Went to my doctor.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to my doctor for a check up last week. Mind you I use "doctor" because of the Ph D that follows his name. Hes more like a older freind with the power to write prescriptions. All that aside he is actually a swell individual, uses profanity at a whim and could relate to almost anyone under his care. I asked him about using propecia for my hair and his examination consisted of "Are you losing your hair?". He then wrote me the script and I asked him about propecia ( in my best attempt to sound sincere and new to the drug). He said " its a very powerful drug" and continued talking about the drug almost verbatim to what the pamphlet says that comes with propecia. He also said that the sexual side effects are very strong, but I'm young and it wouldn't be a problem for me. I asked him if it was possible for me to split "this pill called proscar in fourths" that i could order online to save money and he looked and me and said GOOD IDEA. Moreover he said half a pill every two days would also be OK if i wanted to. So i'm going to stick to proscar and use this script for propecia as a emblem that says "Not this guy Merck, I'm not paying 70 a month for finasteride when I could get finasteride for 70 for four months using my HairLossTalk.com KNOWLEDGE." To sum it up, YUP.

Axon

Reaction score
Interesting to see a physician keep up with the times.

I gotta be honest, though. A lot of us trash doctors on these forums for being unwilling to prescribe proscar...but as I learn more about product liability, it seems that they refuse to do so out of a fear of liability, not ignorance.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea I wasn't going to push the prescribe me proscar button because ordering online doesn't require a script from where I order it, and more that I didn't want to put him in a predicament if my pharmacist or someone got suspicious. I just wanted to get his medical opinion and see where he stands on propecia and proscar, because I'm fortunate to have a doctor who talks to me like an individual and not like my friend's doctor who made my freind make an appointment for a follow up visit to make sure he was losing his hair.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
Weird, my Doctor had no problem writing me a script for proscar once I explained the huge cost difference. SHe just wrote it for 1.25mg/day so the liability should be lessened at that point...

stevieb

Reaction score
hey fellas..quick question!!!

i know that propecia and proscar have the same main ingredient (finasteride) and i understand that propecia contains 1mg of finasteride and proscar contains 5mg of finasteride!!

so my question is, is there any difference in the products performance betweent the 2? other then proscar being the cheaper one because the pill can be divided!

which would recommend that i start taking and what are some legitimate websites that carry these products, actual sites that you guys have purchased from!!!

thanks!!!

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I spoke to a dermatologist he told me that taking half a pill every 2 days would be fine also.

SSM23

Established Member
Reaction score
where did you get your proscar from guys?
Im from the UK.