What Are Early Signs Of Success On Minoxidil?

mmontag89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using Rogaine 5% liquid 2x daily for exactly two months now in combination with a daily 1.25mg dose of finasteride. During this time, I've experienced a pretty significant shed which seems to have only recently slowed down (but not entirely stopped). Though I still have good coverage, about a Norwood 2 or 2a, my hair is very fine and blonde, and has become significantly more diffuse in the last few years.

With the recent shed, one side of my hairline is now very noticeably thin (it experienced the most shedding), and everywhere on top is getting weak - when it's wet, my scalp is pretty visible.

My question, especially to those who've had long-term success, is how do I guage whether this hair is growing back? My hair is a few inches long on top, and just by eyesight, it's extremely hard to tell if there is any regrowth. Along the hairline, there a ton of vellus hairs, and just a few more terminal looking ones. Given the short-term "damage" minoxidil has done to my hair density:

1. How long do I hold out before trying something else?
2. How long was it before you could discern new hair growth among existing hair, especially for longer hair?
3. Is the huge increase in vellus hair something that predicts/correlates with eventual success?

Appreciate any feedback. Hearing stories of minoxidil not working for some, it makes me anxious to know when I might turn the corner, if ever. I am 28 by the way, and in good general health.

Bill69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on rogaine 1 month and I’ve shedded a lot my temples look awful now I’m also curious to when the shedding will stop and I’ll see
Regwoeth

shookwun

Reaction score
shedding

Sijac09

My Regimen
Reaction score
The best way to monitor your progress is with photos. When your looking at your hair daily, you don't notice the progress as much.

Increase in pubic hair is usually a good sign too