Walker Ultra Hold Adhesive - a gooey, sticky mess to apply

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I decided to try Walker Tape Ultra Hold Adhesive, and my order arrived today. I only use it for the front of the hairline where the parting is exposed - I use tape for the rest of my attachment. I noticed the Ultra Hold is quite thick and gooey, and quite tricky to apply. I thought the applicator brush that comes with the bottle would make it easy to apply, but not so. The stem of the brush gets adhesive on it, which drips down onto the brush while applying. Also, the adhesive can start to dry around the edges of the container, making it less liquidy. Also when taking the brush out there seem to be long strands of adhesive coming with it.

There's also a circular piece that pushes up into the top of the applicator, which falls down during attachment, so I had to push it back up. Actually, I'm not sure whether it is supposed to be pushed into the top - maybe it's supposed to be put around the top of the container and uses to wipe off the excess adhesive, I don't know?

Overall it seems quite tricky to apply compared to white adhesive I've used in the part. It especially seems tricky to apply to a small area as it's hard to get only a small amount of adhesive on the brush. It'd probably be easier to apply to a bigger area, maybe my whole hairline, as I can brush it over to disperse it a bit more.

I guess it's just practice, and it'll probably get easier with a bit of time! What I managed to apply seems to give an excellent hold so far and does not seem to produce any noticeable shine under bright light.

I just wondered if anyone else here uses Walker Tape Ultra Hold Adhesive, and if they've experienced the same challenges applying it, especially to smaller areas? Does anyone have any tips to help apply it more easily? Thanks.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I decided to try Walker Tape Ultra Hold Adhesive, and my order arrived today. I only use it for the front of the hairline where the parting is exposed - I use tape for the rest of my attachment. I noticed the Ultra Hold is quite thick and gooey, and quite tricky to apply. I thought the applicator brush that comes with the bottle would make it easy to apply, but not so. The stem of the brush gets adhesive on it, which drips down onto the brush while applying. Also, the adhesive can start to dry around the edges of the container, making it less liquidy. Also when taking the brush out there seem to be long strands of adhesive coming with it.

There's also a circular piece that pushes up into the top of the applicator, which falls down during attachment, so I had to push it back up. Actually, I'm not sure whether it is supposed to be pushed into the top - maybe it's supposed to be put around the top of the container and uses to wipe off the excess adhesive, I don't know?

Overall it seems quite tricky to apply compared to white adhesive I've used in the part. It especially seems tricky to apply to a small area as it's hard to get only a small amount of adhesive on the brush. It'd probably be easier to apply to a bigger area, maybe my whole hairline, as I can brush it over to disperse it a bit more.

I guess it's just practice, and it'll probably get easier with a bit of time! What I managed to apply seems to give an excellent hold so far and does not seem to produce any noticeable shine under bright light.

I just wondered if anyone else here uses Walker Tape Ultra Hold Adhesive, and if they've experienced the same challenges applying it, especially to smaller areas? Does anyone have any tips to help apply it more easily? Thanks.
Dilute by 50% with 99% isopropyl alcohol... Alternatively, you can use their other version, Mighty tite......which is diluted Ultra hold

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dilute by 50% with 99% isopropyl alcohol... Alternatively, you can use their other version, Mighty tite......which is diluted Ultra hold

Thanks for the info, but doesn't isopropyl weaken or break the bond? I mean, we use isopropyl to detach a hair system, to release the tape and/or glue, so how does putting 50% isopropyl into Ultra Hold make it still work?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but doesn't isopropyl weaken or break the bond? I mean, we use isopropyl to detach a hair system, to release the tape and/or glue, so how does putting 50% isopropyl into Ultra Hold make it still work?
It works perfectly fine. I've noticed zero reduction in hold. Alcohol is the carrier already in ultra hold. You're simply modifying the ratio.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If you have no joy with the alcohol then try Mity-Tite if you can. It's a weaker version of Ultra-hold. The main reason I would recommend it is because it's VERY easy to apply and VERY easy to clean. Also less harsh than ultra-hold. I get around 4 days hold with it. All these glues have their pros and cons. The stronger the glue the harder the clean-up which is a pain if you do a two week regroom like I do. If I am unable to fully clean the lace then the next week it's just messy. Also the longer you leave it the harder the clean-up. With this one it's easy enough to re-do every 3-4 days and holds well when fresh. Also, once you've applied the glue and put the lace down, if you tie a satin headband for 15mins, the excess just sticks to that so you don't need to be too precise and makes things easier.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do you find Ultra Hold adhesive damages lace? I mean, that stuff clings hard to it, and it bound to wear the lace down a bit on detachment and cleaning.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do you find Ultra Hold adhesive damages lace? I mean, that stuff clings hard to it, and it bound to wear the lace down a bit on detachment and cleaning.
I personally found when cleaning ultra hold it would seap through a lot more and in trying to clean it I lost more hair. It really was a big mess but did hold well for around a week. My biggest issue was I could never figure out how to apply it evenly. I'm not sure why the alcohol trick didn't work for me. With regards to the lace - I didn't notice any damage to lace but I use a water flosser to clean the lace if it gets really messy. With mity-tite it hardly ever seeps & I just re-do it more often so it looks amazing all the time and very easy to clean.