What Are Your Thoughts On Scalp Massages?

JustAnotherNoob

Established Member
Reaction score
I always read about scalp massaging and stimulating blood flow but its way too much work to sit here and massage my head every day. I ran across this item on amazon and wanted to bring the topic up again -- what does everyone think about the effect of daily scalp massages to stimulate blood flow in the scalp (in combination with other treatments obviously)?

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Profes...words=scalp+massager+electric#customerReviews

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do it all the time. It can't do any harm and it will improve blood flow to the scalp which is good. I think it's good to add to any regime.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought about this but I am just too lazy to bother. I know that sounds sad but I work out 4 times a week, work a full time job, ect, ect. I hardly every have time to think about it.

I have tried ice though. Hasn't been long but I am hoping it works. Does the same thing by increasing circulation but I just have to put an ice back on top my head for 20 minutes then I am done.

DarkVctry

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the medical journals on it, and from what ive gathered scalp massaging does not regrow or maintain hair BUT it is however proven to increase the diameter of existing hairs. Take that with a pinch of salt lol.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried to do this for about a month last year and just started doing so again. I definitely feel it increases scalp laxity, as I hear a "crunching" sound which I assume is fibrotic tissue being broken up. This crunching tends to lessen the more I do the massages. One thing I'm wondering whether others have experienced is that I get a TON of oil release from my scalp after just a couple of minutes of vigorous massage - and normally my scalp is not oily, at least not visibly.

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been doing it about a year now (deep as instructed by perfecthairhealth) and have added dermarolling about a month ago. My crown and most of the scalp has dramatically loosened, scalp itch pretty much gone and I'm working on a tough spot on the front and lower back of the head. Recently started pinching long ways after focusing on horizontally for too long and noticed there's plenty of tough spots between the horizontal ridges that now form easily due to the loosening. I did feel a big jump in progress after adding dermarolling and a lot of the hair on top feels thicker now, even though I buzz it.

Also started taking a specific probiotic for hair oiliness / excess sebum which I've had since about 16.. I'm sure that was the start of ruining my hair.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28789559

There was another study like this also mentioning oiliness of the scalp but I cba to find it. Although the more I read about the latest gut research the more I'm convinced it's a bit part of most hair loss.

Alexis Dumont

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does help for blood circulation but it won't help if your issue is due to excessive production of DHT. Truth is, if you only rely on scalp massage to either regrow or stop your hair loss, you're in deep, deep trouble.

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also started taking a specific probiotic for hair oiliness / excess sebum which I've had since about 16.. I'm sure that was the start of ruining my hair.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28789559

There was another study like this also mentioning oiliness of the scalp but I cba to find it. Although the more I read about the latest gut research the more I'm convinced it's a bit part of most hair loss.

I'd like to try that probiotic, but I can't seem to find it anywhere? Does it have another name or how did you get it?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The theory that due to scalp tightening from whatever cause, the follicle are slowly being ‘suffocated’ Thus hair loss is interesting.
On sides of my head there is some give to pinch skin of scalp. On top of the head skin is tight as Fu$k. I try pinching & kneading but it almost jams my fingers. When I dermaroll I can hear the “cracking” sound.
This is interesting because when a dermatologist repairs scars. He takes a capula ( a needle) sticks it into scar & listens for a “cracking” sound to know he’s breaking up the subcutaneous scar tissue.
I think then this device or Hitachi one could help.