What am I getting into?

nncar

Reaction score
Hi,

I started noticing thinning on my crown approximately 1 year ago. A co-worker asked me 'did you hit your head?' because of the thinning she noticed. Ever since then it seems I've been fighting a losing battle. I've tried rogaine but it was extremely itchy and flaky, so I stopped. My current situation is I have thinning at the crown and its started to spread down the right side where I part my hair. Over the past 2 months, I've been noticing more and more scalp. I am becoming more and more conscious about where everyone is standing and whether or not they notice my thinning. Haven't had a decent night's sleep in a couple of months.

As a 30-something single guy, I'm not ready to let my hair go. I went to HCM approx. 2 weeks ago. They recommended a 1000 unit hair transplant for the crown and a 200 unit hair transplant in the part area. I'm scheduled for the procedure in 2 weeks.

Questions:
I'm scared. What am I getting into? Reading all the disucssions, the post-hair transplant shedding thing bothers me a lot. Does this mean that I could go completely bald on my crown before getting my hair back? If the hair transplant works out, why does it take so long, 9-12 weeks, before you see results? It seems to me implants should sprout immediately and you should see tiny new hairs immediately.

Also, I still notice hair falling out during my morning shower. I am hoping Propecia will stop this... does it? I've been taking it for about a week now. My plan is to take Propecia to stop the fallout, and the hair transplant to patch the thinning areas ONCE. Am I being idealistic? Has anyone had a need to go back to receive additional treatments on new thinning areas?

Thx,

bombscience

Reaction score
Woah bud! How bad is your situation? Thinning sucks, but you haven't stuck with any treatment products, and a 1200 unit hair transplant has got to be expensive.

There are other Rogaine/minoxidil forumulas for you to try that are less irritating. What about adding Propecia and some other topicals? Are you willing to give it a year before surgery? I would try using treatments eons before getting a hair transplant. I see that as a last resort.

nncar

Reaction score
Bombscience, thanks for responding.

My situation is bad, in my mind anyways. I've become obsessed with looking for hair on the floor and looking at the size of the thinning area. I work with others who have lost their hair and I think they must've gone through the same thing I did. Depression, acceptance, rogaine and other chemicals, and then lost hope.

I tried Rogaine 5%, but my scalp was extremely itchy. I've been using another minoxidil product without PPG for about a month, my hair seems to be responding to it. The crown has been the same for a while, but the visible scalp (where I part my hair) appears to be growing. The hairs that I am still shedding are coming from the top of my head, in front of the crown, I think. I am hoping Propecia will start to kick in and the shedding will slow. I want to do something about my hairloss before it becomes obvious and before I lose my mind from constantly thinking about it. Maybe it's a mental thing with me.

My logic is this, if I don't get a hair transplant and the Propecia doesn't work on me, then I'm screwed. If I don't get a hair transplant and the Propecia works well, then I'll still have the thin areas and I'll still be obsessed. If I get a hair transplant and the Propecia doesn't work on me, then I'll need more procedures (but at least I'm doing something). If I get a hair transplant and Propecia works well, then I am set.

Cost isn't cheap, but the alternative (putting chemical on my head for life) doesn't seem cheap either.

Thx,
nncar

bombscience

Reaction score
Good luck with it then man. What are you on the Norwood scale? I can still cover my scalp with enough hair as long as I dont put gel and stuff like that in it. But I'm not sure how bad I could get before a hair transplant wouldn't be effective...

eddie

Reaction score
nncar,

Hey man I know exactly what you're going through. I'm in the same boat as you, although my hair loss has stabilized for years now. I lost hair on the top of my head mostly but not that it's so obvious. I am scheduled for a 800 to 1000 hair graft surgery in about 17 days at HCMA here in Phoenix. I am basically having the surgery to add the fullness I once had on the top because I love parting my hair in the middle. A lot of people, if they knew, would say I'm crazy going through with this because everyone says how much hair I have. But in my mind, I want more hair!

I am scared too, but I am so ready to have this done. I had my consultations, lab draws and had my prescriptions filled and just need to get a few more things done and then I am set. My doctor suggested that I start using Minoxidil before and after surgery to avoid the " hair shock fallout " syndrome that some people, not all, experience. So that is what I started doing today. I bought two generic brands (Walgreens) for $10 each on sale. I am applying it twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evenings before I go to bed.

All I can tell you is go for it. A plan of action is better than no plan of action. You can always keep the Propecia thing going, for me that option is out of the question because Propecia scares the living daylights out of me and I don't like the reported side effects that people on this forum have mentioned. Have you tried a more natural approach, and one that a lot of people over look and that would be increasing your vitamin intake and eating more sensibly? I think good nutrition plays a big part in hair growth and it's worth a try.

Well good luck to you and I would be very interested in following up with your progress once you have your surgery. I'll keep you posted on my progress if you'd like. I think this is a wonderful forum where people can talk their concerns to other people who have gone and conquered before.

Eddie :lol:

nncar

Reaction score
Bombscience,
Where do I find the Norwood? I've heard people refer to it but I don't know what it is. Thanks for your input. As I get closer to D-day, I'm getting more and more nervous. I felt better when I committed to the hair transplant, but now I'm starting to feel a little shallow and like I am too worried about my looks. Would my 'perfect soul mate' care how my hair is or am I setting myself up to end up with a woman as shallow as I am? I've been convincing myself that it's for my own benefit to stop thinking about my hair.

Eddie,
Please keep me informed on your progress. Good luck, and I really hope it turns out better than you imagine. If you look at the statistics of the Propecia study, the number of people who showed signs of the side effects are pretty small. I just wish it wouldn't cost so damn much. Does anyone know of a doctor who prescribes Proscar for hairloss?

I have recently changed the way I eat. I've been forcing myself to eat more. I think the increased shedding in recent months are linked to the loss of appetite I've experienced since my thinning.

So does the minoxidil treatment stop the shock fallout? I really want to avoid that if possible. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Even if it's temporary, I don't think I could handle that at this point.

Thx for your responses, I feel better when I log on and talk to people in the same boat as I.
nncar