Vitamin K prevents vein disease. Bryan was right about milk

CCS

Reaction score
I read in the life extention magazine that many studies show that vitamin K keeps calcium on your bones and off your veins. Old people who are deficient can get weak bones while simultaneously getting calcium deposits. And without the vitamin K, this all happens very fast. There are two main sources of vitamin K: leafy greans, and dairy products. It is hard to absorb vitamin K from leavy greans, whereas the K in dairy is easily absorbed. K is a fat soluble vitamin, so guess where you can get it. That is right, Butter, from milk fat. Bryan posted a study showing that mice fed skim milk got vein disease, whereas those given whole milk never got any calcification at all. I think the first group was difficient in vitamin K. Would someone dig up that thread and post it here? They had some other vitamins in there too.

And my multi-vitamin does not have much K, and I rarely get any milk fat, so I'm worried. I'm going to start eating butter every day. I hope the nuts I eat have some, or my veins may be messed up.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Want to know more crazy things about milk.

Drinking skim milk actually makes you gain more weight than drinking whole milk. I can't seem to locate the study, but from memory, the group that drank whole milk either lost weight or maintained, while the group that drank skim milk gained weight.

The reason is that skim milk is high on the glycemic (sp) index, so it spikes your blood sugar levels, which and since your body seeks to maintain a balance, it stores the extra sugar as fat. Anything that the body doesn't want to deal with right now is stored as fat. Whole milk on the other hand has fat in it (your body needs fat to absorb vitamins A and D) which causes your body to digest the milk slower - thus lower on the GI scale...Thus causing no spike in blood sugar levels, thus causing no weight gain.

Taken from http://www.ninaplanck.com/index.php?article=Whole_Milk

"Whole milk is what is called a complete food, because each ingredient plays its part. Without the fat, you can't digest the protein or absorb the calcium. The body needs saturated fat in particular (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat can't do the job) to take in the calcium that makes bones strong. Milk fat also contains glycosphingolipids, which are fats that encourage cell metabolism and growth and fight gastrointestinal infections."

"In skim and low-fat milk, the vitamins are removed along with the fat, so dairies add synthetic A and D. But Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble; that means they cannot be absorbed into the body unless they're taken in with fat. Thus, even fortified skim and low-fat milk are not nearly as beneficial as the real thing."

The point is, put down your skim milk, because it's a waste of money and is making you fat.

BTW - CCS - good article, I didn't know that milk fat had vit K in it.

CCS

Reaction score
but homogenized milk has very small particles which I read on HairLossTalk.com kind of clog up the entry ports from the intestine so that you can't absorb vitamins. So I don't know about non-homogenized milk. Does that mean we should just eat butter to get the fat? Or cream? What is the difference between the two, anyway? And is riboflavin in the fat?

Does anyone have 100% the RDA for vitamin K in their mult-vitamin? Mine has only 13%. I need a cheap source. Since it is fat soluble, I don't have to take it daily, either.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never heard that homogenization "clogged" intestinal absorbtion. I'll have to look into that.

I know you can get organic, non homogenized, non-pasteurized milk at natural food stores. Personally, I just settle for organic milk that's still pasteurized and homogenized...At least it doesn't have BGH in it.

FWIW - here's a listing of all of the non homogenized, non pasteurized milk producers in the nation.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html#co

The Gardener

Reaction score
Harie said:
Drinking skim milk actually makes you gain more weight than drinking whole milk.

A critical element in our body's ability to convert fat into energy is CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). CLA is found readily in dairy fat, and red meat.

Now, there is not substantiated research on this from which to draw definitive conclusions yet, more research is needed, but studies of what I describe below are being done and have shown positive results:

Ironically, eating a diet of "non-fat" foods such as skim milk, and avoiding red meats, has resulted in depleting the body of the CLA it needs to efficiently metabolize fats. Without CLA, our body is more predisposed to immediately deposit fats under our skin, as opposed to using them as energy in the blood.

I take, and have always suggested to anyone who asks me about supplementation, a CLA supplement on a daily basis. In addition to its fat metabolism support, it is also very beneficial for muscle growth.

http://www.vitacost.com/Science/hn/Bene ... hair transplant/CLA.htm

CCS

Reaction score
my borageseed oil has CLA in it. About 1/4 or 1/3 by volume. I take 2mL per day, so I'm getting just under a gram of CLA. Does butter have everything that milk has in it, except the protein and lactose?

CCS

Reaction score
why aren't there any good mult-vitamins for sale? I searched all of them on vita cost and they are all fucked up. They have 2000% the RDA of some vitamins and 2% the RDA of others. Many have super high doses of vitamin A, which can build up to toxic levels, yet they have very little vitamin K. Why is it so hard to just get something with 100% of everything, and have natural vitamin E instead of the synthetic stuff? Do I have to buy every vitamin individually?

CCS

Reaction score
then why is there an RDA for vitamin K?

The Gardener

Reaction score
College, the RDA variations are to be expected in a good multivitamin.

The RDA is crap.

You need much more than the RDA for the water solubles as you pee out half of it after taking them. This is why you'll see higher than RDA contents for C and B complex, for example. You may take 100% RDA in the morning, but by the time noon rolls around it's already out of your system. Sooooo, you could either take the RDA small doses throughout the day, or take a much larger than RDA dosage in the morning and stay covered.

Here's the vitamin I take, and would enthusiastically recommend:
http://www.vitacost.com/Enzymatic-Thera ... rry-Splash

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
I'm just going to take my generic centrum silver, 300 capsules for $6, and fill in the missing nutrients with some individual cheap ones from http://www.beyond-a-century.com. I'm going to order some pomegranate powder from there too. I cut my vitamins in half or in thirds and take the parts throughout the day, and chew them with food. I wish it did not have synthetic E in there, and had D3 instead of D, but at this price I can't complain. I'm going to be doing a lot of pill cutting. Big pills require cutting, but megadoses can be cheap once they are cut up to daily levels.

CCS

Reaction score
I just looked at some magnesium pills. Just magnesium. They have 3% the RDA for magnesium per pill. WTF?! Same with potassium and phospherous. Why would I buy pills that only have 3%? And they are bonded to the aspartate anion. Once it dissociates from the metal ions, it will bond to a hydrogen atom in solution and make aspartame, which I heard is bad. Yeah, so I'm not buying that crap. I can get all the vitamins I need cheaply from http://www.beyond-a-century.com, but the minerals may be hard to find.

CCS

Reaction score
I did some googling. Magnesium and potasium are easy to get in a varied diet. Just google ________ rich foods and you will find it all. So I don't need those supplements. Phosphorus is many places too, but is especially present in meat and dairy. I'm going to buy some big tubs of plain yogart with milk fat and live yeast cultures and eat some of that each day, and eat a potato and maybe a banana each day. That should cover me easily.

what do you guys think of ginksen and these other things, and alpha lipoic acid? Should I try to get them too?

CCS

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why are you going to take pomegranite extract?

The Gardener

Reaction score
I agree with your Alpha Lipoic Acid suggestion, and I supplement with that myself.

You can get hormone-free milk, even my everyday grocery store carries it. Look for the labeling "RBST free". At the grocery store, however, it is twice as expensive as normal milk. BUT, at Trader Joes, they sell it cheaper than normal milk at the grocery store.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm going to take pomegranate extract because I read that it can reverse artery clogs. There was a study where they gave statins and other heart meds to people with severe artery clogs, and the same stuff and pomegranate juice to another similar group. The first group's clogs increased by 9% in one year. The second group's decreased by 11% each 3 months for a full year, being 45% reduced by the end of the year. They tried it with red wine and grape juice without improvement. I wish they would have tried apple poly or GSE. Anyway, the pomegranate extract powder is $9.50 for 25g, and has the same ratio that is in the pomegranates. I plan to take maybe 250mg per day. Maybe less.

CCS

Reaction score
I just bought vitamin K, alpha lipoic acid, pomegranate extract, a pound of yeast, and vitamin D3 at beyond-a-century. Spent $61 with shipping, and most of the stuff will probably last me almost a year at the dose I plan to use.