What am I? Norwood? Mature? Time to Panic? PIC HEAVY

bur01014

Reaction score
I have been roaming the boards for years, but decided to post some pics for a little help. I am concerned I have receeded and thinned quite a bit....however, been on propecia for 3 years and don't think much has changed during that time. Check out the pics and tell me what you guys think...any input....change in regimen, what norwood...etc....

Info- Age 26, noticed hairline drastically changed at 17-18 years of age....seems to have stayed the same since....however, been on finasteride for 3 years, so could be from that....not sure

First three pics-hair is styled - years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

The rest I took 5 minutes ago, hair really isn't styled, flash was used.....faced my fear and am exposing my receeding hairline to you all! :) I am also worried about my crown....however, my mother swears that it has always looked like that....that is what they all say though...right?

2006t.jpg

2007py.jpg

2008.jpg

2009t.jpg

img0576z.jpg

img0577q.jpg

img0578fy.jpg

img0588wy.jpg

img0589.jpg

img0591g.jpg

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Early stages of NW2.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
The first few pictures looks unaffected by male pattern baldness, but it looks like you currently sit around a 1.5 or so... Still in that area where you can hide it pretty easily.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Looks good to me and being on finasteride I doubt you'll ever have anything to worry about. I wish I had that kind of hair at 16.

cuebald

Reaction score
Norwood 1.5
Early-Mature hairline

Doesn't look to me like you'll be bald any time soon
Crown looks fine too, a lot of people's crown looks like that in bright light

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norwood 1.5, completely unnoticeable that you are balding.

pic 4 is exactly the style i would recommend to temple receder's in NW2+ stages. the fauxhawk is the way to go!

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say that you are a Norwood 1.5.

I don't think you are losing your hair. You have your adult hairline.

I would not panic at all.

Reaction score
I would say take pictures of your hair again in 6 months. If you see any decrease, that may signal hair loss. If you see no changes, that means mature hairline.

bur01014

Reaction score
These remarks all lead me to my million dollar questions.....mature hairline.....or without propecia I would be much worse now? In other words, can I go off propecia and save some serious money, or stay on it? Many of you have said mature hairline.....so that means propecia is be used without really needing it? However, I am just worried if I stopped it, I would lose hair that would never be regained if started it back again......It has been so hard because my hair really hasn't changed, but then again is this due to propecia or just do to the simple fact of that is the way my hair is going to be as I age? I hate to be wasting money if I don't need it.....then again, saving my hair is worth it. Obviously, I do have recession and slight thinning.....right? If I didn't, my derm probably wouldn't have prescribed me propecia....any further advice?

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if you ask for Propecia your derm will prescribe it for you, regardless of how they feel about the perceived status of your hair.

You say you noticed a change in your hair at 17, but then it stabilized for about 6 years, and then you started taking Propecia.... I would say get off the Propecia, keep a photographic record of your hair for a year, and compare the before and after. I wouldn't be too worried about going bald overnight :)

vinodhkumar

Reaction score
u started taking finasteride before u were balding so I really dont know if it is the finasteride that is keeping ur hair intact or u really have no hair loss. Do u have any close relatives with male pattern baldness ? If no then perhaps u do not have male pattern baldness- If yes then, u are no closer to knowing the truth that you were before.

Nickie

Established Member
Reaction score
why is everyone still using finasteride/propecia when avodart is proven to be stronger?