Weight loss and hair loss

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
Here is something odd which I've realised that happened in the past year of my life.
Last year, Janury 2015, I begun dieting and also doing a lot of cardio because I wanted to lose weight. This went on for around 4 months straight and after that it just became an on and off thing. However within those four months, I can now remember that I had major protein deficiency, I did not eat enough protein and I remember during that time I began dieting and losing weight and that is when my hair began thinning and that was the time where everyone would tell me that you can see through my scalp etc. Almost 7 months later and the matters only getting worse and my hair is much worse, it is hard to believe that I'm honestly suffering from male pattern baldness as it is extremely aggressive and I'm 16, literally 7 months and my hair is wayyyyyyyy thinner than before. I was just wondering do you guys think that my hair loss is because of my diet or genuine male pattern baldness? I have a receding hairline and diffusing all over the scalp, but I also know that one of my friends who lost weight very fast has thin hair but nowhere near as thin as mine. It wouldn't effect me either way as I'm currently taking Finasteride but I just want to know what you guys think, thanks

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You shouldn't take finasteride as a teenager, the higher estrogen levels will stunt your growth.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your hair just starts rapidly thinning because of a factor such as diet, then it is not entirely male pattern baldness, it is telogen effluvium. If the hair started thinning out a few months after you started this, and continued for 3-6 months, then it is your bodies natural response to a severe internal stress, losing weight quickly and malnourishment. This is actually quite common. Do you have any photos? You need to get into a very healthy diet and things will turn around. Telogen Effluvium lasts a few months then resolves on it's own, GIVEN you remove the trigger. If you keep punishing your body, you may experience it again.

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
If your hair just starts rapidly thinning because of a factor such as diet, then it is not entirely male pattern baldness, it is telogen effluvium. If the hair started thinning out a few months after you started this, and continued for 3-6 months, then it is your bodies natural response to a severe internal stress, losing weight quickly and malnourishment. This is actually quite common. Do you have any photos? You need to get into a very healthy diet and things will turn around. Telogen Effluvium lasts a few months then resolves on it's own, GIVEN you remove the trigger. If you keep punishing your body, you may experience it again.

Yes it started a few months after the diet and continued so to this day, but it has become MUCH worse since then, my diet is alright now though I lack fruits and vegetables a lot but I don't see any other problem with and has been fine for the past few months, I just don't understand as to how it's possible for my hair to become this thin in like 6 months honestly, my hair has been in this state since last November, but the issue is not resolving on its own even after I fixed my diet

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it started a few months after the diet and continued so to this day, but it has become MUCH worse since then, my diet is alright now though I lack fruits and vegetables a lot but I don't see any other problem with and has been fine for the past few months, I just don't understand as to how it's possible for my hair to become this thin in like 6 months honestly, my hair has been in this state since last November, but the issue is not resolving on its own even after I fixed my diet

1) when did you start your crash diet?
2) How long after did you notice increase in hair loss / thinning
3) How did you resolve the primary issue? How are you eating now? Give me a basic breakdown of your diet.

I have been through this my friend. If you could post a pic from the top, with good lighting, it would be more helpful. Hair cycles and grows painfully SLOW. You need to be patient.

- - - Updated - - -

3) How did you resolve the primary issue? How are you eating now? Give me a basic breakdown of your diet.

I have been through this my friend. If you could post a pic from the top, with good lighting, it would be more helpful. Hair cycles and grows painfully SLOW. You need to be patient.

sorry, most of this is in your OP.

You started in January, however, it wasn't until like march-april until you started to lose the drastic amount of weight. At this point, your body has been dealing with this trauma and sends you into Telogen Effluvium, shutting down a larger than normal % of your follicles, to deal with the trauma. According to this theory, you may have begun the Telogen Effluvium around march and it can usually last up to six months. This means you would have your peak hair loss smack in the middle of summer and it would have resolved by fall. By now, unless there is something else, even in the worst case scenario, you should have stopped losing crazy amounts of hair and rebounded some.

It is smart to be on finasteride throughout this, but when did you start finasteride?

camilstar

Reaction score
Well i think it can be a reason ,because by diet you reduce a number of diferent proteins ,vitamins etc and body needs them

Kaotic_100

Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, most of this is in your OP.

You started in January, however, it wasn't until like march-april until you started to lose the drastic amount of weight. At this point, your body has been dealing with this trauma and sends you into Telogen Effluvium, shutting down a larger than normal % of your follicles, to deal with the trauma. According to this theory, you may have begun the Telogen Effluvium around march and it can usually last up to six months. This means you would have your peak hair loss smack in the middle of summer and it would have resolved by fall. By now, unless there is something else, even in the worst case scenario, you should have stopped losing crazy amounts of hair and rebounded some.

It is smart to be on finasteride throughout this, but when did you start finasteride?

I have been on finasteride for a month Here I attached two images of my hair before and after, also i decided to go skin bald in summer (doubt that contributed to anything) but like i said, my hair hasnt changed since last november/december, and the first pic with thicker hair was taken in May 2015. The most recent one was taken now and you can see how much my hair has become worse, its f*cking messed how much has happened in like 7 months. I'm not trying to dodge the fact that my hair very well maybe the results of male pattern baldness but its just weird since i started dieting (bearing in mind my diet was f*cked as i would starve myself) that my hair has become like this. Not only that, it hasnt improved in the slightest since i started dieting. Would really appreciate any help, thanks man, and btw what do you think of chronic telogen effluvium in my case?

Attachments

• hair may 2015.jpg
    hair may 2015.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 228
  • hair march 2016.jpg
    hair march 2016.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 202

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like you have lost hair in the temples mostly. You may have had Telogen Effluvium, and lost hair everywhere, but your temples are struggling to grow back, because those follicles are impacted by Androgenetic Alopecia. So, it seems to be a combination of both. If you say you haven't lost hair since December, that makes sense - you Telogen Effluvium has resolved, which is a good thing. In regards to your temples coming back... that's hard man. I don't know what to say. Stay on finasteride and minoxidil and perhaps consider RU to attack this from a different angle.

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
It looks like you have lost hair in the temples mostly. You may have had Telogen Effluvium, and lost hair everywhere, but your temples are struggling to grow back, because those follicles are impacted by Androgenetic Alopecia. So, it seems to be a combination of both. If you say you haven't lost hair since December, that makes sense - you Telogen Effluvium has resolved, which is a good thing. In regards to your temples coming back... that's hard man. I don't know what to say. Stay on finasteride and minoxidil and perhaps consider RU to attack this from a different angle.

This is really disheartening man, I really screwed myself over this time, il stay on finasteride and pray for regrow though it is really unlikely but I'd rather maintain what I have now, I would get on minoxidil or RU but it's just a hassle putting it on every morning, thanks for your help bro