what causes body hair to grow?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Since body hair and facial hair growth reacts oppositely to androgens for some unknown reason I think its directly related to male pattern baldness. So from the current understanding what is the cause of facial hair and body is it just solely DHT or is there more to it then that?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Since body hair and facial hair growth reacts oppositely to androgens for some unknown reason I think its directly related to male pattern baldness.

Beg pardon?? :dunno:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Body hair grows because the follicles are genetically predisposed to grow. Now, a lot of males without much body hair in their late teens or early 20s can often prohibit much new growth while on anti-androgens. This isn't always successful, though, meaning we don't know how much androgens like DHT matter in new body hair growth.

Most people report that beard density continues to increase while on finasteride, though, and there are a couple of studies that show facial hair EXCLUSIVELY reacts to higher amounts of testosterone. Neither of the two studies I've seen on this were conclusive, but believed it was at least a causal factor.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The real question I ask is what does science know so far about body hair or facial hair growth? It seems to me there is a large market for suppressing body hair and facial which seems it would work for male pattern baldness also.
Does DHT and testosterone play a role in facial hair growth in men? Judging by the fact most women I know do not get any I would venture to say yes, but are androgens cancelled out by say high estrogen or how does the balance of hormones work or dont we know yet?
It has always seemed to me that we need to inhibit testosterone somehow and not just DHT if we want to completely stop male pattern baldness. DHT is much more potent, but testosterone still binds to receptor sites so it seems like hair loss would always continue at a much slower pace.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Bryan said:
abcdefg said:
Since body hair and facial hair growth reacts oppositely to androgens for some unknown reason I think its directly related to male pattern baldness.

Beg pardon?? :dunno:

Oh I meant body hair growth is supported or triggered by androgens while head hair as we know is inhibited.

Defiance

Established Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure finasteride completely stops body hair /beard growth in some cases. My Dad and other male relatives can grow decent beards, my facial hair was just starting to become something at 20 then i started taking finasteride. Two years later and it hasn't changed a bit, thickened up or anything..sucks

abcdefg

Reaction score
I just ask because my hair loss is not that bad but I have that itch and it just recently moved to the front. It seems like as my hair loss gets worse I am getting more facial hair/ body hair. I have noticed 95 percent of men with teenage Norwood 0 hair at like 30 or older all have zero facial hair and I assume body hair like koreans and asians. It just seems like there is a very strong link there also including the fact women would be in the same category. I wonder if how your facial hair growth reacts to finasteride correlates at all to how your head hair responds to finasteride?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for oral spironolactone to thin out my facial hair as well so I hope it's true that T is what governs body hair growth. My facial hair is somewhat thick and fast growing so it would be nice for it to grow less vigorously.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knew anything. I thought I remember reading some small study somewhere that found DHT triggers facial hair to start growing and then testosterone keeps it growing and makes it more dense.
I just notice a very high amount of guys with zero facial hair that never lose their hair and very very few with dense facial hair and not some advanced Norwood level. Women also fitting that category generally speaking there are always exceptions.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Just curious if anyone knew anything. I thought I remember reading some small study somewhere that found DHT triggers facial hair to start growing and then testosterone keeps it growing and makes it more dense.
I just notice a very high amount of guys with zero facial hair that never lose their hair and very very few with dense facial hair and not some advanced Norwood level. Women also fitting that category generally speaking there are always exceptions.

I agree with this. I think that once the elite forces of DHT busts down the gates, the regular infantry of T can successfully complete the invasion. This is especially true for the temporal regions of the hairline. That is why oral spironolactone can give awesome results and even regrowth there. It is the only thing that can actually defeat the onslaught of T once the gates have been busted down. The town will still sustain some damages, but hopefully it will get away relatively unscathed when the forces of spironolactone battle back the forces of T.

abcdefg

Reaction score
We know what to do the problem is how to do it. I still have great reservations as lots of men probably do about even using propecia since its not a good idea to change your hormone levels like that over the long term. Those hormones are too important to change around without us knowing exactly what they all do and we certainly do not know that. I am waiting for hopefully a safer way to do it or maybe just more studies to reassure me propecia is okay to use for 30 years and that estrogen levels stay normal for that long.