Vitamin C is (probably) a useful tool for hair growth

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24524758

Microarray and quantitative polymerase chain reaction showed that vitamin C primarily upregulated expression of proliferation-related genes, including Fos, E2F2, Ier2, Mybl1, Cdc45, JunB, FosB, and Cdca5, whereas Fos knock-down using siRNA significantly decreased vitamin C-mediated ASC proliferation. In addition, vitamin C-treated ASCs accelerated the telogen-to-anagen transition in C3H/HeN mice, and conditioned medium from vitamin C-treated ASCs increased the hair length and the Ki67-positive matrix keratinocytes in hair organ culture. Vitamin C increased the mRNA expression of HGF, IGFBP6, VEGF, bFGF, and KGF, which may mediate hair growth promotion. In summary, vitamin C is transported via SVCT2, and increased ASC proliferation is mediated by the MAPK pathway. In addition, vitamin C preconditioning enhanced the hair growth promoting effect of ASCs. Because vitamin C is safe and effective, it could be used to increase the yield and regenerative potential of ASCs

Gears4man

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always noticed when supplementing a gram of vitamin c per day that my hair seemed thicker and stronger.

Gears4man

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also DO NOT just apply vitamin c topically. Example. Many will literally take lemon juice, which is high in vitamin c, and put it on their heads. In addition, some will get l acrobic acid power (wich is vitamin c), and apply that to their head. Do not. For vitamin C to be absorbed properly, one must make certain the vitasmin c they are delivering to their skin has NOT oxidized, and is in a specific pH controlled formulation (such as products like vitamin c serums from Skinceuticals, or Timeless.)...... anyway, worst case you could simply orally use vitamin c and see what happens

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always noticed when supplementing a gram of vitamin c per day that my hair seemed thicker and stronger.

Same. At 2-3 grams per day though.

Also DO NOT just apply vitamin c topically. Example. Many will literally take lemon juice, which is high in vitamin c, and put it on their heads. In addition, some will get l acrobic acid power (wich is vitamin c), and apply that to their head. Do not. For vitamin C to be absorbed properly, one must make certain the vitasmin c they are delivering to their skin has NOT oxidized, and is in a specific pH controlled formulation (such as products like vitamin c serums from Skinceuticals, or Timeless.)...... anyway, worst case you could simply orally use vitamin c and see what happens

Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate is a good, stable form.

Last edited:

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Vitamin C reduces cox 2 expression, which is a very good thing imo. You don't want to reduce cox1 for hair loss, only cox2.