What do you think of the Violence Against Women Act?

Reaction score
It was originally passed in 1994 by Bill Clinton. I'm offended it is not called the Violence Against People Act. It provides funding for prosecutors to go after spouse beaters. It requires arrests if there is probable cause, gives money per arrest, and says arrest and prosecution is mandatory even if the victim backs out. Some states or local jurisdictions require officers to arrest someone once dispatched. Once a conviction is reached, sentencing and restitution are mandatory.

The law does not look at why domestic violence occurs. It focuses on policing rather than on making marriage more fair or providing more shelters. Also, most local jurisdictions do not aid male victims, going against the law.

I asked my political science instructor what reason men hit women. He said they just love power and have no other reason. At least the guest speakers said that men are frequently victims too.

From what I've read in online comments, victims are people who don't know how to use existing laws to their advantage, whereas attackers are often people who do know how to use the laws to their advantage. Often extra policing laws only serve to give attackers more tools. They recommend more and better shelters instead of more policing.