Want to try a simpler application method with UTS & Ghostbond. Do you guys think it'll work?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no throwaway pieces left so I'm going to have to try this on a nice, new piece - but I'm concerned it'll lead to trouble. What do you guys think?

I prep my scalp then apply ghostbond to most of my scalp - but not to the very edges. The reason I don't want to apply the glue right to the edges is I run the risk of getting my hair stuck in the glue. What's more, it allows for more breathability & allows for easier remover.

My concern isn't that my edges will flap up or something (poly pieces grip the head nicely) but that if it gets too hot, will the white glue potentially melt and run down into the hair?

I've never tried ghostbond without clamping down the edges - so I'm curious if this technique will work, or will it lead to disaster?

I just it too hard to paint the glue on to my head perfectly, so I'm hoping this will work...

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do a similar routine to this, but I add one more step. First I apply to glue to my scalp but I leave about 1cm around the edge so that I don't get glue onto my bio hair. I let this dry/cure as normal.

Then, a couple of minutes before attaching the piece, I put a thin layer of glue on the perimeter of the base itself. This helps get a perfectly bonded system right up to the edges.

Yes when it's hot, or even just after 10 days or so, the glue will seep out a little bit - but the glue is soft by then and easy to get out of my hair (it's only a very small amount anyway) and by then it's time to refresh the fitting anyway.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I'd previously been apply a little glue to the center of my head. I'd then apply the piece. This would allow me to adjust if the fit wasn't right, as the glue would be dry but cured, or hard-holding. Then I'd fill in the rest.

I really just don't want to go all the way down to the edge.

Doesn't applying directly to the base make cleanup harder, leaving more residue on the piece than on the scalp ultimately?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@deg_dilemma: Does painting glue directly onto the base and letting it dry still allow for adjustment?

Also, with regard to the minimal amount of seepage you speak of, how do you get that glue of your unit's hair?