weed and hair loss

Reaction score
ive never found out a definate answer for this. does smoking weed have anything to do with hair loss. Ive heard some people say it actually gets rid of some DHT, but others have said any kind of smoking is bad for your hair. any thoughts on this? we're talkin about people smoking it every day.

thanks,
nick

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
hairisthinning said:
ive never found out a definate answer for this. does smoking weed have anything to do with hair loss. Ive heard some people say it actually gets rid of some DHT, but others have said any kind of smoking is bad for your hair. any thoughts on this? we're talkin about people smoking it every day.

thanks,
nick

Make brownies!

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
I can say with confidence it has not assisted me in my fight against hair loss. :shakehead:

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
hmm,long time smoker here,long time losing hair too............being so stoned made it easier to ignore my hairloss and i really regret that cos if i had jumped on meds sooner id be much better off.....but in answer to your question,i don't think any proper studies have been conducted so there is no way anyone on these boards could give you a definitive reply :)

Reaction score
haha dang. cause i smoke a lot of weed. and my hairloss situation is really bad for my age (was before i smoked too)

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make a couple of statements here, the truthfullness I'm not 100% sure of, so let me know if I'm wrong about anything.

Minoxidil helps regrow hair because it increases the amount of oxygen that can get to the root. weed produces a high because it reduces the amount of oxygen that gets to your brain. Reduced amount of oxygen going to head means less oxygen going to the roots of your hair. Less oxygen to roots of hair means more shedding.

Sound good?

bold

Reaction score
bupolo said:
I'm going to make a couple of statements here, the truthfullness I'm not 100% sure of, so let me know if I'm wrong about anything.

Minoxidil helps regrow hair because it increases the amount of oxygen that can get to the root. weed produces a high because it reduces the amount of oxygen that gets to your brain. Reduced amount of oxygen going to head means less oxygen going to the roots of your hair. Less oxygen to roots of hair means more shedding.

Sound good?
Oxygen? Where did you come up with that?
Minoxidil helps regrow hair because it lower the dht. Or am I missing something here? :freak:

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
:smoke: I'd go bald if I could get a prescription for some medicinal goodies.

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
Is any one up to not smoking for say a month or two to see if they notice a difference in hair loss?

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys heard some thing about hemp oil being good for hair growth? If hemp oil is good for your hair why would maryj be bad? Higher concentration of THC maybe?

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
theres some study somewhere saying cigarettes raised dht and some other things on the order of 20%. Quitting smoking is like getting on propecia. I wonder if weed has a similar effect although THC itself is purportedly anti-inflammatory.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
e reed said:
Is any one up to not smoking for say a month or two to see if they notice a difference in hair loss?

I stopped weed about 8 week ago after smoking daily for 15 years, this is the longest I have gone without and feel better for it, I can't say I notice any difference in my hair quality although I seem to be shedding but this has gone on for a few weeks since trying out and quitting revita

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
Good for you Lucky, I wish I could do the same. It's hard when it's always around, and I just love it! Not so much the being high, but just smoking it is enjoyable and relaxing. If I had some thing that smelled and tasted just like some good herb but didn't get me stoned I would be a lot better off.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
e reed said:
Good for you Lucky, I wish I could do the same. It's hard when it's always around, and I just love it! Not so much the being high, but just smoking it is enjoyable and relaxing. If I had some thing that smelled and tasted just like some good herb but didn't get me stoned I would be a lot better off.

Cheers e reed, it wasn't easy at first, I tried to quit a few few times, usually when there was a drought on :crazy: but I never lasted more than a week, I agree with you on the relaxation side but after a few of years of smoking it I felt I was smoking it out of routine, and one spliff always led to another and there was a lot of crappy weed around here so I decided to stick it out this time, life seems a lot more boring without the ganga though

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
e reed said:

im currently not puffing the magic dragon,well i say currently,its been a whole 4 days but im going to take a long time off.......my previous longest time was 99 days and it was such a happy number i smoked a big spliff to celebrate and duly fell over :)

im back to running every night and exercising,i love the weed but exercising is good too....plus my girl could have been an Olympic runner so i feel i should make the effort.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have battled with weed for the past 12 years and have quit more than 10 times, everywhere from a whole year to a month or so... For some reason I am smoking it again!!! *grrrrr* I don't do it much during the week, but if I have an open weekend with nothing on it's cone after cone after cone after cone (you get the picture...)

I hate the sh*t... it really stuffs around with me - makes me lazy and irritable in the mornings. I can definitely control it, but over the next few weeks I will be quitting it altogether, at least until Christmas time. I have never noticed a difference between smoking and not smoking as far as hair treatment is concerned, although when I was smoking every day and then didn't have it for a week or so, my stress levels would be sky high - which is definitely counteractive for my treatments.

I suppose if taken in excess (like ridiculous amounts) it would take a toll on your hair. But it would take a toll on everything, general health included.

e reed said:
If I had some thing that smelled and tasted just like some good herb but didn't get me stoned I would be a lot better off.

I can't stand the taste or smell of it! I'm the opposite, I like the high. The other day I was cleaning my tonsils with a cotton tip and proceeded to barf the meal I had just eaten straight into the basin. After that my eyes swelled right up and watered and went red - it felt like I was stoned, just 'cos of the eyes. I thought to myself, that if I could just do that every afternoon I wouldn't ever need weed....

...maybe I'd end up with Bulimia - but at least I'd be kicking the weed habit *lol*