Weigt Gain Anyone?

bew3994

Reaction score
Anyone had a problem with weight gain while on Propecia? Also, what is up with all of the gyno posts??? That seems to be the main topic on most hair loss forums. Is this really an overwhelming problem that is being kept quiet as a side effect?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bew3994 said:
Anyone had a problem with weight gain while on Propecia? Also, what is up with all of the gyno posts??? That seems to be the main topic on most hair loss forums. Is this really an overwhelming problem that is being kept quiet as a side effect?

Yep, I definitely gained weight on Finasteride. Within the first year I gained 10 pounds, after weighing a certain amount since my teens. I've always been in shape; and with my high metabolism, I've always had trouble gaining weight. So it's too much of a coincidence not to be from Finasteride, since I've never taken any other drug... except aspirins and ibuprofen.

tenshi

Established Member
Reaction score
bew3994 said:

If you are concerned with gyno, then go on a diet while you are on finasteride. Then you will know if that it is gyno, instead of just gaining weigth. I have taken finasteride for 9 months and have not gotten gyno. I have heard that developing gyno is preceeded by pain in the nipples from one individual.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tenshi said:
bew3994 said:

If you are concerned with gyno, then go on a diet while you are on finasteride. Then you will know if that it is gyno, instead of just gaining weight. I have taken finasteride for 9 months and have not gotten gyno. I have heard that developing gyno is preceeded by pain in the nipples from one individual.

I doubt you can develop a full-blown case of gyno on less than 1.25mg, and for instance start lactating. But I certainly developed a mild case of gyno, in the period of a year. BTW, during this time, I never once experienced pain in my nipples or chest.

In fact, I was just looking at pictures taken over that period, and there's definitely an appearance of puffy nipples. I had forgotten just how much. Especially with a muscularly fit and flat chest, the combination of puffy nipples looks rather odd. :)

Of course, two years later, a much lower dosage, and plenty of exercise, my chest now look pretty much normal again. And, I've also lost around five of those ten pounds.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BTW, just to clarify, I think developing even mild cases of gyno on 1.25mg, or less, of Finasteride is probably fairly rare. Still, it majorly sucks if you are one of those people, and you don't know just how much till it happens.

Although, taking a 5mg dosage from between twenty to fifty-years-old, there's no doubt in my mind the incidences of gyno increases, dramatically.