What can be done to reverse grey hair?

Ghc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started to get grey hair at 20, reason is stress no doubt, I was very stressed and grey kept increasing everyday.
Now at 30 I have a lot of grey hair and it stopped increasing, but I can't reverse it, even though I significantly lowered my stress levels.

At the beginning of this year (january 2020) it was finally proven that stress cause grey hair (pegasus2 posted it already)

Hyperactivation of sympathetic nerves drives depletion of melanocyte stem cells​

Also in even newer study this year (may 2020), they showed that reducing stress can reverse some of newer grey hair.
(google it, as a new member, forum doesn't allow me to post links):

Human Hair Graying is Naturally Reversible and Linked to Stress​

I don't know why my grey hair is not reversing, maybe by reducing stress you can only reverse hair that went grey recently.
For a grey hair that is grey for a long time we probably need something much stronger than reducing stress.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gray hair reversal is easier than hair loss reversal, so I don't think it's a losing battle. People have success with just supplements. Hell, I had success just by eliminating stress. Went from gray hairs mixed in everywhere at 24 to not a single gray hair at 26. The older you get the harder it is to reverse it, but I think if you created a hardcore stack to target gray hair you could have a lot of success. Of course targeting hair loss is a million times more important.
Yeah, stress is a b**ch. I had the same problem once. I am getting stressed again and a lot of gray hairs are appearing. I will have a look on those supplements. If they work, why not give them a try?

I will try a hair transplant soon maybe... I want to have a hairline of a 5 years old child again.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 34 and my hair is just starting to grey a little. Do I care? Not at all. I don't care about my hair losing its colour. I just care that I have hair.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there one or two compounds you recommend to begin with in hopes of battling graying? I've been graying since 17, and should be completely gray be the time i hit 40.
You can start simple with PABA, l-tyrosine. They are cheap, and there's no harm in taking them

Chill dude

Established Member
Reaction score
Embrace it if you’re not too young. Nothing wrong with turning grey in your early 30s, the footballer Robert lewandowski who is 31 has started to grey at the sides and he suits it.

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Embrace it if you’re not too young. Nothing wrong with turning grey in your early 30s, the footballer Robert lewandowski who is 31 has started to grey at the sides and he suits it.
That guy's attractive but he looks 47.
Hyperactivation of sympathetic nerves drives depletion of melanocyte stem cells
@pegasus2 This is the same mechanism as goose bumps right or does it only cause greying under conditions of stress? I know you talked about norepinephrine already in one of the other shh threads. After starting my regimen I've been able to experience goosebumps on the top of my head whereas before I only felt them in the horseshoe region. Currently I don't experience them all the way up to the front of my hairline but maybe it'll happen with time.

Last edited:

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can start simple with PABA, l-tyrosine. They are cheap, and there's no harm in taking them

I think those are among the main ingredients in tanning tablets.
Might make one's freckles markedly widen and darken after exposure to sunny weather???

Last edited:

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score

Medication-Induced Repigmentation of Gray Hair: A Systematic Review [2020]​

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/504414
Hair graying is a common sign of aging resulting from complex regulation of melanogenesis. Currently, there is no medical treatment available for hair repigmentation. In this article we review the literature on medication-induced hair repigmentation, discuss the potential mechanisms of action, and review the quality of the literary data. To date, there have been 27 studies discussing medication-induced gray hair repigmentation, including 6 articles on gray hair repigmentation as a primary objective, notably with psoralen treatment or vitamin supplementation, and 21 reports on medication-induced gray hair repigmentation as an incidental finding. Medications noted in the literature include anti-inflammatory medications (thalidomide, lenalidomide, adalimumab, acitretin, etretinate, prednisone, cyclosporin, cisplatinum, interferon-α, and psoralen), stimulators of melanogenesis (latanoprost, erlotinib, imatinib, tamoxifen, and levodopa), vitamins (calcium pantothenate and para-amino benzoic acid), a medication that accumulates in tissues (clofazimine), and a medication with an undetermined mechanism (captopril). Diffuse repigmentation of gray hair can be induced by certain medications that inhibit inflammation or stimulate melanogenesis. There is also low-quality evidence that some vitamin B complex supplementation can promote gray hair darkening. While these compounds are not currently indicated for the treatment of gray hair, their mechanisms shed light on targets for future medications for hair repigmentation.

Biology of hair pigmentation and its role in premature canities [2017]​

http://www.pigmentinternational.com...me=4;issue=1;spage=7;epage=12;aulast=Sehrawat
The pathogenesis of premature canities is not yet clear but various hypotheses have been suggested including alteration in pH and cysteine levels in melanosomes, the role of trace metal ions, vitamin B12 and folic acid, vitamin D3, and oxidative stress.
The management options are limited and mostly of unproven efficacy. Among the earliest options, P-aminobenzoic acid was tried by Sieve as early as 1941 with a dose of 100 mg thrice daily in 460 patients of gray hair with a response rate of 82% but the graying reverted back again in 2–4 weeks after stopping the treatment. The mechanism of action was unclear with frequent side effects especially gastrointestinal upset.[22] Calcium pantothenate has also been used successfully in dosage of 200 mg/day.[4]

Premature graying of hair [2013]​

http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?is...=79;issue=5;spage=641;epage=653;aulast=Pandhi
Temporary hair darkening has been reported after ingestion of large doses of p-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) though the mechanism of action is unknown. [18],[65],[66] In a study comprising 460 gray-haired individuals, 100 mg three times daily of PABA caused darkening of hair in 82% patients within 2-4 months. However, relapse was evident at 2-4 weeks after drug cessation. [18],[65] Zarafonetis reported repigmentation of hair with 12-20 g of PABA. [66] Pasricha et al. reported successful use of 200 mg of calcium pantothenate daily in two girls having premature graying of hair. On a follow-up of 29 and 13 months, respectively, 300 and 1069 gray hair were counted to have got converted into black hair. Hair with a proximal black portion and a distal gray part were termed as converted hair. [67] In another study, they combined calcium pantothenate with gray hair avulsion; at every 3-monthly follow-up, all gray hair were avulsed from the root while any converted hair was snipped at the gray-black junction. They found the combination of gray hair avulsion and calcium pantothenate to be more effective than calcium pantothenate used alone. [68] Brandaleone et al., however, used 200 mg of PABA with 100 mg of calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5) and 50 g of brewer's yeast for 8 months to patients with gray hair without any success. [69] Pavithran et al. reported PUVASOL to be effective in almost two-thirds of patients with premature graying. [70]

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1986:

'Puvasol Therapy in Premature Greying of Hair

Accidental observation of cure of premature greying in a patient who had lten on PUVASOL therapy for psoriasis made the author to try this form of therapy in 37 patients with premature greying. Majority (59.09%) of the patients were aged between 10 and 15 years. Complete repigmentation of the hairs was noted in 17 patients after treatment. Seven patients responded only partially, and in 8 there was no response at all.'

May, 2018:

'A 61-year-old man with a 2-year history of plaque psoriasis treated only with topical steroids and calcipotriol was referred for a flare up of his skin disease associated with a weight loss of 10 kg. He had arterial hypertension for which he had been treated with valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide for 7 years. A histologically confirmed erythrodermic psoriasis was diagnosed, affecting 90% of his body including the scalp, with a Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) score of 41. The patient was administered secukinumab that induced complete clinical resolution at week 12 (PASI 0) with regain of the original weight. As a young man, the patient had brown hair, which began whitening by the age of 45 years. After 6 months of therapy with secukinumab, the patient, who also had androgenetic alopecia type II/III noticed that his scalp hair, which had been totally gray/white for 10 years (Fig 1, A) was becoming darker over the entire scalp with a diffuse increased hair density of approximately 15% (Fig 1, B). Trichoscopy confirmed hair repigmentation with some vellus hairs. The patient remains on secukinumab therapy with persistence of hair darkening after a follow-up of 10 months.'

gr1.jpg

That's the fifth psoriasis treatment I've learned of, that improved hair health:

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't think there is anything out yet to reverse grey hair, he shou wu sounds a bit like snake oil plus it increases T. Im going grey quite badly at 31, especially on my sides, im just going to dye it after my next hair cut, don't know if i should use just for men or go the natural route and try henna, my hair is close to black.

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At the beginning of this year (january 2020) it was finally proven that stress cause grey hair (pegasus2 posted it already)

Hyperactivation of sympathetic nerves drives depletion of melanocyte stem cells​

'Stress always elevates levels of the hormone cortisol in the body, so we thought that cortisol might play a role,” [Harvard professor] Hsu said. “But surprisingly, when we removed the adrenal gland from the mice so that they couldn’t produce cortisol-like hormones, their hair still turned gray under stress.”

After systematically eliminating different possibilities, the researchers honed in on the sympathetic nerve system, which is responsible for the body’s fight-or-flight response. Sympathetic nerves branch out into each hair follicle on the skin. The team’s experiments showed that stress causes these nerves to release noradrenaline, which gets taken up by the nearby MeSC pigment-regenerating stem cells.

Norepinephrine drives rapid depletion of melanocyte stem cells and hair graying. [Bing Zhang and Ya-Chieh Hsu]The noradrenaline then triggers excessive activation of the stem cells, which effectively all convert into pigment-producing cells, prematurely depleting the reservoir.

“Under conditions of stress, the activation of these sympathetic nerves leads to burst release of the neurotransmitter noradrenaline (also known as norepinephrine),” the team explained. “This causes quiescent melanocyte stem cells to proliferate rapidly, and is followed by their differentiation, migration and permanent depletion from the niche.”' o_O

Last edited:

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
August, 2017:

'Epilation [hair-plucking] induces hair and skin pigmentation through an EDN3/EDNRB-dependent regenerative response of melanocyte stem cells

In response to various types of injury, melanocyte stem cells (McSCs) located in the bulge of hair follicles can regenerate mature melanocytes for hair and skin pigmentation. How McSCs respond to injury, however, remains largely unknown. Here we show that after epilation of mice, McSCs regenerate follicular and epidermal melanocytes, resulting in skin and hair hyperpigmentation. We further show that epilation leads to endogenous EDN3 upregulation in the dermal papilla, the secondary hair germ cells, and the epidermis. Genetic and pharmacological disruption of the EDN3 receptor EDNRB in vivo significantly blocks the effect of epilation on follicular and epidermal melanocyte regeneration as well as skin and hair hyperpigmentation. Taken together, these results indicate that epilation induces McSCs activation through EDN3/EDNRB signaling and in turn leads to skin and hair hyperpigmentation. The findings suggest that EDN/EDNRB signaling may serve as a potential therapeutic target to promote repigmentation in hypopigmentation disorders.'

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
'Stress always elevates levels of the hormone cortisol in the body, so we thought that cortisol might play a role,” [Harvard professor] Hsu said. “But surprisingly, when we removed the adrenal gland from the mice so that they couldn’t produce cortisol-like hormones, their hair still turned gray under stress.”

After systematically eliminating different possibilities, the researchers honed in on the sympathetic nerve system, which is responsible for the body’s fight-or-flight response. Sympathetic nerves branch out into each hair follicle on the skin. The team’s experiments showed that stress causes these nerves to release noradrenaline, which gets taken up by the nearby MeSC pigment-regenerating stem cells.

Norepinephrine drives rapid depletion of melanocyte stem cells and hair graying. [Bing Zhang and Ya-Chieh Hsu]The noradrenaline then triggers excessive activation of the stem cells, which effectively all convert into pigment-producing cells, prematurely depleting the reservoir.

“Under conditions of stress, the activation of these sympathetic nerves leads to burst release of the neurotransmitter noradrenaline (also known as norepinephrine),” the team explained. “This causes quiescent melanocyte stem cells to proliferate rapidly, and is followed by their differentiation, migration and permanent depletion from the niche.”' o_O

Beta blockers block norepinephrine. They are cheap and widely available. If they worked internally we would have known by now, but what about topically?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Beta blockers block norepinephrine. They are cheap and widely available. If they worked internally we would have known by now, but what about topically?
Bad idea unless you want to lose more hair.

Dyed hair always looks bad in the same way that cosmetic surgery & hair transplants always look bad. You don't notice the good ones.
Unless you dye it all the time you're always going to have roots showing. I can't dye my hair every day.

Last edited:

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to promote or sell anything but the famous Regenepure Dr Shampoo also improved my grey hair. And it wasn't just the grey hair, my entire scalp and hair are rejuvenated and healthier. (I'm also taking avodart and Rene Furterer's VITALFAN food supplement, which probably also played an important part in this)

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
A change in epigenetic information can induce a reverse in hair color. Starting a ketogenic diet has induced that kind of response in some people, as well as restarting menstrual periods in old menopaused women.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
These studies show that EDN induces melanocyte stem cell production.

Taken together, our results suggest that age‐related dysfunction between ET‐1 in follicular KSCs and endothelin receptor B (Ednrb) in follicular MSCs via cumulative hair cycles is correlated with hair graying with aging.
We found significantly higher protein expression levels of ETs in those bulges with black hairs than in those with white hairs in RET‐mice (Figure S12). In addition to a more than 70% decrease in the expression of ETs in bulges, more than 60% and more than 90% decreases in the levels of Ednrb expression in MSCs were found in aged RET‐mice with mild hair graying and aged Ednrb(+/−); RET‐mice with severe hair graying, respectively.
Decreased ET‐1‐mediated decrease of Ednrb expression may be possible because a previous in vitro study showed that Ednrb expression level in melanocytic cells was decreased by reduction of ligand stimulation through a competitive inhibitor (BQ788) for ET‐1 (Lahav et al., 2004). Our study also showed that decreased ET‐1 resulted in decreases in the expression levels of EDNRB...Taken together, these results suggest a mechanism for hair graying through a decreased level of Ednrb expression (receptor) in MSCs caused by a decreased level of ET‐1 (ligand) in KSCs

ET-1 is upregulated by vitamin D, and hypoxia. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with canities. Vitamin D or another VDR agonist like calcipotriol would be beneficial for both hair pigmentation and growth.

For about $15,000 you can get 10kg of Ednrb agonist SPI-1620. This stuff probably isn't safe to use.

These upregulate/downregulate EDN1.

EDN1.PNG

Last edited:

jamesrav2

Reaction score
although it contains lead acetate (no doubt a bad thing), the Youth Hair cream does work, it's a simple chemical reaction that returns hair to a semblance of its former color. You just have to keep at it, 2x / month or more. I dilute the cream in some water into a spray bottle and spray it onto a plastic bag, then gently rub that around my scalp. I then put the bag on and go to sleep. By morning, already a change. Supposedly staying in the sun also helps the process. If I did it 2x / week for a month I'm sure it would return a lot of color.

karadayi

Reaction score
Sorry I'm illiterate. So what exactly is the solution to reverse greying? Especially if I just hit 30's.

Desolation

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry I'm illiterate. So what exactly is the solution to reverse greying? Especially if I just hit 30's.
You can try using EUK 134 0.1% from the ordinary (it mimics SOD& Catalase) or try some products with Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide 20 AKA "Greyverse".