What about these vitamins?

G

Hello. I am 32 and have noticed severe shedding for the past couple of months. I am hoping that is due to stopping BCPs but am waiting to here from my doctor. I went to her 2 weeks ago and found out I have acid reflux. She did one type of blood test on my kidneys and my thyroid and said those were normal. I didn't mention the hair loss to her so have now put in a call to her. I guess I didn't want to admit to anyone else that this was happening but it is getting worse each day it seems.

Anyways...I have been reading and have just started taking biotin and now also folic acid to see if that helps with the hair loss. I read in a post on this board that ground flaxseed might also help. Where do you find ground flaxseed? I've seen flaxseed pills, I think, but I'm not sure if this is the same. Is flaxseed in certain types of food??? My problem is I have a really hard time swallowing pills so I can't take a lot of vitamins or prescriptions that are capsule size or bigger. :roll:

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, the BCP will be the culprit. I have heard of women who stop BCP having hair loss. Here's a list of tests you may want your doctor to run : http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/step2wom.htm Good luck at the doctor!!

Biotin is good for the hair...how much are you taking? Flaxseed can be found at health food stores. YOu will have to grind it. Also, flaxseed doesn't stay fresh very long, I wonder if ground is even available. I'm lazy, so even though the flaxseed oil isn't as good, I take the pill.
Other women here also recommend Evening Primrose Oil, but here you have to take the pill form.
Don't know about folic acid, I thought it was knda "brain" food and good for nerve health. :)

G

vitamins

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a doctors appt Monday morning. I hope it is just the BCPs but we'll see. Thanks again. :lol:

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope you get positive news. Please let us know how it goes, either way. :)

G

I forgot to answer you

I am taking at least 1600mcg per day. The bottle tells me I can take 1 800mcg tablet up to 3 times per day, but I usually forget to take it at night.

Thanks. I am going to go to a health food shop this weekend for the flaxseed. I have also heard that you can buy flaxseed oil to cook with. I guess that would be at the health food store also???

dragonflygirl

Reaction score
vitamins-this may be obvious, but just in case!

a stylist i really like recomended seeing a qualified nutrionist/herbalist. she says she's seen very good improvement in women with hair loss who are on a specific regime to conteract any deficiences that may be causing or making the hair loss worse. i would not just take random supplements, that's not a smart move. you need to find out which vitamins/minerals you are actually deficient in. you also need to make sure that any herbal supplements you are taking won't have any side effects. its very unsafe to try these things on one's one. a multi-vitamin formulated for the general population is one thing, taking stuff you read about on the internet in whatever doses is dangerous. please see a professional, the appointments are usually around $100, but well worth it as they will do a complete review of your medical history. naturopathic doctors study at qualified universities for seven years and they can recommend vitamins and herbs. it will be well worth it for any other conditions you may have, asthma, arthritis, fatigue etc. just make sure you get a referral from a friend, or check the licensing requirements for your state. most are very good, but like some hairsylists, chiropractors etc, you have to be careful. also please tell your medical doctor what you are taking and have your records sent to both doctors. natural compounds are very potent, probably 90% of all "regular" medicine comes from plant sources!! also make sure you get your vitamins, herbs etc from a quality source. A local drugstore probably won't carry good product, get a recommedation from a health food store. the fda doesn't regulate this stuff, the formulations vary widely. be smart and you'll get results! another trick is to rinse your hair in cold water after washing. it shocks the hair into staying put, at least for the time being. i've found it does make a difference. also, giving yourself a scalp massage on a daily basis, very gently, can work to stimulate growth. not a miracule cure, but known to work somewhat. best of luck!!

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Some M.D.s, like my derm, are well read in supplements and their use. Granted, she didn't study this stuff for seven years.
I guess my point is, if you trust your doctor, and she deals with some alternative ideas, she could also be a source of what is SAFE to put into your body.
I agree you shouldn't take supplements blindly. Or because your cousin Mildred is taking X, or what you saw on the Internet or latest infomercial. But a regular doctor can be as good as an N.D., and a lot cheaper. (esp. if you have insurance!!)

Also, a good source for fiinding quality supplements is: http://www.consumerlab.com/index.asp