Vitamin D

makeveli1

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on vitamin d? Ive been taking around 5000iu for 2 years now, not because i thought it was good for hair, just for the general health benefits. During this time, I have gone from having a small bit of frontal recession to alot of diffuse thinning. It seems to have leveled off now, but i have too keep my hair buzzed at a 0, because there is a lot of thinning on top. I am not slick bald in any area, just thinned. I have always read that vitamin d was good for hair, although, I have never actually read any scientific evidence to back this claim up.

Ive been doing some research and it seems that vitamin d is actually not good at all for hair. The following study showed that supplementation for 6 months with 1000iu of vitamin d resulted in a "signifiicant" increase in serum transforming growth factor. The study used patients with ms, so I realize that it may not be perfect.

B. D. Mahon, S. A. Gordon, J. Cruz, F. Cosman, and M. T. Cantorna, “Cytokine profile in patients with multiple sclerosis following vitamin D supplementation,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 134, no. 1-2, pp. 128–132, 2003.

Here is another study which points to the detrimental effect of vitamin d on hair follicles.

Biphasic effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin

Vitamin D3 and its analogs are potent regulators of growth and differentiation of various cell types. A mechanism of action of vitamin D3 and other steroid hormones is to enhance the secretion of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) in target cells. In epidermal keratinocytes, vitamin D3 induced the expression of both TGF-beta 1 and TGF-beta 2 with minor changes in mRNA levels, while in BT-20 breast carcinoma cells the increase in TGF-beta activity was preceded by an induction of mRNA. In both cell systems, the absolute amounts of active TGF-beta increased, and in keratinocytes the proportion of active TGF-beta was also enhanced. A concomitant enhancement of secretion of the latent TGF-beta-binding protein by vitamin D3 was observed in BT-20 cells. Retinoic acid, which is known to interfere with vitamin D3 signaling, slightly decreased the levels of secreted TGF-beta 1 protein in BT-20 cells, but did not significantly affect the vitamin D3-induced increase. In addition to regulation of the TGF-beta system, vitamin D3 decreases pericellular plasminogen activator activity in keratinocytes. Plasmin-mediated proteolytic events are involved in the release from pericellular space and activation of TGF-beta. We analyzed vitamin D3 regulation of fibroblast growth and the secretion of PA activity. Vitamin D3 inhibited fibroblast growth in a concentration-dependent manner and downregulated plasminogen activator activity as in keratinocytes. In fibroblasts, vitamin D3 did not induce notable alterations in TGF-beta 1 or latent TGF-beta-binding protein secretion, suggesting divergent growth inhibitory mechanisms. Our results indicate that vitamin D3 and its analogs are potent regulators of the TGF-beta and plasminogen activator systems in cells of epithelial and mesenchymal origin. D3 on human hair follicle growth and hair fiber production in whole organ cultures.

TGF-beta2 upregulation is one of the mechanisms by which DHT causes the miniaturization of hair follicles.

alec baldwin

Reaction score
So the chinese are already starting to formulate vitamin D inhibitor. Who gonna take part in a group buy?

makeveli1

Reaction score
I don't no if its necessary to inhibit the vitamin d as such, just if you are already taking it at levels of over 1000iu cut down the intake. I may however be wrong, but since researching i have seen many studies linking high vitamin d levels to high levels of tgf-b which if you look, is not good for hair. A while ago I tried minoxidil, and it helped a little, but i felt like there was something keeping the hair from getting better. It now makes sense that maybe the high levels of tgf-b where shortening the anagen phase so much that the hair wasn't getting a chance to grow.

resu

Reaction score
I thought it was suppose to be beneficial for hair, the real stuff at least.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Vitamin D is a non-starter discussion towards male pattern baldness...it's not the cause, nor will it stop it....end of story...

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous. Vitamin D is an important vitamin for plenty of reasons. Stop spouting half-baked theories that make people anxious for no reason.

makeveli1

Reaction score
lol, how is it ridiculous? Im just pointing out what Ive read, I didnt say I knew for sure, I was pretty much asking for others opinions.

Substances regulating the homeostasis of calcium and phosphorous may also be involved in control of hair growth. Parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related peptide inhibit hair growth and epidermal cell proliferation.[20] 1,25 - dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25/OH/D3) in low concentration (1-10nM) stimulates, and in high concentration (100nM) and after longer contact inhibits hair and hair follicle growth.

21. Harmon CS, Nevins TD. Biphasic effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on human hair follicle growth and hair fiber production in whole-organ cultures. J Invest Dermatol 1994; 103: 318-22.

Is this not a forum for debate? I didn't say vitamin d isn't an important vitamin, I also never said that i knew it could cause hair loss. But can you seriously tell me that you have studied what long term high dose vitamin d supplementation effect on hair follicles is? If so that's fine.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok but you do realize that half hour of sunshine would provide you with like 20,000 UI whether you want that or not? Everyone should be going bald in that case... Your 1000 UI is small compared to what people are taking in 100,000 UI when recovering from deficiencies

Sparky4444

Reaction score
ok but you do realize that half hour of sunshine would provide you with like 20,000 UI whether you want that or not? Everyone should be going bald in that case... Your 1000 UI is small compared to what people are taking in 100,000 UI when recovering from deficiencies

yeah..exactly....Vitamin D has NOTHING to do with male pattern baldness...this thread should end here IMHO

makeveli1

Reaction score
Like I said, Im only saying what i have read..However, i would disagree about your sun exposure theory. I don't really no anyone who gets half an hour of quality sun exposure a day year round.There are not many people walking around with constant high levels of 1,25(OH)2D3.Your acting like Im saying vitamin d is the new dht. I am not doing this is the slightest.Im saying that you nor i fully know what affect it has on hair follicle proliferation. There are plenty of studies online which show that high serum vitamin d inhibits keratinocyte growth. All you need to do is look.
The fact of the matter is, you are probably right, but for you to say vitamin d has nothing to do with hair loss with 100% certainty is quite laughable, you cannot say that for sure because you haven't studied the area..So please stop talking like your some genius. I cant be bothered childishly arguing on internet forums with a know it all, so this thread can end now.

resu

Reaction score
True, the risks of overdosing on D3 are much lesser compared to being deficient of it.

makeveli1

Reaction score
There is nothing to win, if you look at my posts I never stated that vitamin d definatley caused hairloss, I just wanted others opinions because of certain things Ive read.
Im actually glad you found that, at least you actually tried to prove something rather than just arguing for the sake of it. You haven't actually disproved anything Ive said though, there are studies which support the anti proliferative effects of vitamin d all over the internet. However maybe the benefits you suggest outweigh those negatives. However I personally will stop dosing at a level of 5000iu as many websites suggest you should because most people seem to get on fine without it, and I haven't seen any benefits in the two years of taking it. The last study i posted actually agrees that at low levels it it good for hair, just that unnaturally high levels are bad.

resu

Reaction score
http://www.alopeciaireland.ie/apps/...hair-loss-alopecia-new-research-confirms-link

Of course it's not related to male pattern baldness but there's a link.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/LabNotes/LabNotes/33954

Vitamin D3 Has Hair-Raising Effect
Hair growth-promoting stem cells acquired supra-regenerative capability when treated with vitamin D[SUB]3[/SUB], laboratory studies showed.Hairless skin from rats grew significantly more hair when inoculated with D3-treated murine dermal papilla cells (mDPCs) than did skin specimens exposed to murine dermal fibroblasts treated with vitamin D[SUB]3[/SUB], Japanese investigators reported online in Stem Cells Translational Medicine."We found that treating the dermal papilla cells with vitamin D3 significantly enhanced the growth of new hair over that of the control group," Noriyuki Aoi, MD, of the University of Tokyo, said in a statement. "We also observed a better rate of maturation of the follicles. In other words, the hair grew thicker and lasted longer.The researchers also found that human DPCs treated with vitamin D3 exhibited upregulation of Wnt10b and transforming growth factor beta-2 (TGF-β2). Both genes are associated with folliculogenesis, and their vitamin D3-induced upregulation was specific to hDPCs and not seen in human dermal fibroblasts.Collectively, the results suggest that vitamin D3-stimulated DPCs has potential as a treatment for baldness in humans, Aoi and colleagues concluded.

makeveli1

Reaction score
Yes, i wasnt suggesting that it was linked to mbp as such, but rather hair cycling in general. I personally believe there may become a point where too much could become potentailly harmful.

Relatively low concentrations (1-10 nM) of 1,25(OH)2D3 stimulated the cumulative growth of hair follicles and hair fibers, by 52% and 36%, respectively (concentration producing 50% of the maximal response [EC50] values of 0.3 nM). The initial rates of follicle and fiber growth were increased, whereas the respective growth periods were unaffected. At higher concentrations of 1,25(OH)2D3, there was a dose-dependent inhibition of both follicle and fiber growth (IC50 values of 100 nM), in part due to reduction in the growth periods.

Like i said, personally i may cut down my daily intake.