and the with my other temple, there's an army of little light hairs growing there.

So don't be too discouraged of some telling you it could just be hairs getting thinner. I'm just lucky that I have a little dot birthmark there and I can tell it is actual regrowth because of it, hairs growing over it, while last year there was no hair there.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
I can agree with that. I hav scars and freckles etc, with hair slowly receding past them so i know mine are miniturizing, and u hav a birthmark, with hair growing past it, so u know its regrowth.

So the question to the original poster is ...

do u have any marks u can use as benchmarks? It might be the only way u will be able to tell.

as for those non pigmented hairs, i hav no idea. in my experience, even the tiniest hairs have pigment, its only the tiny bumfluff thats even all over my forehead that has no pigment.

So for u to have longer (than vellis) hairs that are non pigmented, seems weird to me. But i guess u need a baseline picture or mark or something to compare it too.

my advice is stop looking. it will take over ur life. Just do wat u believe to be the best selection of treatments which addresses wat u believe to be the 'causative factors' ,and reevaluate in a year.

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess with finasteride, I'm most likely to stay at baseline, and even get some regrowth since I don't have much loss.

I do have a little red mark on my forehead that I have eyeballed against the hairline, so I know the distance has always been the same from it. I've always checked it and I do see hairs I'm sure are new closer to it.

I just worry all the lighter hairs might be screwed already and eventually fall out and take me back a norward.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive recently switched from rogain foam after 3 years of noticing it just giving me tiny life less hairs on my hair line... Ive swtiched ot kirkland liquid but its only been 2 months but it does look like an improvement.

But again like people have said it could just look it and then the hairs once again vanish into nothing.

if only someone had figured out something to make those tiny life less hairs sprout out to normal hairs or just even an inch ! Untill then hair loss will remain a mystery !