Want to try Fincar and Avodart together, but what order??

johnnyu

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi, I enjoy reading most topics on this forum.
My question is: I recently purchased 6 months supply of generic Avodart and 1 yr supply of Fincar. I will be also using the Nano Shampoo a few days a week, would it be effective if I took 1.25g Fincar two days in a row then take .5 g of Avodart every third day. or what order would you suggest. I would like to try and use both if possibe because of financial reasons since I can't get a refund on the Fincar as long as it is possible that it could be effective.
I'm 33 yrs old and have never tried anything before except minoxadil when I was in my early twenties and only used that for a few months. My hair has receded pretty high and is starting to thin and I need to try something before it gets any worse. Any help from experienced more knowledgable members would be much appreciated.

Bismarck

Reaction score
I would _only_ take Finasteride for a year or so. Maybe it is sufficient for you. Taking Finasteride and Dutasteride together doesn't make sense to me. Or would you like to have 160% DHT inhibition? :wink:

johnnyu

Reaction score
hmmm, the reason why I thought I'd need the Avodart is for my widows peak. Is finasteride effective over your entire head because I thought I remembered reading there are two types of Dht Blockers; type 1 (Avodart) for temporal region, and type 2 (finasteride) for middle and crown region. Thanks for the reply.. :)

Bismarck

Reaction score
Don't know if 5-alpha-reductase type 1 (only inhibited by Dutasteride [Avodart]) plays a major role in frontal / bitemporal loss (ask Brian!). Generally, it seems to harder to treat hairloss in these areas. dutasteride has shown to grow 1,5 times more hair than finasteride but I wouldn't expect wonders. The combination of both is certainly nonsense.

bis

Bismarck

Reaction score
I don't want you to misunderstand me:
Finasteride inhibits only type 2 and Dutasteride type 2 AND type 1.
finasteride does about 70% and dutasteride about 90% DHT lowering.

bis

johnnyu

Reaction score
OK, I know you think it's a waste but I think I still may try the two days on finasteride and one day on Avodart and see what happens.

Thanks Again..

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't know if 5-alpha-reductase type 1 (only inhibited by Dutasteride [Avodart]) plays a major role in frontal / bitemporal loss (ask Brian!).

Bryan Writes:

"BTW, the "human" part of my statement above comes from the fact that Merck actually tested MK386 in a human trial, and was quite surprised to find that it had no effect on balding, just like in the stumptailed macaque test. Those facts, combined with what we've learned about the "pseudohermaphrodites", is pretty damned convincing evidence that the type 2 enzyme is of paramount importance for common balding."

That is from a discussion I had with Bryan on another board :)

As far as Finasteride, it blocks 85%-90% of type 2 DHT where as Dutasteride blocks like 98%.

**EDIT**

I guess I should also add that MK386 is a specific type 1 inhibitor :)