What convinced you to get a system?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny you should say that^

I've always been fascinated with wigs, I'm a tricophile and changed my hairstyle drasticeally and often, so I coveted the freedom to go from, say, a crew cut to a long-ish shaggy style overnight. When I noticed I was losing my hair, I knew I was going to wear a piece eventually.

And yet... the thing that ultimately pushed me to transition from concealers several years later was having a crush on another guy. Some months earlier I had deliberately sabotaged a blind date with a guy who annoyed me a little on the phone by going really heavy on the toppik, and he was visibly disappointed. Even though that was the desired reaction, I didn't want to chance it with the boy of my dreams iykwim

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finally took the plunge last week. Suck at DYI so went to a local salon who did a real good job and very very satisfied with it.

I'm in my early 50s with a very young face but weird, shitty hair (look like a Norwood 5-6 from a distance but lots of short colorless (but long) hair all over, especially in the front at some angles up close could even look like I had a slight hairline) so got away with Toppik for years, especially because I was at temporary jobs where I didn't see the same people every day. Feel in recent years Toppik, etc. was starting to look real bad. Even with Toppik people had me at around 40 give or take a year or two and not my real age.

Couldn't afford a good hair system solution for a long time but job and financial fortunes turned around a couple of years ago and experimented with DYI hair systems and wasn't very good at it. COVID came and was working off Zoom so figured I'd get away with the Toppik a little while longer. Was long frustrated with limits of concealors (not being able to wear hats or helmets because some of it always comes off with your hat no matter how much strong hair spray I'd put on it) always worrying about bumping my head, downpours, coming off in bed (or having to take it off before bed and redo the next morning)), and current job convinced me it was time to try again. I'm a teacher at an unusual charter school that emphasizes rewarding the kids with trips, many of which involve going in water, being outside when it can suddenly rain, or wearing helmets (one trip is to go to a place with indoor go karts, another involves biking). If I didn't do something, sometime this coming school year it would blow up in my face. So took advantage of summer break (so when I return to work colleagues haven't seen me for 2 months and won't suspect as much) did research, checked out a few local salons and picked one.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Weird that I see so many younger bald guys with hot girlfriends then. Men lose their hair women know this. If you honestly put hair in the same category of life and death I really think you need to speak to someone.
I agree that it may actually not be as important as it seems to us. But I'm rather on the side that it is important right now.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seeing how much better I could look with it, knowing my dad does it and seeing how good it looks with him, and figuring out how easy and relatively stress-free it can be to maintain.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seeing how much better I could look with it, knowing my dad does it and seeing how good it looks with him, and figuring out how easy and relatively stress-free it can be to maintain.

That was actually me as well (though I was much younger and mostly with hair when my dad did it as he passed 20 or so years ago but I got to see what you're saying). Also had an uncle who did the same who only passed this year.

Last edited:

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lived my 20s as a bald guy, figured I did my time, now I'm living my 30s as a guy with hair.
It's true what the say, your 30s are like your 20s but with more money. :p

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope, I actually have less money in my 30's without a job and using my savings to buy hair systems.
Sorry to hear but this is certainly not the norm. I was dead broke in my 20s, and as I started to build my skills in marketing my income grew astronomically. Your earning potential should increase as you age. Perhaps it's time to change jobs/careers.