weight gain again

G

can you maybe take an advantage of the finasteride weight (if it's there) gain while pumping iron and bulking??

NHLfan

Reaction score
My experience with weight gain on finasteride was NOT GOOD. My weight shot up almost overnight. I'm a really fit guy (plays lots of sports and works out religiously) and I know when my body is acting strange. It wasn't just the weight gain itself (my weight's been up and down before due to season or workout routine), but the shape of the weight I was putting on. Jiggly, nasty stuff right on the abs and overall puffiness in the torso and chest....very unattractive.

Then again, I've heard that this is a rare side and your results may vary. For all those guys that say they've had zero sides on finasteride, I hate you. :)

drinkrum

Reaction score
NHLfan said:
My experience with weight gain on finasteride was NOT GOOD. My weight shot up almost overnight. I'm a really fit guy (plays lots of sports and works out religiously) and I know when my body is acting strange. It wasn't just the weight gain itself (my weight's been up and down before due to season or workout routine), but the shape of the weight I was putting on. Jiggly, nasty stuff right on the abs and overall puffiness in the torso and chest....very unattractive.

Then again, I've heard that this is a rare side and your results may vary. For all those guys that say they've had zero sides on finasteride, I hate you. :)

Did you give enough time for your body to adjust?

D.

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
How much time to adjust to finasteride would you say is a good amount of time? 2 weeks? 1 month? 2 months?

drinkrum

Reaction score
doggfather said:
How much time to adjust to finasteride would you say is a good amount of time? 2 weeks? 1 month? 2 months?

Couple months sounds fine to me. Don't jump the gun.

D.

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn... a couple of months? That's a long time don't you think. If you had a side effect for one whole month or longer don't you think there's something wrong and you should listen to your body and stop whatever is causing that?

NHLfan

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
NHLfan said:

Did you give enough time for your body to adjust?

D.

Yeah. I was still gaining weight like mad after 2 months on 1mg. I reduced the dose down to 0.25mg and it still wasn't doing me much good.

I'm off the stuff for now so I can flush my system, and am going to try it again in a month or so at 0.25mg dosage to see how I tolerate it

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cool NHL. Technically, finasteride shouldn't cause weight gain. However, you can be very sensitive to the substance and/or already have an elevated estradiol level. If you really wanted to be sure, get a blood test due before finasteride and then get another one after being on it for a couple of months. Make sure they test for E2 (estradiol, not total estrogens), T (free T and total T), and DHT. LH, FSH, etc. would be nice too.

D.

NHLfan

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Cool NHL. Technically, finasteride shouldn't cause weight gain. However, you can be very sensitive to the substance and/or already have an elevated estradiol level. If you really wanted to be sure, get a blood test due before finasteride and then get another one after being on it for a couple of months. Make sure they test for E2 (estradiol, not total estrogens), T (free T and total T), and DHT. LH, FSH, etc. would be nice too.

D.

Hmm...I actually had a blood test done last fall before I started finasteride. I was feeling really tired for days on end and decided to get checked out. I asked the Doctor to test everything under the sun (things like iron and such), but I don't think those were on the list. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

I talked to an endocrinologist who perscribes propecia and proscar to patients and she mentioned that she'd never heard of weight gain from the stuff until I told her about it. I couldn't believe it....the stuff just packs the pounds right onto my gut when I go near it