What are the chances of there being a cure for baldness within the next ten years?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
High, very high in my opinion. Dr. Lauster already grew skin and hair from stem cells 3 years ago. No reason for him to take another 10 years. Follica, Histogen, Replicel and possibly Aderans are all in a very tight race. Then theres Tsuji Labs... the best solution of all.

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
And when we do find the cure, I'm going straight to hair club and torching it, along with all the other sacks of **** who try to make money off of us.

I wonder how much money Aderans actually needs to get going again. You would think that if they were actually able to multiply hairs that anyone with half a brain would fund the company knowing how much revenue they can generate if it hit the market.. and of course cure us once and for all.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
i think a person has to be realistic...it depends on the type of loss and the extent of it, at this point...hair transplant is still the only way to get cosmetically appreciable gains right now....most men, even complete NW7's, or whatever, will have enough donor hair to do a hair transplant for the front and frontal-top area...but the vertex and back will be bald -- so that's where things like Follica come in where you'll have to accept a lesser cosmetic gain for the lesser priority areas...

...that's where we'll be at 10 years from now...we'll be half-way there in terms of how much you can regain for coverage...

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Well limited donor may not be a problem if Dr Nigam proves to be legit! Fingers crossed!

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Well limited donor may not be a problem if Dr Nigam proves to be legit! Fingers crossed!

But "oh boy" will that be expensive!! I mean, I'd go to $25 to get my hair back right now, but if we're talking $30K-$80K, nah..I'll shave my head, sell the house and go live on some beach somewhere with some clean hookers around :punk:

- - - Updated - - -

Is this Nigam guy for real??? Holy crap!!!! I do NOT want to go to India -- but I think I would if I could get my effin' hair back!!

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
He is working with Dr Mwamba just now, a trusted ISHRS surgeon. Check out the interview by Spencer. This is could potentially be a massive breakthrough!!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
a cure within 10 years? By that you mean a way to retain (or regain) a full head of hair for life?

0%

will there be more effective treatments? Possibly - we can hope.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
a cure within 10 years? By that you mean a way to retain (or regain) a full head of hair for life?

0%

will there be more effective treatments? Possibly - we can hope.

Fair enough...this was an "express your opinion" thread and you did that...But I would think that there is a better chance that in 10 years, those with hair will have at least a 80% chance, or better, to keep it forever and not succumb to the condition

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
As long as Nigam or even Pilofocus can give us good donor regeneration, than most of us should be fine. We don't need a miracle cure from jezuz if
donor regeneration works, because that's the number one thing from stopping people from getting low hairlines with good density's.

A full blown cure may still be 10+ years away, but who cares when we can all have a good amount of hair right now.

Donor regeneration will be a game changer and we're not far from it.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm more than 80% sure that within 10 years, a treatment that will enable us to maintain our state without using drugs on a daily or bi-daily basis, but rather once every few months will be available. We have some approaches now that provide at least limited regrowth (e.g., Follica and anecdotal reports of people on these forums with wounding), and RepliCels approach can repair damaged follicles. Then there's also the hair/follicle cloning/multiplication approach, which has already been proven to work on a small scale with animals, and AFAIK even with human tissue. And recently, some scientists in Berlin grew human skin tissue in their labs, and they say they are close to growing tissue including hair in that tissue.
All in all, I'm very sure we'll get something for reliably maintaining within the next 10 years. Clinical trials altogether, i.e. administrative and evaluative stuff, usually take a bit less than 5 years, so give another 5 years for getting the treatment ready for human application - then the 10 years add up.

Regarding a cure as in regrowth - no idea, dont wanna be overly optimistic without Follica releasing their evaliation results for clinical trials. But Cotsarelis recently reporting complete neogenesis of follicles sets the probability at least above 5-10% ;)

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, this could be a breakthrough, but how much will it cost?

Who knows, but even if it proves to be successful it will be a while before it comes to market. It still needs to be tested and examined thoroughly which could take at least a year, so don't put all your hopes onto it until we know some more. It will be interesting to follow.

abcdefg

Reaction score
We get these threads all the time. I honestly think guessing at timelines is a fools game because its just too unpredictable could be 2 years or just as easily 20. One thing for sure keeping your hair is the best treatment right now and probably always will be.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Yes, this could be a breakthrough, but how much will it cost?

No..HE ISN'T working with Dr. Mwamba -- Mwamba is going to CHECK THIS S-H-I-T out...Nagami is not a skilled hair transplant surgeon...This is a verification process, not a co-ordinated effort to develop...

Having said that -- if this is all legit, there's nothing stopping people from going to India to get this done...But I think Nagami wants to become a better hair transplant surgeon at the base level, nevermind the stem cell stuff...

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
Nigam *

From BTT : " You need to look harder cause its been explained several times and has scientific backing. There is 2 parts of a follicle that contain stem cells. This is proven. He is cutting the follicle between the 2 points and using each portion. He has given pictures of this."

I think the cure will not actually be a cure.. If that makes sense.

If we can get good donor regeneration by splitting follicles, then you can double your grafts.

Instead of 8000 grafts, you might be able to go up to 16,000+.

That's not a cure, but that's damn near close to it, and that's all most of us need.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nigam *

From BTT : " You need to look harder cause its been explained several times and has scientific backing. There is 2 parts of a follicle that contain stem cells. This is proven. He is cutting the follicle between the 2 points and using each portion. He has given pictures of this."

I think the cure will not actually be a cure.. If that makes sense.

If we can get good donor regeneration by splitting follicles, then you can double your grafts.

Instead of 8000 grafts, you might be able to go up to 16,000+.

That's not a cure, but that's damn near close to it, and that's all most of us need.

Donor regeneration can supposedly be reharvested once or twice, therefor allowing potentially three times more donor hair. If thats the case, then we should be seeing 12,000 grafts on the low end for pretty much everyone after three procedures (4,000 grafts per procedure which is the low end of donor hair for most people). Some have up to around 6,000-8,000 grafts available. Two sessions at 8,000 grafts and you're cured. For me, being an NW3 with some thinning, 4,000 grafts and I'd be cured for many years to come. I don't need an NW0 hairline, I'd be fine with NW1. However, I as sure as hell would go in for a compounded treatment from Follica, Replicel or Histogen whenever it were made available.

Lets break it down though:

NW6/7 scalp typically has about 250-300cm2 space. That means, to cover that area nicely with hair thats dense enough to NOT look thing one would need around 60 grafts per 1cm2. Therefor 300 * 60 = 18,000 grafts would be the required to cover everything. All slick bald norwood 6/7 guys would still most likely need 2-3 sessions to get back to norm, but this should be easily achievable. For lower Norwoods, this is especially exciting: 1 mega-session and BAM youre done and off to banging women left, right and centre, no more being socially gimped by societies fcking assholes because of our lack of hair.

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
Fawk I gota stop giving myself hope but this might actually work. Donor regeneration is where our focus needs to be.

DoneWithIt

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, donor regeneration would be our best hope. Now let's all just pray to the Hair God and hope he hears us this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and one more thing, since I'm not allowed to post a thread in the men's section without it being moved (sigh, tried posting in the woman's section but no one really sees it there), I have one question;
The donor area consists of DHT-resistant follicles. The follicles who die to MBP are genetically predisposed to be sensitive to DHT if I got it right, ergo there must be some huge difference between a DHT-resistant follicle and a DHT-sensitive follicle, hence giving the "P" in male pattern baldness or FPB (female pattern baldness). Why are they not comparing the two to find out what's different? Are they built different, or is there some substance one follicle has but not the other? I think this would be the cure to baldness, if they can find out exactly what is is that makes only the hair on top of the head die. That said I'm a total noob and not a scientist and all and it probably isn't that easy, or else we'd have a cure by now, right? But to be it seems kinda obvious. What do you guys think?

dickhair

Reaction score
for me a cure would be treatment that stops you losing hair and regrows what has been lost. But not a treatment you have for life. I think better treatments will come out within 10 years, but not a 'cure;, unless they can change your genes so you're Androgenetic Alopecia resistant.