Weird Balding Pattern At 19 Yo Please Help

imlosingmyhair21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i've just turned 19 a few weeks ago and i started noticing that my hair is getting very thin especially in the back of my head, so i went for a short haircut to see what was really happening and there was the surprise *i'm attaching some photos for you to see what i'm talking about*
i went to a dermatologist and she prescribed some vitamins and zinc supplements and minoxidil 2%, i didnt star 20191208_160112.jpg t using minoxidil yet instead i'm using peppermint and coconut oil cuz m not sure what's going on with my hair yet,
i forgot to mention that both my grandfathers are bald, and my dad too so it surely is hereditary but the pattern in my head is nothing that i ve seen before. PLEASE HELP, it's making me very anxious...

Attachments

• 20191208_155943.jpg
    20191208_155943.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 585

imlosingmyhair21

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are screwed if you don't get on finasteride and minoxidil. Looks like you are destined to be bald by 25.
Thank you for your reply, can you please give me additional informations, what type of hair loss is this, what do we call such balding pattern?

imlosingmyhair21

My Regimen
Reaction score
i heard that finasteride is a dht blocker but can affect libido, and that there are other alternative dht blockers such as peppermint oil and pumpkin seed oil, to what extent are these alternative topicals effective? can they replace a finasteride+minoxidil treatment. Thanks

imlosingmyhair21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for answering again, my main concern now is :
i know that i should keep using finasteride forever, but what about minoxidil? should i stop using minoxidil once am satisfied with the amount of hair grown and keep using finasteride only? or not

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for answering again, my main concern now is :
i know that i should keep using finasteride forever, but what about minoxidil? should i stop using minoxidil once am satisfied with the amount of hair grown and keep using finasteride only? or not

No you can't maintain any gains you made from minoxidil with finasteride, once you start minoxidil you are on it for life pretty much.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is treat that seborrheic dermatitis. A healthy scalp is a prerequisite for healthy growth.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
It looks like from your pictures that you are diffuse thinning, which is what I have as well. Actually for me it started on my crown but made it all throughout the top of my head and my hairline started receding too.

Basically as the other posters said, this is the most aggressive form of hair loss because the entire top of your head begins to miniaturize, as opposed to the classical recession pattern. If you get on finasteride and minoxidil, you have a good chance to recover lost hair and hold on to it for a long time though.

I know this is very tough to deal with at 19 and you have my sympathies, I went through hell when I realized how fast I was losing my hair. However, I got on finasteride and minoxidil and have had no side effects, and have had good results, albeit diminishing now after several years. I will have to get a transplant at some point to make up for lost ground, but unfortunately for aggressive hair loss sufferers, this is the hand we are dealt.