What Do You Wish You Did At The Start Of Your Hair Loss Journey?

INT

Reaction score
Starting with topical microdosing finasteride instead of jumping to 1 mg oral and not trying to ride out the sides for that long.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would've taken finasteride years ago. For about two years prior I was a not worried about the sides. But really I just never did proper research; I just didn't think it would work that well. It has, at least in my case, resurrected my once laughable head of hair to at least decent.

If one is to not take finasteride, and they have male pattern baldness, they will go bald, or have such a bad head of hair they might as well be. It's just the way it is. If you're fine with it, good for you, if not, consider the pill.

Well, the fact that you did not get sides yet, or maybe you don't feel them, does not mean that they can't be lingering around building up in your system until they hit you from nowhere just like many others have reported, even after 17 years of use. Or maybe when you stop the treatment, if you ever stop it, your system crashes like many others have reported also. Or maybe you think you are ok, like many others who were on finasteride for many years reported and when they took a break or stopped it, noticed how much it affected their bodies, but thought that it was normal and that aging was causing them to feel like that. So there are many factors that one should think before actually taking conclusions.

But i agree with you, you have to make a choice, me personally i would prefer to be bald and ugly than with hair and titties, a limp dick or with the fear of getting who knows what or when because of the treatment that i have to take daily, for the rest of my life, without having an actual medical condition that is life altering and that makes drugs or treatments mandatory because you would die otherwise... But that's why we are different, we don't have to agree or go on the same path...

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wish i had gone in more gradually. i thought jumping right into it was better for keeping hair when i think it might have done more damage over all.

Stratman95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow - there really are two camps here. Thanks for all the input anyone. Is it just the oral finasteride that's causing the damage, or can topical finasteride give sides as well? What about saw palmetto? @TomRiddle I'd like to hear your thoughts in particular.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wish I had started oral minoxidil sooner. I messed with topical for a year or so but it basically just made a mess on my scalp and was a pain in the ***. I'm still on the fence with Finasteride and whether its good or bad, for me. If your hair is thin start low dose oral minoxidil soon. My opinion.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow - there really are two camps here. Thanks for all the input anyone. Is it just the oral finasteride that's causing the damage, or can topical finasteride give sides as well? What about saw palmetto? @TomRiddle I'd like to hear your thoughts in particular.

Well, the topical finasteride studies are just very few and some of them contradict eachother, some did no analysis of the serum DHT reduction and some did. From what i have read, a microdosing of topical finasteride like in the Mazzarella study seems to be harmless to the serum DHT and it actually has a benefit on the scalp DHT and also on hair regrowth, or at least maintenance. I saw some anecdotal reports also that sounded encouraging. We need more studies, we need more information about the ingredients and how they were applied but if i would ever touch this sh*t finasteride this would be only this way, through topical and at a minimum amount.

There is a thread about this on this forum also but i can't seem to find it, something named just like this i think "microdosing topical finasteride" or something like that. Search by Mazzarella study or something can't remember exactly. And if you google topical finasteride you will find all the info available about it and all the studies ever made on it.

Topical finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. Preliminary evaluations after a 16-month therapy course

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09546639709160517

Stratman95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wish I had started oral minoxidil sooner. I messed with topical for a year or so but it basically just made a mess on my scalp and was a pain in the ***. I'm still on the fence with Finasteride and whether its good or bad, for me. If your hair is thin start low dose oral minoxidil soon. My opinion.
Is it working? How are the sides?

Stratman95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, the topical finasteride studies are just very few and some of them contradict eachother, some did no analysis of the serum DHT reduction and some did. From what i have read, a microdosing of topical finasteride like in the Mazzarella study seems to be harmless to the serum DHT and it actually has a benefit on the scalp DHT and also on hair regrowth, or at least maintenance. I saw some anecdotal reports also that sounded encouraging. We need more studies, we need more information about the ingredients and how they were applied but if i would ever touch this sh*t finasteride this would be only this way, through topical and at a minimum amount.

There is a thread about this on this forum also but i can't seem to find it, something named just like this i think "microdosing topical finasteride" or something like that. Search by Mazzarella study or something can't remember exactly. And if you google topical finasteride you will find all the info available about it and all the studies ever made on it.

Topical finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. Preliminary evaluations after a 16-month therapy course

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09546639709160517
Thanks mate, appreciate it. As I said, I'm fortunate enough to be super early in this process, and it doesn't seem to be massively rapid or aggressive in those relatives who did go bald. So if I can keep my hair for another 15-20 years, there's probably going to be a lot more treatment wise I can consider. Unless I get plowed by a semi.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it working? How are the sides?

I started oral Min just 20 days ago so too early to see the results. I was supposed to start taking it after my transplant Oct 2019 but I was too worried about sides, like dark eyes and saw someone day it affected their sleep (I already have sleep problems) so went back and forth mentally until finally getting comfortable early this month but at half the dose my Dr. perscribed. No sides so far. According to my hair surgeon the oral min results she sees are wayyyyyy better than topical results. She told me not to waste my time with topical.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started oral Min just 20 days ago so too early to see the results. I was supposed to start taking it after my transplant Oct 2019 but I was too worried about sides, like dark eyes and saw someone day it affected their sleep (I already have sleep problems) so went back and forth mentally until finally getting comfortable early this month but at half the dose my Dr. perscribed. No sides so far. According to my hair surgeon the oral min results she sees are wayyyyyy better than topical results. She told me not to waste my time with topical.

Hope you don't get permanent heart damage from it. I really don't understand how it was banned from heart diseases prescriptions and even the topical can give heart issues but these idiot transplant surgeon idiots and some dermatologists recently prescribe it off label for hair loss. And yes i know it's not the same dosage as it was prescribed for heart issues but still, it can cause permanent damage and heart failure, it's mind blowing how stupid people are becoming and what are they able in doing for their vanity, absolutely mind blowing..

Last edited:

devz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 23 yo, I stopped finasteride 9 months ago and now my diffuse pattern is destorying my all hair, I'm losing density and hair start look like sh*t. I can't go on finasteride, what can I do to regrowth and try to save my hair for more years?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks mate, appreciate it. As I said, I'm fortunate enough to be super early in this process, and it doesn't seem to be massively rapid or aggressive in those relatives who did go bald. So if I can keep my hair for another 15-20 years, there's probably going to be a lot more treatment wise I can consider. Unless I get plowed by a semi.

Here, read this it's new

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/topical-finasteride/

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hope you don't get permanent heart damage from it. I really don't understand how it was banned from heart diseases prescriptions and even the topical can give heart issues but these idiot transplant surgeon idiots and some dermatologists recently prescribe it off label for hair loss. And yes i know it's not the same dosage as it was prescribed for heart issues but still, it can cause permanent damage and heart failure, it's mind blowing how stupid people are becoming and what are they able in doing for their vanity, absolutely vanity..

Yep, I'm hoping the same thing.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i wish you the best, but do tests from now and then and try to stay as healthy as you can, good luck

Thanks, yep, thats part of the reason I take half the dose, so that I limit the sides. My genetics are heart strong... its the cancer that will get me.