What Are Peoples Opinion Of Castor Oil?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Castor Oil spray (a mix of Castor Oil and Sweet Almond). I'm not expecting miraculous regrowth or anything but I've read that Castor Oil can do all sorts of wonderful things for your hair condition/thickness and scalp health. However, I've also read that scientific evidence/studies is limited.
So what are peoples experience with Castor Oil? Did it make your hair look thicker or better conditioned? Does it have anti-inflammatory benefits? What's the best way to use it; can you leve it in for a few days or should you use it as a pre shampoo treatment?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have pure castor oil and it is like a thick syrup. Makes my hair look horrible. I definitely think Castor oil is GOOD for hair growth but will not do any wonders if you are suffering from hair loss.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have pure castor oil and it is like a thick syrup. Makes my hair look horrible. I definitely think Castor oil is GOOD for hair growth but will not do any wonders if you are suffering from hair loss.

What I've read is that you're meant to mix it with another oil such as almond or coconut oil to make it less thick and you're also meant to wash it out after a few hours otherwise it can make your hair look sh*t.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It won't help at all with male pattern baldness.

Male pattern baldness is a genetic condition that needs to be treated with powerful synthetic drugs that have been specially formulated for their purpose. There is very little evidence that any known natural substance or compound will work effectively as a hair loss treatment.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know mate, I did say in my op that I "wasn't expecting miraculous regrowth" but there is a lot of testimony online about the cosmetic benefits (making hair grow and appear better conditioned & thicker) and also potential anti inflamitory/anti dandruff benefits. If this is true maybe it could work in a similar way to Nizoral? You are right to say that ther's very little evidence or studies done on castor oil though but that's why I wanted to know about peoples experience with it.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sure it does have cosmetic benefits for the hair. It is a good hair and scalp moisturiser that is helpful for dandruff. It doesn't do anything for male pattern baldness though. This is also true of argan oil, olive oil, coconut oil, emu oil, the lot of them. They are good for the hair in other ways but will do nothing for male pattern baldness.
Nizoral contains the active ingredient ketoconazole and does have some scientific backing to suggest it is mildly helpful for hair loss. I'm sceptical of whether it actually does much of anything for hair loss really, but it doesn't do any harm to use it as your ordinary shampoo so you might as well.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
From what I've read I think there is some proof that people who use Nizoral combined with finasteride have better results then those who just use finasteride on its own.
I have used it myself and the one thing I will say is that it's possibly the best thing on the market for getting rid of dandruff and itchy scalp. The only thing I didn't like was all the sulphates, and harsh chemicals in it. Who knows if this could do more harm then good in the long term. Because of this I now use Regenpure Dr which has keto but none of the bad stuff.