what are the good reasons not to get an hair transplant

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
i am thinking about a hair transplant. i remember someone wrote a post saying just remember all the good reasons out there not to get one. can someone plz let me know any cons to getting a hair transplant, other than that if it turns out bad, it'll look really bad and you wont even be able to shave your head after that. thanks!

amsch

Reaction score
There's no reason not too get a hair transplant. I think you're refering to the fact that young male pattern baldness sufferers should not get hair transplant at a young age, as they're still in the early stages and will likely lose much more hair in the future.

If you consider a hair transplant, you should do a lot of research first. How old are you? Which type of hair loss do you have? Which treatments are you on? (you should always be on treatments several months BEFORE the hair transplant, to stop further loss in the next years)

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks amsch. im 25 about to turn 26 in march. i keep meaning to post pictures on here as soon as i can get a camera. im pretty much losing hair everywhere: receding hairline, temples, diffuse in the front and crown. i do expect to lose more hair, im still not fully bald. i have been using minoxidil 5%, but i stopped it cuz it wasnt really doing much, i was still losing hair fast.

one thing is i dont want to get on propecia, i never have used it yet and dont want to. i know many of you will not agree with me but my family members all tell me not to get on such a strong drug, who knows what the long term effects are and waht ppl will start saying about the drug years later etc. couldnt i still get the transplant without ever getting on propecia? and then maybe get another transplant once the other hair falls out?

any ideas? thanks!

amsch

Reaction score
jimjohn said:
thanks amsch. im 25 about to turn 26 in march. i keep meaning to post pictures on here as soon as i can get a camera. im pretty much losing hair everywhere: receding hairline, temples, diffuse in the front and crown. i do expect to lose more hair, im still not fully bald. i have been using minoxidil 5%, but i stopped it cuz it wasnt really doing much, i was still losing hair fast.

one thing is i dont want to get on propecia, i never have used it yet and dont want to. i know many of you will not agree with me but my family members all tell me not to get on such a strong drug, who knows what the long term effects are and waht ppl will start saying about the drug years later etc. couldnt i still get the transplant without ever getting on propecia? and then maybe get another transplant once the other hair falls out?

any ideas? thanks!

First of all, yeah, try to post pics!
You say you're also a diffuse thinner and don't want to get on propecia, so a hair transplant would be a VERY BAD idea NOW.

I think you should try propecia. It has changed many lifes of male pattern baldness-sufferers in a positive way. If you feel you have side effects and you're sure about it, you can still quit the drug.

What i could also suggest you is to try lasers (i know that cassin will not be happy to see that lol).
Over at regrowth.com there have been about 42 positive testimonials and i still haven't found any negative yet. You can also find some pics over there.

To build a laser helmet, visit overmachogrande.com and check out the "lasser messiah". I really believe in this thing and I'M about to start it in the next weeks.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
yep , i'm currently building the lemming helmet from overmachogrande....
or if you are lazy , nidhogge builds also laserhelmets on regrowth.com
but be carefull there are alot of people still waithing on there helmet for months...
one of the moderators is still waithing for her helmet... and this allready months...

s.a.f

Reaction score
amsch said:
What i could also suggest you is to try lasers (i know that cassin will not be happy to see that lol).
Over at regrowth.com there have been about 42 positive testimonials and i still haven't found any negative yet. You can also find some pics over there.

To build a laser helmet, visit overmachogrande.com and check out the "lasser messiah". I really believe in this thing and I'M about to start it in the next weeks.

Or you could try rubbing dog sh*t on your head. Scientists have proven that it works like fertilizer and makes hair grow.
Over on Dogshit4baldness.com there are 42 completly made up positive testimonials and some easily faked before/after (or is it After/before) pics.
But not any ordinary dogshit will do you have to use siberian husky dogshit, but dont worry they will sell it to you direct from their site.
I really believe in this stuff!!! I am also an idiot
:)

amsch

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
amsch said:

Or you could try rubbing dog sh*t on your head. Scientists have proven that it works like fertilizer and makes hair grow.
Over on Dogshit4baldness.com there are 42 completly made up positive testimonials and some easily faked before/after (or is it After/before) pics.
But not any ordinary dogshit will do you have to use siberian husky dogshit, but dont worry they will sell it to you direct from their site.
I really believe in this stuff!!! I am also an idiot
:)

s.a.f, i see you do not respect other's opinions. Many of those testimonials on the board where posted by users that are on since 2006 or so, where this topic didn't even exist. As you see, I'm also here for some time now and why should i post bullshit?

As you may have read, i first wrote that he should try Propecia. But it seems that you're just around anymore to post sarcastic, offending stuff and denounce others, without trying to help anyone. I thought you are a nice guy, but in the past months you have been pretty weird.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I've seen many guys in the UK get ripped off £1000's for laser treatment, the companies behind it target young guys who know little but are desperate. There is no scientific proof as to how or why lasers should combat m.p.b.

Ps I totally agree with propecia advice you gave.
I'm still trying to help people but it gets pretty frustrating sometimes.

scar5

Reaction score
I think it was a post I made that suggested the good reasons not to get an hair transplant.
Well, I will try to list a few general ones and skip the some conditional ones, well you know them already- wrong candidate, not enough personal cash or time ' doesn't go as planned' 'unhappy with results part' I'll start by leaving them out - although they are very significant for obvious reasons.
I'll just start for the general one's. Don't get me wrong. I would still do an hair transplant, but you have to repress, deny or come to terms with these things first I feel. It's impossible as a human being not to mish-mash the general with the personal so treating such an emotional issue cookie-cutter style is never going to happen, let alone when you feel vulnerable as balding generally makes one - particularly when young.

Let me say these are all in my humble opinion

The General Ones. These apply for all candidates regardless of their 'suitability' from a surgical point of view and don't let Just for the record, i have had 12 surgeries - 9 strips , 3 fues. ALL OF THESE REASONS HAVE COUNTER-REASONS. THis is not a list to scare one away from hair transplants!

Reason One
Disclosure or Secret Conundrumn
Who to tell - now , 5, 10 years

Beleive me, telling people in confidence can be a 'sleeper' and can bite you later like poison covered in candy. it can go the other way too and people can come to 'feel for you' - but sympathy is probably not what you want. I told people and felt great about it initially. And not telling people when in a competitive environment like at work, when they suspect can give you angst too - now and much later too.

Reason Two
Opening the Pandora's Box and the never ending story

I didn't think I would need eleven surgeries. I still need more and I'm 45.
Even those who boast and boast about their success, or who compulsively 'defend' their doctors pointing out their 'sublime' experience at the clinic of mercy. Why are they really still here telling us?

Reason Three
Loss of time, down time

Each time you loose time - strip SO much more so. One of the crimes is not telling people how long after strip they have to 'take it easy' on the neck muscles. Especially if you are young. Six months out of gym. Months of shockloss. ALl this time you could be doing other stuff, but you'll be on boards like this. (BTW, I love this board only these days. This is THE board IMO, cause they don't let the reps on, and the others have shown their colors in recent time sto me)

Reason Four
MONEY$$$$
Say no more - now, later too. Your whole career can be warped by being on the hair transplant train, and your savings too.

Reason Five
Repressed shame and guilt
Before you tell me everyone is at one and at peace with themselves after their successful hair transplant, let me tell you you will look your bald Dad in the eye a little differently after you've had an hair transplant - and maybe your Mum too. Still they love you and all. And the very opposite applies if you 'proudly accept' your balding. You have a right to feel proud. This pride will give you balls if you combine it with a proud mask. -like shaving, which inside is defensive, but outside looks like balls.The inner pride itself is not enough in the chick game. A balding guy doesn't get on a chicks radar unless he looks like he is comfortable with it and even then hair is better. But with hair transplant the mask can be thin.

Reason Six
The filthy industry that is cosmetic surgery and hair transplantation. It is one dirty industry. Even angels like Hasson and Wong have to play the spin game . NO one is immune, the boards, the Spencer Kobrans, the good guys etc. We are all part of it. Don't tell me a single doctor on this planet got into hair transplant surgery because he wanted to stop this. They are in it, like we are, for themselves.

Reason Seven
Your loved ones take some of the pain.
THe people who love you, if they know, and some will know, will wonder why you did it and all that crap. And they will feel sorry for you even though they will be careful not to burst your bubble

CONDITIONAL reasons - you know'em already

1. Too young
2. Balding too aggressive
3. Don't respond or don't wanna do drugs
4. not enough cash or time yourself
5. Rushing into it
6. Choose strip cause it's cheaper
7. Been bullied about hairloss so hurry into surgery
8. On other drugs, not able to think it through
9. Believe the wrong web post

So there are some I can think of now.
I know some think it's all a bit much, but I beleive that under the pride, a lot of this goes on and more no doubt.

And let me re-iterate, there are good reasons to getting an hair transplant!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well thats the negative side of things, but for some it can turn your life around for the better.
It all depends on the individuals situation. I've been through alot with my 5 hair transplant's (3 bad and 2 good) and I'm still not entirely satisfied but overall I prefer having some hair compared to being bald as I was 4/5 yrs ago. I dont think any hair transplant patient will ever be totally happy but they soon forget their old situation and how much of an improvement they've actually had.

s.a.f

Reaction score
How much is a pair of shoes, a TV, a car?
It depends on the individual circumstances.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've thought about the good and bad alot as i'm due for surgery very soon. It does all come down to individual circumstances, but my thought process was thus,

7 years ago i told myself i would not accept being bald, and i would not allow it to happen, at this point i was at the start of my regimen and didn't know if it would work or not...i did so much research, i found people who were glad, those who regretted it etc... but the way i saw it was that i'd stabilized my hairloss for 7 years, decided on a top class H/T Doctor, and spoken to many of his ex patients on-line, decided to go conservative with the hairline, so if worse comes to worst i'd have enough donor to cover my scalp....i should be a NW4 destined for an eventual NW5 in my 50s, but with the meds i'm a NW3V...so i feel have the future covered and i'm not going to end up regretting it.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah ive always thought about how others would think if i was to get a hair transplant. i mean i know my few close friends would be cool with it. and my family too, my parents are actually the ones who want me to look into it. but its just co-workers and other friends who now see me will obviously know that ive done something.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The growth comes in slowly so people who see you everyday will barely notice the improvements, they'll just think that your hair is looking better, try experimenting with different lengths and it'll confuse them even more ie:"hey your hair looks thicker",- "yeah thats because I'm growing it longer at the moment"

Anyway back to the OP I can remember it got to the point with me where I decided that I'd rather try it and regret it than not try it and never know.
Do your research and have realistic expectations, go into it thinking about an improvement not thinking about getting a awesome head of hair.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'd hate myself for not doing something because of what other people might think, f*** other people, this is a personal thing, and if anyone has a problem with it, then f*** them too. That's my atttitude :devil:

scar5

Reaction score
Yep, I hate myself too if I know I am being stopped by my perception of other people's perceptions. I hate myself for not going to a party I want to go to if I find out someone else I don't like is gonna be there too.
But I think winning respect and admiration off others is another of those things that is deep-wired into us- and we take the cheap laughs with the medals of honour all in one bite, so it doesn't matter how superficail it is. I remember my resolve to get an hair transplant was based on somehow denying this. I said, F%%ckem. It was also based on a perception that others are naturally inclined to say the 'right thing' ala 'accept your balding' and move on, whilst I suspected (with good reason) that they would be at panic stations and willing to try anything to avoid a similar fate. Years later, I saw many guys boast about shaving their heads, but were also using minoxidil and very covertely curious about hair transplants.
I think we have evolved sharp instincts to detect other people's weaknesses. Just mother nature, and we think we 'know' (=it could be wrong, but we don't stop to analyse it, and hence certain events follow) if another person doesn't respect themselves, or even more telling, I suspect we know when another person has 'compromised their integrity' - I write this in quotation markls, because it isn't real, but it is real if you know what I mean. We all seem to have a gambit in the social world. And having to admit to an hair transplant, whilst honest is also somehow a catastophe in 'the game' of pretending you are the all conquering warrior- which seems to be a mythical prototype we aspire to. Once again, nature. Funny thing is, having gone through an hair transplant I respect myself more and I also respect the other guys too- even the ones I argued with on boards. But I know that in the outside world, for some reason, despite an hair transplant being such a superficial thing, in these times- and in this culture, hair transplants automatically suggest something weak, and I know that no amount of breast beating is gonna stop those little triggers that go off in a lay persons mind when they realise it.

Petchsky

Reaction score
That may be true to you, but i don't see it that way particularly. You seem to be arguing with yourself. If vanity is a weakness, then yes, but we all have weaknesses...And in my mind, getting a H/T is helping plug that weakness, if you leave yourself to be bald then it will always be there, unless you accept yourself as bald and no longer care or see it as a weakness.

Also, you never have to admit to anything. It's a personal thing, that some people won't understand, and if it makes you look and feel better, more confident, then who can say a bad word against it.

scar5

Reaction score
To Jimjohn,
I'm surprised your parents recommended you to get an hair transplant. I've never heard of it, nor imagined it. Best man. I hope my post was not too negative. As you asked for reasons not to do an hair transplant, i thought I'd rattle a few off.

To Petchsky,
I hear you - and I don't disagree. I tried to show the negative side of it. But to your point. yes, We ARE all vain and we are ALL vulnerable. THat's part of it - we instinctively know this, but we couldn't function if we all agreed in words at the start of each day. (Another reason for religion IMO) I hear you when you say, you don't have to admit to anything - damn right!! I guess I was trying to say is that we automatically programmed to put on a 'brave front' to the world or we are simply 'brave' period. ANd then we gain confidence through experience, just as we get our balls get broken on a regular basis- and anyone who has lived a day knows. And so we get what I called a 'social gambit'. I was trying to show a reflection of how an hair transplant applies for everyone in general ways. It's easy to say that we are all different, case by case etc. I know on a personal level people's feelings range from being proud of themselves to being 'philosophical and calm' to being down right appaulled of themselves about doing an hair transplant. I was trying to say how the outside world looks at it as an instantaeneous thing- like nature without reason. And I'm trying to say, we are not creatures that live in an isolated world, we need appreciation and respect and we respond and change according to our own determinations as well as, as fate would have it, events around us. We can't guarantee good vibes coming back to us, but we most definitely try.