Want To Start Taking Finasteride At 24 Y.o

INT

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 24. Baldness in my family goes along my mother’s line. Grandfather at 23-24 shone like a bowling ball, uncle bald after 30.
My baldness began at the age of 18-19.
I have been using only minoxidil 5% for about 10 months now, there is growth, but active loss continues.
I think about using finasteride but I'm afraid of side effects.
1.What can you advise to get rid of fear,and what tests to take before starting?
2.which dermaroller to choose. 0.5mm / 1mm / 1.5mm ?
3.what norwood i have ?
4.what are my chances of regrowing from the finasteride ?
situation now,photos after shower

If you are afraid of sides starts with a very low dose or even safer, low dose topical.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
You seem to have a lot of hair left so there is a good chance for recovery if you respond well to finasteride, don't read too much into sides, very rarely will you get severe sides, just start at 1mg a day along with your minoxidil and dermarolling and give it 12 months, as for dermaroller size 1mm or 1.5mm, i would suggest 1.5mm but that's just me.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
-Start doing Finasteride ONLY if your dermatologist asks you to.

-If he does, take it and just forget. Sides are pretty rare, less than 5%.

-If you get sides (which is very rare), you'll notice within the first month. If that happened I'd drop it as soon as I could, but some people ride them out and are fine. But as I said, it's pretty rare.

-Give it a full year before assuming it's not working.

-You probably will have a shedding the first 2-3-4 months. It's normal and actually a good sign. Ride it out. It's the old, weak hair leaving room for stronger one.

-I use a 1 mm dermaroller. You could use the 1.5 though. There is almost no difference. Use it once per week, and wait a day before using minoxidil.

-Start taking hair vitamin supplements, from the pharmacy. Good shampoo and Ketoconazol as well.

-Give yourself a scalp massage everyday, 5-10 minutes long.

-Start eating good food: meat, fish, vegetables, cheese, milk, fruit, eggs, water, etc. Drop fast food and sugar.

Give it all a year and come back and show us how it's been.

INT

Reaction score
-If you get sides (which is very rare), you'll notice within the first month. If that happened I'd drop it as soon as I could, but some people ride them out and are fine. But as I said, it's pretty rare.

-Start taking hair vitamin supplements, from the pharmacy.

Waste of money

-Start eating good food: meat, fish, vegetables, cheese, milk, fruit, eggs, water, etc. Drop fast food and sugar.

Dairy is not good food. Most supermarket meats are neither and overconsumption of eggs is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Also too much fruit is too much sugar.

I am done being a snob now.

Give it all a year and come back and show us how it's been.[/QUOTE]

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Waste of money

Dairy is not good food. Most supermarket meats are neither and overconsumption of eggs is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Also too much fruit is too much sugar.

I am done being a snob now.

Give it all a year and come back and show us how it's been.
[/QUOTE]

Nah, not a waist of money. It won't do much against Androgenetic Alopecia but it's actually important to get the necessary amounts of Biotin and other vitamins.

Don't know where you are from, but I'm Spanish. Food on the supermarkets is actually pretty good around here. Meat and fish is as natural as it gets. And I'm not saying eating eggs everyday, but it's one of the most important ones. And I meant "artificial" sugar, don't know thw word in english.

INT

Reaction score

Nah, not a waist of money. It won't do much against Androgenetic Alopecia but it's actually important to get the necessary amounts of Biotin and other vitamins.

Don't know where you are from, but I'm Spanish. Food on the supermarkets is actually pretty good around here. Meat and fish is as natural as it gets. And I'm not saying eating eggs everyday, but it's one of the most important ones. And I meant "artificial" sugar, don't know thw word in english.[/QUOTE]

Biotin deficiencies are extremely rare. And I lived in Spain as well and if you think that most meats in the supermarket are 'natural' (whatever that means, natural does not imply good) you need to do some research on the industries behind them.

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
Biotin deficiencies are extremely rare. And I lived in Spain as well and if you think that most meats in the supermarket are 'natural' (whatever that means, natural does not imply good) you need to do some research on the industries behind them.

Finally something we agree on.

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, I advise checking out this YouTube podcast series by two Australian doctors. It's short and worth watching to get some general information on their experiences prescribing it. Other than that, the preponderance of studies on finasteride demonstrate that it is an extremely safe drug, despite the bitter cries of some who have negative side effects, and then fail to accept they're simply in the unlucky 5%.

That's not to say I'm telling you to take the drugs, get informed and perhaps try topical finasteride. That being said, if you seriously wish to prevent your hair loss, blocking the DHT pathway with Finasteride/Dutasteride are basically necessary. If you make a decision now to not take them, make sure you're fully comfortable and at peace with losing your hair, because I delayed as many others did, although I am still at a point where people can't tell I'm balding, I could have potentially saved more hair if I hadn't been scared by the stories earlier.

Good luck.

MichaelScofield225

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my country, doctors are skeptical about putting on finasteride. I think this is due to the lack of experience. In fact, I decided for myself what to try. I really hope that everything will be fine (without side effects and that it will affect me). Thank you all for the answers. I will keep you in the know