Waiting for appointment to get Propecia; should I get minoxidil?

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll get to see a doctor in January (I hope), and hopefully I'll get Propecia. Should I start using Minoxidil/Rogaine in the meantime? I'm 20 (born in late 1984), a diffuse NW2.5 and have been losing hair since the age of sixteen. If I was to be adviced to; I could get on Minoxidil today, in a few hours. I've been sceptic about medical treatments for the past few years; but I don't really feel like I have very much to lose anymore (pun not intended).

(Oh. This is my first post, by the way. I've been lurking in the shadows of the hairsite-forums for some years; and I must say that I really prefer the tone in the discussions I've found here over that found at the hairsite board. This seems to be a great board; especially in comparison.)

----

Since none have answered yet; I'd like to add a question. My hair is most noticable thinner (much thinner) than it was a year ago, but during all this time, I've not been able to pull out a single hair without using the same (or maybe even greater) force that I'd have to use on a hair growing on the sides. I haven't seen any shedding at all; nothing on the pillow and nothing in the shower. Where does it go? O_O

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Waiting for appointment to get Propecia; should I get Mi

pbxr said:
I'll get to see a doctor in January (I hope), and hopefully I'll get Propecia. Should I start using Minoxidil/Rogaine in the meantime? I'm 20 (born in late 1984), a diffuse NW2.5 and have been losing hair since the age of sixteen. If I was to be adviced to; I could get on Minoxidil today, in a few hours. I've been sceptic about medical treatments for the past few years; but I don't really feel like I have very much to lose anymore (pun not intended).

If you feel like you mainly just want to maintain what you have then hold out for the Propecia BUT if you think you have the need for some measurable re-growth then I'd recommend going ahead with the Min. Also, make sure to grab some Nizoral shampoo and use as directed.

Since none have answered yet; I'd like to add a question. My hair is most noticable thinner (much thinner) than it was a year ago, but during all this time, I've not been able to pull out a single hair without using the same (or maybe even greater) force that I'd have to use on a hair growing on the sides. I haven't seen any shedding at all; nothing on the pillow and nothing in the shower. Where does it go? O_O

I'm pretty much in the same situation, a NW2 or so with diffuse thinning. I never really had a noticeable shed, either. So my guess is that our hair is just going through it's natural growing cycle but slowly getting thinner over time. I would imagine if you look real close you will see a lot of smaller, thinner, lighter colored hairs among normal growth.

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score

macdruid said:
If you feel like you mainly just want to maintain what you have then hold out for the Propecia BUT if you think you have the need for some measurable re-growth then I'd recommend going ahead with the Min. Also, make sure to grab some Nizoral shampoo and use as directed.

Thanks for your answer. Over the past year, much of my skin has become more and more visible through my hair, and now it even shines through (very evidently) without very extensive lighting (with extensive lighting, you could almost be fooled to believe that most of the hair already was gone, but it still feels reasonably thick), so I guess I have the need. I'll get on minoxidil as quickly as possible then. Will it do anything at all to prevent further loss until I get Propecia?

Ah. Yes. I've been wondering about this. Is Nizoral very important for the results? I live in Sweden, and I've never seen anything called Nizoral. Maybe it's called something else here?

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score

pbxr said:
Thanks for your answer. Over the past year, much of my skin has become more and more visible through my hair, and now it

yup, that sounds about like my pattern of loss and the right side / top of my head seems a little worse than the left side, making the whole thing more apparent.

have the need. I'll get on minoxidil as quickly as possible then. Will it do anything at all to prevent further loss until I get Propecia?

It should begin helping but if it's only going to be a month or so until you get on Propecia then I wouldn't worry too much about whatever you might loose before then. The important thing is that you just get started on *something*.

Ah. Yes. I've been wondering about this. Is Nizoral very important for the results? I live in Sweden, and I've never seen anything called Nizoral. Maybe it's called something else here?

Well, some studies seem to indicate the Nizoral is just as good as 2% Minoxidil. More importantly, it's very good if you have any scalp irritation at all. It improved the condition of my scalp incredibly, in fact. If you can't find it local, you should be able to find it online.

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score

macdruid said:
Well, some studies seem to indicate the Nizoral is just as good as 2% Minoxidil. More importantly, it's very good if you have any scalp irritation at all. It improved the condition of my scalp incredibly, in fact. If you can't find it local, you should be able to find it online.

I found something called Fungoral, containing ketoconazole. Could this be similar? It's for the treatment of small, white skin flakes in your hair.

If so; I'll get some Rogaine Forte and Fungoral tomorrow.

---

I just did a search on "fungoral" on this board, and it seems like Nizoral and Fungoral are basically the same stuff.

Then, I'll get on Minoxidil and Fungoral tomorrow, and hopefully Propecia before february. I'll probably keep you updated (with pictures) for some years. Wish me luck. ;)

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score

pbxr said:
I found something called Fungoral, containing ketoconazole. Could this be similar? It's for the treatment of small, white skin flakes in your hair.

Yup, as long as there's 1% (or more) of the active ingredient then it should, essentially, be the same.

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score

macdruid said:
pbxr said:

Yup, as long as there's 1% (or more) of the active ingredient then it should, essentially, be the same.

Would 20mg/ml make 2% or 0.2%?

---

They were out of Rogaine today, so I'll have to get that after christmas; but at least I've begun using Fungoral/Nizoral. I'm still not sure if it is 0.2% or 2% though. Could anyone enlighten me in this question?

Also; would anyone recommend against beginning with Minoxidil before Finasteride, even though I'm in need of all regrowth I can get?

I've read some topics stating that the areas where the authors used Minoxidil have been thinner than those left alone for Finasteride to work on after a few months. Is that only a sign of impatience and healthy shedding, or could Minoxidil in fact do real, irrecoverable damage?