Want to get fitter and stronger

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 18 and a bit scrawny. I don't really feel like going to the gym.

So i've proposed myself a 6-week starting routine, and would like to have any changes/hints/suggestions.

At least four days per week

Pushups. 15 in 20 seconds. Repeat 3x with 5 min breaks. 45 in total
Pullups. 10 in 20 seconds. Repeat 3x with 5 min breaks. 30 in total
Situps. 20 in 30 seconds. Repeat 4x with 2 min breaks. 80 in total
Weights. I only have 10kg and 10kg. So unsure about how much to do here.
Jogging/Running. 15 minutes.

Now i'm just wondering, if its a bad idea to Jog/Run during the time I Pushups/Pullups/Situps/Weights?

Any other suggestions?

bluntman

Reaction score
Sounds good considering you dont to hit the gym. I would check out all the different variations of pushups to add a bit of diversity in your routine. Im sure you can get creative and diversify the pullups and situps also. I would suggest to invest $5 and buy a jump rope and bust on that for a little bit each day until you can go nonstop for a while.
Running or jogging isnt bad, actually i have heard that after lifting your body can burn fat more efficiently. I bought a book called "combat conditioning" by matt frey a while back and there are hundreds of body weight exercises that can be done. Just remember to bump up your protein intake if you want to grow in size.

good luck

CCS

Reaction score
that is an excellent start. Don't worry about the order much. Anything will help you right now if you are not yet able to do 50+ push-ups at once. I used to mix combos like that at home and it go me in shape. And chin-ups will give you some really nice wings eventually.

mgmt

Reaction score
speculum2 said:
I'm 18 and a bit scrawny. I don't really feel like going to the gym.

So i've proposed myself a 6-week starting routine, and would like to have any changes/hints/suggestions.

At least four days per week

Pushups. 15 in 20 seconds. Repeat 3x with 5 min breaks. 45 in total
Pullups. 10 in 20 seconds. Repeat 3x with 5 min breaks. 30 in total
Situps. 20 in 30 seconds. Repeat 4x with 2 min breaks. 80 in total
Weights. I only have 10kg and 10kg. So unsure about how much to do here.
Jogging/Running. 15 minutes.

Now i'm just wondering, if its a bad idea to Jog/Run during the time I Pushups/Pullups/Situps/Weights?

Any other suggestions?

Looks like a good starter plan. Like blunt said, make sure you increase your Protein intake. And keep your cardio to a minimal, if you're looking to bulk. Getting ample sleep is often overlooked (experts recommend about 8 hours)- mucles are repaired and grow shile you sleep, not while you exercise.

Once you've got push-ups down solid, try elevating your legs and/or bringing your hands in closer (for added difficulty).

Once you've nailed chins, try widening your grip. This is not as easy as it sounds- the biggest guys at the gym struggle with these LOL.

I would also suggest finding a way to include dips (on chairs, between your kitchen counter and the table, whatever...)

Try less rest between sets, maybe like 1 to 1.5 minutes (2 or 3 minutes tops)