What are good sports for developing upper back/shoulders?

powersam

Reaction score
Want to put more meat on my upper back and shoulders. Considering buying a rowing machine, any suggestions as to what sports can help?

I remember being quite a bit wider there when i was boxing/kickboxing so may go back to that, but any knowledgeable suggestions appreciated

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
what sports will help?
I think you got it backward, usually you weight train to improve your size and strength for sports.

Playing sports will help give you a little muscle, but in no way should you expect any dramatic results without weight training.

If you do plan on lifting though you should do these:

deadlifts
pull-ups
bent over barbell rows
seated mid rows

thats all you really need for your back.

G

If you want to build your upper back and shoulders through weight training you could do wide grip pullups or pulldowns,Seated barbell press for your shoulders.You could also do some incline shrugs.They also help with posture.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rock climbing

powersam

Reaction score
casperz said:
Rock climbing

did it for ages, helps a little but not a lot. was competitive at one point, so my body was exactly where a rockclimbers shoudl be, and had little weight upstairs.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may be fighting genetics then if rock climbing did not do it for ya.

powersam

Reaction score
casperz said:
Sounds like you may be fighting genetics then if rock climbing did not do it for ya.

not at all, as i used to have far wider shoulders than i do now, saw some photos from awhile back and was like fark i was pretty big. i've just forgotten how i got them

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Do Shrugs...

shrugs.jpg

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
powersam said:
casperz said:

not at all, as i used to have far wider shoulders than i do now, saw some photos from awhile back and was like fark i was pretty big. i've just forgotten how i got them

dont follow my advice :mrgreen:

powersam

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
powersam said:
casperz said:

dont follow my advice :mrgreen:

i may well end up doing just that, but first i may just obsessively do wide grip chin ups for a few months first.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
powersam said:
powersam said:
casperz said:

i may well end up doing just that, but first i may just obsessively do wide grip chin ups for a few months first.

definately...pull-ups (palms facing away) are great for widening your lats....a lot of ppl do lat pull downs but if you have the strength to do pull-ups you should do those....anythign excercise where your body is moving in space (pull-ups, dips, squats) are the best.

Felk

Reaction score
Yeah I reckon an erg would be a good idea, since they're pretty similar to actual rowing and that definitely tanked me up while I was doing it consistently. It was really enjoyable, getting out on the water in the mornings, but holy sh*t I got tired of waking up at 4:30 am. Though it was probably my legs, not my upper body, which gained the most muscle from rowing.

Though mate if you have a lot of time for this (i expect you don't), then in my opinion the undoubted king of upper body and shoulder exercises is ring training.

powersam

Reaction score
Felk said:
Yeah I reckon an erg would be a good idea, since they're pretty similar to actual rowing and that definitely tanked me up while I was doing it consistently. It was really enjoyable, getting out on the water in the mornings, but holy s*** I got tired of waking up at 4:30 am. Though it was probably my legs, not my upper body, which gained the most muscle from rowing.

Though mate if you have a lot of time for this (i expect you don't), then in my opinion the undoubted king of upper body and shoulder exercises is ring training.

Haha i have absolutely no time whatsoever, but could probably fit in an hour twice a week. Maybe start doing kickboxing again, as i have got no idea where i'd find a good boxing coach.

the appeal of the rowing machine is i figure i just put it in my garage and whenever i can snatch half an hour go nuts on it. same as a wide grip chin up bar. truth be told though i should probably be making time for some kind of sport simply to save my sanity.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
gymnastics/rings/bars are pretty much the only sport activities that will build your back and shoulders in itself. apart from that, lifting heavy weights is pretty much the best way to grow your back.

rowing is :thumbdown2: - seated heavy row is :punk: though.
rock climbing is :thumbdown2: (you're supposed rely on your leg power more than your back) but pull ups :punk:

i have noticed many boxers with wide backs too - i can't understand why though, it doesn't make sense. i think it's more to do with their ancillary training (like pull ups). though you do need to keep your back flexed to have a strong guard i guess :dunno:

powersam

Reaction score
its the punching action

go smack a punching bag for a few minutes and you'll see just how good a shoulder/back workout it is.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
its the punching action

go smack a punching bag for a few minutes and you'll see just how good a shoulder/back workout it is.
i've done a lot of boxing...never got a back workout from it though. if you're getting a sore back it's from not stretching your lats properly - hence every time you make a big swing (not just a jab), you're inducing micro-tears in your lats.
shoulders do get a good workout though, especially if you're holding a proper guard the whole time - that's why trainers get beginners to practice footwork and bobbing while holding up a spare glove at lower-chest height between your two elbows to condition them.

Reaction score
I have noticed that my friends who were competitive swimmers have had pretty decent back development/strength for people who weren't regular lifters.
Yeah but I will second the person who said gymnastics as probably being the best sport for back development other than weight training.

barcafan

Reaction score
To get more meat on your shoulders and upperback, you have to eat more. You can workout all you want but if you dont consume enough nutrients, you wont grow. It's been working well for me.