What are your experiences with Dr. Reddy's finasteride?

Jrthomas85

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been on quartered Proscar 5mg (1.25mg a day) for the past year. I just renewed my prescription and noticed that this pharmacy used Dr. Reddy's generic finasteride 5mg. The good thing about Dr. Reddy's was the price, which was nearly 1/4 the cost of Proscar for a year's supply.

This made me curious about others' experiences with Dr. Reddy's? Has anyone been on Dr. Reddy's for more than a few months? Or, did anyone switch and notice any changes in effectiveness?

I realize this question has been asked on here before, and that some people will swear that switching from brand name to generics (or from generics to brand name) caused more hair loss. I've seen people on various forums that were adamant that switching from Proscar to Dr. Reddy's caused more loss. I've also seen people who swore that switching from Propecia to Proscar caused loss. I'm not sure what to think about all of this, as I know that it is the same active ingredient, and in my case it will also be the same dosage that I've taken for the past year. I was more hoping to get someone's input on Dr. Reddy's finasteride - preferably someone who has taken it for a while.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using it for last 6 months since my usual finpecia ran out. No issues so far, in fact I get more sides with dr reddys - don't know what this means.

What I would say is that I think even small changes in ingredients between the propecia and dr reddys may cause a shed. This happened to me and lasted 2-3 months. I'm sure if you just persevere with it, things will come back to normal.

Lance

Reaction score
I've been using Propecia for close to 14 years with positive results. My pharmacist switched me to Dr Reddys generic version around four months ago and since then my hair has suddenly and noticeably been getting thinner and thinner. Realizing this connection, I made a call to my pharmacist this morning and told him that I need to be switched back to Propecia (since my monthly supply of the Dr Reddys generic is almost finished). I’m now hoping that the Propecia will bring back the hair that I lost while using Dr Reddys. :(

From what I've read on here I see that some of you have had positive results with the Dr Reddys generic. Unfortunately I have not… so I cannot recommend it. I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make regarding this.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
^
Seriously man, I had the same issues as you.
I have switched between two brands of generic several times and each time I got a bad shed.

This last time I decided to stick with dr reddy and eventually things have got back to normal. I do understand your pain. You were on propecia for 14 years and I think maybe both for your maintained results so far, and of course stress levels it's probably better to stick with it.

nishrad

Reaction score
Bad....started balding at 17....used minoxidil and my hairloss stabilized for the next 5 years...
But i knew minoxidil loses its effectiveness and it did so i started using dr reddys finax....no sides and no hairloss stabilization....im receding just like when i was on minoxidil....
Finax is for rs 120 for a months supply i.e 2 usd....its insanely cheap and that allows me to question its quality....
anyone knows where i can get original brand name propecia in india??? money is not an issue but hairloss is...

volagsrule

Reaction score
Been taking Dr. Reddy's for 6 months now. Had been on Propecia for over a decade before the switch. Haven't noticed any difference. In fact my hair looks a bit better since I started it.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Been taking Dr. Reddy's for 6 months now. Had been on Propecia for over a decade before the switch. Haven't noticed any difference. In fact my hair looks a bit better since I started it.

has Propecia kept all your hair for over 10 years?