What do you guys think about these pics? How bad?

Ridgerunner_7

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys...still a little confused, but thankyou. My girlfriend says I shouldn't do anything. She says thinning hair is no big deal and if it gets really bad to just shave it. She says she will still be attracted to me, but I worry about it alot. I've heard girls say they ended relationships because the guy started going bald. To say I'm beating myself up over this is an understatement, but I understand I'm in the same boat as a ton of other guys and my situation isn't that bad yet. Right now I'm happy, I enjoy working out, I'm in a good relationship with a baby on the way, i have tons of energy, enjoy my job, have a decent outlook on life in general, etc.....I'm terrified that finasteride might ruin some of the stuff that I love so much just to save my hair. I just want to shave it, but I have a lightbulb head and bad scars on my forehead from a car accident.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless you are very unlucky, finasteride won't ruin anything. If it does - stop taking it - nuf said. Either way, you will be no worse off having taken it and only have something to gain.

bubka

Reaction score
Shawnab said:
Does not change the fact that his opinion is right and you're just flaming. :bravo:

Someone who has been wasteing their lives on these forums for 5 years and someone who has been on these forums for 5 days pretty much know the exact same information on each pill and drug.. because it's all individual speculation and bullshit backed up with no real evidence.

Propecia is not a good option for him.. he has very mild thinning, propecia would force him into a daily pill for the rest of his life that has possible side effects and good chance of shed.

Rogain foam or Nizoral 2% are the best options for someone with such mild thinning. NOT both and NOT the Big 3.
christ, now this a**h** is giving BS advice

Shawnab

Reaction score
Axl_Rose said:
Shawnab said:
propecia would force him into a daily pill for the rest of his life that has possible side effects
You could say the same thing about rogaine, once you start it you just can't stop when you're hair gets better, you think the hair that rogaine helped will still stay there without it?

Shawnab said:
and good chance of shed.
Again, same can be said with rogaine.

finasteride is also a pill, and much like all pills has a point of immunity.. taking finasteride right now, is out of the question.. if he starts thinning rapidly at 45 there will be no hope if he takes finasteride now.

And it's completely obvious that Rogaine also causes shed and is a reliance, but it is far less of a reliance and risk than what finasteride is. Even looking at most cases of growth in the crown area, rogaine is superior.

Bubka, what exactly would good advice be? You still have not given us your all powerful opinion on this case.. just alot of pointless trolling from a dude that is still bald after being on these forums for 2 years.

ali777

Reaction score
Ridgerunner_7 said:
Thanks for the input guys...still a little confused, but thankyou. My girlfriend says I shouldn't do anything. She says thinning hair is no big deal and if it gets really bad to just shave it. She says she will still be attracted to me, but I worry about it alot. I've heard girls say they ended relationships because the guy started going bald. To say I'm beating myself up over this is an understatement, but I understand I'm in the same boat as a ton of other guys and my situation isn't that bad yet. Right now I'm happy, I enjoy working out, I'm in a good relationship with a baby on the way, i have tons of energy, enjoy my job, have a decent outlook on life in general, etc.....I'm terrified that finasteride might ruin some of the stuff that I love so much just to save my hair. I just want to shave it, but I have a lightbulb head and bad scars on my forehead from a car accident.

You are lucky that your girlfriend is not shallow. To be honest, most of my bald or balding friends have nice girlfriends/wives. If you don't want to do anything about it, just get over it and enjoy life. I told my ex I was losing hair once, and she said: "oh well, just shave it". It's not a big deal for most women.

It probably comes as a shock to you that you are getting old, and you find it hard to accept with everything else being so good in your life. But that's life, get over it. Focus on the good parts of your life.

Ridgerunner_7

Reaction score
Ok, what's the average case scenario for each:

Nizoral?
Slow down thinning? Stop thinning?

minoxidil?
Slow down thinning? Grow new hair?
Can I expect much from from using just Nizoral 1% and minoxidil?

finasteride?
slow down or stop thinning? Maybe regrow? Probably some mild side effects?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Some people say minoxidil destroys your original hair and grows the "minoxidil" hair instead. The makers of Regaine claim otherwise though.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Amarant said:
Some people say minoxidil destroys your original hair and grows the "minoxidil" hair instead. The makers of Regaine claim otherwise though.

And so do many in the Success Stories forum.

If Minoxidil destroyed your original hair you'd go completely bald when you applied it. The only hair it might "destroy" is miniaturized hair that was barely hanging on by a thread anyway. Hair which was most likely in a telogen phase anyway.

Non male pattern baldness hair is very resilient. There are few things that when applied topically will cause a healthy anagen phase hair to fall out - minoxidil definitely not being one.

Shawnab

Reaction score
Ridgerunner_7 said:
Ok, what's the average case scenario for each:

Nizoral?
Slow down thinning? Stop thinning?

minoxidil?
Slow down thinning? Grow new hair?
Can I expect much from from using just Nizoral 1% and minoxidil?

finasteride?
slow down or stop thinning? Maybe regrow? Probably some mild side effects?

How long has the thinning been going on, is balding in your family? (father, grandfather etc..)

Nizoral: Thickens hair w/ chance of regrowing hair.

minoxidil: Good chance of hair regrowth, good chance of shedding, unless you have male pattern baldness I don't see you shedding.

finasteride: Best chance of regrowing hair, with the obvious risks (1% maby..) and shedding.

The risks get larger as you go down the list, but so does the rewards, there is no harm in going with Nizoral for 3 months, then evaluating then jumping on minoxidil + Nizoral 2%.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Ridge - as I've said previously, you are in a very similar situation to me. Check out a thread I posted a couple of years back - I have only regressed slightly since then:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23275

Do not listen to the scaremongers here. If you do want to try to keep your hair (and maybe you don't) start using finasteride and nizoral now and see how you are in 12 months. Nizoral is just a shampoo and has no side effects other than perhaps drying your hair out a bit. You are unlikely to get side effects with finasteride, but if you do and don't want to try to power through them, just stop using it and your sides will disappear. IMO, minoxidil is a bit of a hassle, so I would save that as a last resort. Another thing you might want to look into as an adjunct to finasteride are copper peptide sprays such as Tricomin, which are topical, have no side effects whatsoever - they are meant to increase the growth phase of your hair and may give maintenance / mild regrowth.

You *may* go through a shed period shortly after starting any treatment - I didn't - however, this is usually an indication that the treatment is working well and hair will usually grow in better and stronger.

Def

whitegro

Reaction score
Its not that bad.. Get on finasteride (Propecia / 1mg Proscar), and that crown should thicken up or at least not get any worse.

It will get worse over time, no doubt about that. But still very controllable and treatable at this stage and at your age of 30..

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
my hair loss is no where NEAR as bad as his...and his isnt bad at all....but as soon as i noticed a little thinning (2 years ago) I got on the propecia...i dont regret it at all cuz my hair loss stablized soon after starting finasteride....

tgates209

Established Member
Reaction score
Shawnab said:
bubka said:
Amarant said:
I don't think you even need Propecia. Just start putting some Regaine on your bald spot and it will completely disappear with a year or so. If it gets really progressive, get on Propecia. And when you start losing your hairline, get on Regaine and Propecia combo. Don't know anything about Nizoral.
I love this guy, five days ago he didn't know what propecia was, not he is giving advice for it :jackit:

Does not change the fact that his opinion is right and you're just flaming. :bravo:

Someone who has been wasteing their lives on these forums for 5 years and someone who has been on these forums for 5 days pretty much know the exact same information on each pill and drug.. because it's all individual speculation and bullshit backed up with no real evidence.

Propecia is not a good option for him.. he has very mild thinning, propecia would force him into a daily pill for the rest of his life that has possible side effects and good chance of shed.

Rogain foam or Nizoral 2% are the best options for someone with such mild thinning. NOT both and NOT the Big 3.
I'm glad I read through these posts. This one is particularly pertinent to me. I am not necessarily losing my hairline, but it is thinning a lot. I can't do any of the bouffant styles anymore (probably a good thing). I don't believe I have any thinning on the top either. I can definitely see the pattern coming soon to resemble a Norwood 2 or something. In my case, is taking a pill needed considering the potential side effects? I don't think so, so I just started Rogaine 5% and Nizoral 1%. I'm gonna do the 3 month case of Rogaine and then take a close look at my hair. If I see even the slightest change, I will go another 3 months and reassess.

This was a helpful post for me. Thanks.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm, you are in good shape atm but whatever you choose to do, do it quickly because IMO it could accelerate V. quickly from how it is to a total decimation of your hair if you do nothing. The thinning extends all the way down to a Norwood 7 region at the back there, IMO this is a BAD signal for further thinning. Basically what Im saying here is it will be exponentially harder to do anything in about a year or two than it is now...

Ridgerunner_7

Reaction score
So is it rediculous to think that the 4 step Nioxin process and Nizoral shampoo will save my hair. I don't think I'm going to go with propecia. Just too worried about the sides and my hair isn't worth risking that stuff to me.

tgates209

Established Member
Reaction score
Ridgerunner_7 said:
So is it rediculous to think that the 4 step Nioxin process and Nizoral shampoo will save my hair. I don't think I'm going to go with propecia. Just too worried about the sides and my hair isn't worth risking that stuff to me.
I think I would agree with you. I recall your pictures and your situation is very mild at worst. You look like you could get away with taking your hair way down because you are in shape.