wet hair = almost bald, dry hair = unnoticeable

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
The moisture makes your hair clump together making it look thinner but chances are your hair probably looks thin even when dry. It really depends on the lighting. Take some pictures of your hair in direct sunlight and you might be surprised.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Or, as an alternative, take a digital picture of the top of your head and make sure you have the flash set to "on." This generally brings out the thin spots.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Or, as an alternative, take a digital picture of the top of your head and make sure you have the flash set to "on." This generally brings out the thin spots.

I find camera flash doesn't work as well as natural lighting because the flash tends to wash things out and cast shadows.

But man even with super bright bathroom lighting your hair wont come close to looking as bad as it does on a bright day outside.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
nervx said:
I find camera flash doesn't work as well as natural lighting because the flash tends to wash things out and cast shadows.

But man even with super bright bathroom lighting your hair wont come close to looking as bad as it does on a bright day outside.

I suppose it hinges on ambient lighting conditions and the camera itself. In my case, using the flash definitely brings out comprehensive loss detail, even with the fairly bright bathroom lighting. I've not taken any under the sun but for me there's no need.

Of course, the BEST route is not to assess daily, whether inside or out, as many guys will go crazy obsessing. Get a baseline snapshot and then evaluate progress every couple months.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, I know all about bathroom mirrors and outdoors, and how that can affect things. My hair can look hilariously scalpy when under direct sunlight.

It looks thin under direct lighting and if combed up, but looks 100% fine in normal lighting, or even in harsh light when combed slightly forward.

You're right though, time to start treatments - Looking forward to seeing what they can do!

I've been applying Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil once per day (at night), but I am thinking that propecia may be a better bet, or possibly both, although I am not sure minoxidil is really necessary at this stage.

Just ordered some revivogen too, which definitely works I would say, judging from their trials, and some of the user experiences here. Two DHT combatants should help I reckon.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
nervx said:
hairwegoagain said:

I agree about the camera thing. My only before pics are with a flash and poor lighting and I wish I hadn't done that b/c it doesn't show the true severity of my thinning spots. The way it casts shadows makes my hair look better than it really is.

I'm in agreement with most, if you want to see how bad your hairloss really is there's no better way then taking a pic in direct sunlight.