We'll all be bald eventually, right?

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
That's something I tried to use to comfort myself before I started finasteride. I mean, the vast majority of all people lose /some/ hair by the time they're 80, if not by 60. I would ask myself "then why does it matter if I have hair now since I eventually won't?" Obviously that reasoning gave me no solace. But what will I do when I'm 80? I guess I won't care anymore? Probably. I mean, will I really be on finasteride for 60 years? Will future generations of elderly people have full heads of hair? Has anyone else thought this far into the future? I know we all want hair /right now/, but it's weird to think of an 80-something caring about hair loss. Maybe I just don't know enough 80-somethings.

This isn't meant to undermine anyone's desire for hair, because I too want hair and am actively trying to get it. But I guess it's just confusing to me to think about fulfilling a want I have in the present that I probably won't want in the future. But of course getting my desires met now will make me happier until I no longer desire what I want, and then I can be more able to acquire my new desires. *Epiphany* that's why people have mid-life crises! Because they still need to fulfill their desires from a younger age. That makes sense. A strong desire doesn't always go away. It might get smushed down by other things. But it can resurface with a vengeance.

So yeah. This post was kind of a ramble. But it helped me, and I hope some of you can relate to this possibly. And/or I hope it helped some of you, possibly. Idk. I'm not very sure what the exact point of this was. Oh well.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
It's okay to be bald when you're an old man. Once you reach that age, some women have even lost hair. The best years of your life are behind you. You're not trying to pick up girls or get a promotion at work where a full head of hair will ALWAYS give you a leg up. Once you're old, nobody really gives a damn about you anymore. When you're young, having a full head of hair makes you more attractive. Attractive people get better jobs, have more relationships, people are nicer to them, viewed as more trustworthy, seen as more likely to be successful, and... you get the idea. There have been tons of studies done on it. Attractive people have better lives. Since I'm not exactly going to be posing for Dolce ads anytime soon, I need whatever advantage I can in life so I won't lose out on jobs, girls, and everything else to my hairier peers. Hence the reason, I'm gutting it out day after day on the big 3.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nope, at least 20% of men will never be bald in their lifetime. Imagine a life completely devoid of true suffering, what a heaven it must be for those men.

Sadly there are more turn offs than just baldness. For example you can have a full head of hair but still have the length of a midget. :(

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
I try to think positively about my hair loss sometimes... like, "at least I'm tall, have shoulders, am well educated, and don't have a tiny penis." Still though, like Fred says, those men that never go bald in their lifetimes, talk about living on easy street. Add insult to injury, some of the most famous movie stars usually don't ever seem to lose much hair at all either. Think about it: Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, and the list goes on. And you can't really say they had hair transplants or finasteride either because these guys were already getting up there in the hair loss danger zone ages circa 97 when Propecia hit the market.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
I try to think positively about my hair loss sometimes... like, "at least I'm tall, have shoulders, am well educated, and don't have a tiny penis." Still though, like Fred says, those men that never go bald in their lifetimes, talk about living on easy street. Add insult to injury, some of the most famous movie stars usually don't ever seem to lose much hair at all either. Think about it: Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, and the list goes on. And you can't really say they had hair transplants or finasteride either because these guys were already getting up there in the hair loss danger zone ages circa 97 when Propecia hit the market.

You can't call out stars as examples of good genetics. Lots of Hollywood magic happens on the heads of those people. Al Pacino is one in particular that you called out that has on occasion sported more hair than he has.

resu

Reaction score
Yes we on this forum will be bald at some point, the general population won't.

aero1976

Reaction score
Yes we on this forum will be bald at some point, the general population won't.
66% is the general population and the % of men who will lose hair. Have you seen men over 65? I am sure we all thin out after 60.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't call out stars as examples of good genetics. Lots of Hollywood magic happens on the heads of those people. Al Pacino is one in particular that you called out that has on occasion sported more hair than he has.
True, but Al Pacino is 74 years old and didn't start sporting thinning hair until very recently. At 74, who gives a rip about a little thinning hair when you've lived your whole youth with beautiful, thick hair? I would just like to make it to 34 lol.

aero1976

Reaction score
A 74 year old gives a rip and Pacino has had serious hair loss for over 10 years. I posted something about Steve Jobs' hair loss in his 40s and no one even talking about it and someone came back "sure, money and power" I guess meaning he had things to make up for it. It seems a lot of people on here have forgot they have a lot to offer even losing their hair at 20. I am not happy about it. But it will not end my life or my future success.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aero I hope you keep that attitude if I was on my pc now I would give you a thumb up for it.

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair isn't about how other people see me. It's about how I see myself. Sure, I want hair because society has shaped my views on what is attractive and such, but even if I knew I was never going to have a romantic partner ever again, I would still want hair. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I don't want to look a certain way for other people. I want to look a certain way for myself, and know, when I go out in public, that I am being honest in how I present myself and am confident enough to do that. Having the hair that I want would mean that my inner self and outer self align, and that creates a kind of harmony that no other person can give to me.

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a 50 or so year old guy with the hairline I had in 8th grade with no thinning. Some people just have it made.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a 50 or so year old guy with the hairline I had in 8th grade with no thinning. Some people just have it made.

Maybe he did have it "made". Deception is the point of a good hair piece.

jacobi33

Reaction score
My hair isn't about how other people see me. It's about how I see myself. Sure, I want hair because society has shaped my views on what is attractive and such, but even if I knew I was never going to have a romantic partner ever again, I would still want hair. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I don't want to look a certain way for other people. I want to look a certain way for myself, and know, when I go out in public, that I am being honest in how I present myself and am confident enough to do that. Having the hair that I want would mean that my inner self and outer self align, and that creates a kind of harmony that no other person can give to me.

That is very well said, kpat. I really don't have anything to add except you said what I would want to say on the subject. It's completely true that I would still want my hair just as badly even if I never had another romantic partner. Which definitely signals that this - for some or most of us, anyway - is about a whole lot more than the ars eroica.

FWIW, I have a gf now who is perfectly ok with me going bald - and I believe her. She hates the fact that I'm taking propecia far more than the fact that I'd lose my hair if I didn't. Perhaps she's the rational one. But regardless, I think it's pretty obvious that my reasons for caring so much about my hair really don't involve sexual concerns first and foremost. It goes way beyond that to issues of self-image and a sense of identity, as you eloquently pointed out. The sexual stuff kind of derives from that as an unwanted corollary.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
No, we will not ALL be bald eventually... unless you mean as a skeleton underground. OPs rationalization is insufficient.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Dont ever say the word all or everyone when dealing with things that vary by person. There are men over 60 with teenage hairlines its just more rare with age, but its possible because I have seen it. Again its almost purely genetic, and yet undiscovered processes but certainly things cause it because the rare guys with no male pattern baldness are not much different than the rest of us.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
actor William Roache is 82

billRoache.jpg