WaltherK's Story - (Regimen Critique)

waltherk

Reaction score
First I'd like to say this site is a great resource and thank you to everyone here for being so helpful.

I probably started losing my hair when I was 20/21. I am now 24 and have noticed that the thinning has really accelerated in the last 6 months or so. There's a very small bald spot at the vertex, but overall the crown of my head isn't too bad. I am more worried about the thinning that's occurring at the temples and mid-scalp area. When the hair is dry the scalp is not visible, but it is when the hair is wet.

Anyway, up to this point my treatment regimen, while limited, has been futile. I tried Propecia but kicked that sh*t to the curb in a hurry when I noticed the first signs of sexual side effects...just not even close to being worth it in my book.

So after that utter failure, I turned to Rogaine Liquid 2x a day. I've only been using it for a month, so I can't give a definitive report on its effectiveness, but so far it seems like I am noticing less shedding. After reading these forums, I think I'm going to add Nizoral 1% three or four times a week.

My goals are pretty realistic imo--I can deal with going bald in my 30s and 40s--so I really just want to keep what I have until then, or at least slow down the hair loss. Anyway, in terms of achieving that goal, do you think my regimen is sufficient to at least have a hope? Is there anything you would add, keeping in mind that I'm a student and broke most of the time (couldn't even afford Propecia if I wanted to start up again)? Finally, I am using the Rogaine Liquid because I heard some horror stories about extreme shedding with the foam. The problem with the liquid, however, is that in the morning it clumps my hair together and makes it look pretty awful--whats the point of using a product to stop hair loss if it makes the hair you do have look terrible, right? So I'm thinking about going to a once a day application before I go to bed. Is this advisable (as I've read some accounts that say 1x a day can be just about as effective) or should I stick with the 2x. Any advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone