Vitamins For Hair - Why do people bother?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read countless reports stating vitamins are unlikely do make any difference in hair loss or hair growth. So why do so many take them?

Firstly You would have to be deficient in a vitamin and would need a very detailed blood work done to find that out, i doubt many do this.

Secondly unless you have a terrible diet it's unlikely you are deficient anyway and if you do have such a bad diet popping a few pills isn't really the answer.

There is some evidence that supplements might have an adverse on peoples health.

I wonder how much money is wasted on supplements without any actual scientific evidence to prove they help your hair.

I welcome a discussion on theis.

jazz1

Reaction score
Biotin does work especially higher dosage but can cause other bad side effects! Biotin will not stop male pattern baldness, more cosmetic thickening of the hair shaft. Multi vitamins do not stop male pattern baldness, they only help contribute to healthy hairs whilst you halt your Hairloss via DHT blockers. The ones you want to use should be evenly balanced as some contain silly high dosage vitamins!

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Vitamins have chemicals. You know, the expiry thing.

Just follow a proper diet.

Veggies, protein etc.

Organic ones.

Get your vitamins from there.

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have diffuse thinning and want to thicken your hair, viviscal actually works. I tried it twice and it thickens the follicles. Even white wispy hairs around the temple had colour after a few months. I quit due to body hair growth and buzzed my head, but that marine algae sh*t works like minoxidil lol

Johnson40

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Delusion, when you starts losing your hair the first thing you do is looking around on the internet, and invariably you find about "Telogen effluvium" and this discovery is like magic to you "A hair loss conditions than resolves itself in a few months after the trigger is removed", well you think to yourself "Ok i wasn't pregnant, i didn't had a surgery, i don't take medication, it's probably the stress from work and a deficiency!", so you start munching pill like a kid in a candy shop, before eventually coming to terms with the hard truth.

But honestly it's not something to be ruled out completely either, it might be a useful placebo for the middle aged housewife, some have minors effect apparently and well deficient people that would benefits from it do exists.
The body is a delicate machine, other measure can also be thrown off if for some reason you're on a hard treatment, including vitamins.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Biotin does work especially higher dosage but can cause other bad side effects! Biotin will not stop male pattern baldness, more cosmetic thickening of the hair shaft. Multi vitamins do not stop male pattern baldness, they only help contribute to healthy hairs whilst you halt your Hairloss via DHT blockers. The ones you want to use should be evenly balanced as some contain silly high dosage vitamins!
But most people will get enough biotin in their diet. It's unlikely people are deficient in biotin. And there's very little evidence that biotin makes any difference. Plus biotin is soluble that means excess gets flushed out.

I'm not trying to put people off taking supplements but just wondering why so many take vitamins with very little scientific evidence suggesting it helps.

jazz1

Reaction score
There’s a thread now on msm….