WEIGHT LIFTING for WEIGHT LOSS?

G

I have been reading that to achieve better fat loss.. one must do weight lifting to increase muscle mass that metabolizes your fat more.

If this is the case, how many times a week should I be hitting the gym when dietting and fat burning and what kinda work outs should I be doing?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Hola, I've recently began been going to the gym again fairly regularly three or four times a week. I have a very basic routine starting with 20 minutes cardio followed by 4 or 5 resistance exercises (bench press, lat pull downs, thigh machine etc.) then finally 10 to 15 minutes more cardio as a cool down.

The whole routine takes a little over an hour, and I try to alternate which days I do muscle groups. You will find what works for you best, but if you’re like me and just want to tone up a little and lose some lbs then a simple exercise routine is probably the best from a practicality / benefit perspective.

While I know I *could* do far more, a few hours a week seems to be all I need to have a really positive effect on weight loss and overall fitness. For me going to the gym is a chore, so it needs to be quick and easy or I will simply find an excuse to not go :)

I do find that mixing up some weight and resistance training really adds benefit to the weight loss, and personally I find it much more varied and interesting than just plodding along on a treadmill for an hour.

From what I understand, just raising your heart-rate for a few hours a week alone has significant benefits, so mixing it up seems like the ideal solution with some weight training seems ideal (I have a Polar heart rate monitor, and my heart rate is generally just as high on weights as it is on cardio machines).

I'm sure you will get some good advice here though; there are some quite knowledgeable people who post on this forum.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
No doubt adding lean muscle mass will improve fat loss, because the more muscle you haev the more fat your body will burn, even when resting . If just starting out dont go into full bore cause you might hurt yourself ... i prefer to do cardio afterwards so i dont zap my energy for the wieghts ..

G

ive got muscle.. ive got good muscle

but when DIETTING does anyone know how many times i should b gyming?

I cant see my old 5 days being good

G

That pic is 1 year old. I have put 2kg of fat on since that pic. I want to shred it, but have never actually altered my gym plan to tackle FAT.

So this is where im confused.

johnsje

Reaction score
I do three days a week of total body workout and 2 days of HIIT( High Intensity interval training.) This with at least a decent diet will make the lbs come off.

I would not do a whole lot of Cardio before a weight lifting session. The only reason I say that is because you have to expend alot of energy when doing Cardio and it will cause your weight sessions to be less that what they could be.

Look up HIIT and total body workouts. It totals about 7 hours a week total for exercise. Not bad for good health.

Blx

Reaction score
Your body burns calories by itself to give you energy during the day. This is dependent on your sex, age, height, weight, amount of muscle and activity level. A basic rule is, if you have more muscle, your body needs more energy, so it burns more calories. So weight lifting is not just good for your strength, it's also a great way to lose weight. If you keep building muscle, you'll only burn more calories thus making it easier to lose weight.

That being said, a good diet is the most important thing when it comes to weight loss. Check your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to see how many calories you burn a day, and just eat lower than that. You can check how many calories you eat with the MyFitnessPal app. You can check your TDEE here: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/