Vjon's Story - (Living in denial)

vjon

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is Jon and I just joined today. In a nutshell, I've been balding (diffuse thinning from forehead past the crown) for about 6 years now. To try and compensate for the balding I've had the barber buzz me down to a #2 all over but tapered at the ears and neckline. I've had the buzz for about 3 years and at first it didn't look too bad, but it's steadily thinned out more and more.... Anyway, yesterday I went to a different barber and the first thing he asked was what guard? When I said #2 he responded with "the top as well"? I said "yes", but sensing my slow "yes" he came back with "some guys just have me clean up the top with the edger".... Obviously I knew I was really balding, but I guess I just didn't realize it was THAT bad. It only took a second for me to say "sure, go ahead" 15 minutes later I walked out of the shop no longer balding, but bald. No matter how much little stubble I still had up top, at least I had "some" hair that still grew up there, so to see myself in the mirror with the completely "bald guy haircut"....completely bald top front to back with the tightly buzzed taper along the sides and back was quite a shock. In retrospect, it probably should have happened a couple years ago, but I just never wanted to accept it. Though, it's still a little bit of a shock to know that my hair is finally gone for good.
Have you guys ever had an experience like this at the barbers?

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I hate it when you get caught off-guard like that.

When I realized it was when I was in a clothing store with one of those dressing areas with 360 degree mirrors and bright lights. Yah. Not fun.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Many years ago I used to keep my hair in a Flat-Top style, I liked the style and it used to suit me; all was well until one day, I had an experience similar to yours....

It seemed like a routine trip to the barber, the sun was shining, birds were singing, and I sat down in the barber's chair....

Barry (for that was his name), was stood right behind me, clippers in hand, as I happily announced "The usual please Barry!"; Barry however, had an awkward expression on his face, an expression I did not like the look of.

He tweaked my hair a little, smoothed my hair this way and that, before he said to me, in a dark and ominous voice "I'm afraid that's no longer going to be possible, it's just too thin now".

At that point, the world turned from vibrant colour to monochrome, the birds stopped singing and where there was sunshine, now there were dark and heavy clouds...

finasteride.

Ok, so for me it actually wasn't that bad, but I do remember the day I described above very well :)