What did balding men do in the 70, 80s & 90s before hair systems were as cheap & as good as today?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holly sh*t! Kirk was bald?!

In that pic of his hairline, it looks like they failed to trim off the excess lace (or whataever material it is) at the front of the hairline, otherwise it would've looked fine. That seems like a pretty silly oversight for them not to trim it.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is very well known to be fair

This always makes me chuckle; he was stealing his toupee's from the Star Trek set: https://boingboing.net/2015/11/11/what-happened-to-all-the-star.html (Point to note - $200 is approx $1,500 adjusted for inflation today).

Interesting list of famous Hollywood toupee wearers: https://www.genekellyfans.com/did-gene-kelly-wear-a-hairpiece.html

I wonder how the knowledge that they wore hairpieces got out to the public? If I was a famous actor/musician/celebrity etc I would want to keep it very secret that I wear hair.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In that pic of his hairline, it looks like they failed to trim off the excess lace (or whataever material it is) at the front of the hairline, otherwise it would've looked fine. That seems like a pretty silly oversight for them not to trim it.

Its really not as bad as i expected it to be, honestly.
when i used to think about hair systems from that era i always immagine gluing a dead cat to somones head, the kind of thing visible from miles.
but Kirk's system looks great, hair density, color, even the hair line is realistic! If it wasn't for that extra bit of lace it would be a 10/10

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The reason for keeping the hairline excess so long is due to the wear and tear of daily application and removal for the number of months it took to film the series. As I said, they knew it wouldn't be visible on television at that time, so it made perfect sense.
The same is done in theatre. No-one in the audience is going to notice, and it gives the hairline of the wig the longevity required for months or years of wear.