Vit d deficiency?

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I've read a lot of people with AA and Androgenetic Alopecia are vit d deficient. How is it possible that there are no studies done about this. It just amazes me, Androgenetic Alopecia has been going on since forever, and nobody knows what the link is.
A lot of people with Androgenetic Alopecia also have an iron deficiency. Why?

Hmmm there's a link between vit d deficiency and prostate cancer+coronary heart disease, which is linked to Androgenetic Alopecia.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The vit d receptor gene is linked to prostate cancer. The vit d receptor plays an important role in regulating the hair cycle.

No single gene is responsible for prostate cancer; many different genes have been implicated. Mutations in
BRCA1 and BRCA2, important risk factors for ovarian cancer and breast cancer in women, have also been implicated in prostate cancer.[SUP][26][/SUP] Other linked genes include the Hereditary Prostate cancer gene 1 (HPC1), the androgen receptor, and the vitamin D receptor.[SUP][23][/SUP] TMPRSS2-ETS gene family fusion, specifically TMPRSS2-ERG or TMPRSS2-ETV1/4 promotes cancer cell growth.[SUP][27]

[/SUP]
The vitamin D receptor plays an important role in regulating the hair cycle. Loss of VDR is associated with hair loss in experimental animals.[SUP][7][/SUP] Experimental studies have shown that the unliganded VDR interacts with regulatory regions in cWnt (wnt signaling pathway) and sonic hedgehog target genes and is required for the induction of these pathways during the postnatal hair cycle. [SUP][8][/SUP] These studies have revealed novel actions of the unliganded VDR in regulating the post-morphogenic hair cycle.

abcdefg

Reaction score
vitamin D might play some role but I think its much more complicated than simply taking more vitamin D. It was mentioned a while ago as a possible avenue of further research but it was more how the body used the vitamin in the follicle not the amount of the vitamin someone takes. Like PGD 2 its an area to look into more but its way premature to say more vitamin D would cure or stop male pattern baldness or something silly like that.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Some women, better said , the majority of women with Androgenetic Alopecia have bloodtests showing low Vit d and low iron. I've looked it up, found out why. The majority of women with Androgenetic Alopecia have PCOS, women with pcos have low Vit d.

Vitamin D deficiency is common in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), with the 67–85% of women with PCOS having serum concentrations of 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25OHD) <20 ng/ml. Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate symptoms of PCOS, with observational studies showing lower 25OHD levels were associated with insulin resistance, ovulatory and menstrual irregularities, lower pregnancy success, hirsutism, hyperandrogenism, obesity and elevated cardiovascular disease risk factors. There is some, but limited, evidence for beneficial effects of vitamin D supplementation on menstrual dysfunction and insulin resistance in women with PCOS. Vitamin D deficiency may play a role in exacerbating PCOS, and there may be a place for vitamin D supplementation in the management of this syndrome, but current evidence is limited and additional randomized controlled trials are required to confirm the potential benefits of vitamin D supplementation in this population.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Oh yeah you have it listed there about the vitamin D receptor so taking vitamin D wont do you much good because its how the hair interacts with it that matters. I dont know of any way to change or fix vitamin D receptors in my hair so until they come up with something its not much use. Again vitamin D receptors not working properly means levels of vitamin D have nothing to do with it since your hair would not make use of it anyways
Just another theory to put in the big pile of theories that need more research

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tan regularly... so I get plenty of vitamin D. I'm still losing hair.

bagel

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's more a problem with the vitamin D receptor as opposed to vitamin D. not really researched so...

beholder

Established Member
Reaction score
I do believe that the opposite may be true. The men who experience Androgenetic Alopecia have less hair -> more scalp is exposed to the sun. The UV rays induce vitamin D production in scalp. Vitamin D presence has a provable effect on lowering of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production so it may induce more hair loss. This in turn may induce more scalp exposure to UV rays and so the problem gets bigger and bigger. I know it's a simplified view and much more is going on but it actually MAY be a part of what is going on.

This problem is also not isolated to vitamin D (calcitriol). Please refer to my post about effects of various antioxidants on PGE2 which is most probably needed for better hair growth:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...bane-of-PGE2-(read-to-get-your-hopes-crushed)

BOTTOM LINE
No single compound is a cure for Androgenetic Alopecia. Supplementation (iron, antioxidants, omega-3, MSM, etc) may help but it would be like trying to kill a bear with green peas if you wanted to cure Androgenetic Alopecia with supplements only.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one more note. People see me wearing a short tight beanie ALL THE TIME and whole year, sometimes even the biggest heat waves. It's already very old and rugged, with strands sticking out after last washing. Used to be black, now it's BROWN from UV exposure. But I still wear it, I can't imagine wearing anything else during summer or mild winter (got better hats for cold temps). The hat is quite thin and it nicely absorbs most of my sweat during summers.

People wonder a lot why am I wearing it all the time. They wonder whether I have any hair and are surprised when I tell them I protect myself with the hat. If you ever got sunburned on the scalp due to your thinning hair, you'll know what I am talking about. Just seems to be working and I get NO hairloss from the hat at all.

- - - Updated - - -

looks like this except it's brown. Yep, I wear a f**king helmet.
https://blueskyalpacas.com/patterns/mens-beanie/

hairlifted

Established Member
Reaction score
Been taking vitamin d daily since high school. Usually about 4000-5000iu but in the winter somewhere around 8000-10000iu. I honestly couldnt tell you if it's doing anything for hair, energy, or mood but its so cheap so I just take it lol.

Baylad

Reaction score
Taking to much of one Vitamin can cause an imbalance to other Vitamins. Vitamins have a corresponding vitamin need to keep the balance.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I've read a lot of people with AA and Androgenetic Alopecia are vit d deficient. How is it possible that there are no studies done about this. It just amazes me, Androgenetic Alopecia has been going on since forever, and nobody knows what the link is.
A lot of people with Androgenetic Alopecia also have an iron deficiency. Why?

Hmmm there's a link between vit d deficiency and prostate cancer+coronary heart disease, which is linked to Androgenetic Alopecia.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The vit d receptor gene is linked to prostate cancer. The vit d receptor plays an important role in regulating the hair cycle.

No single gene is responsible for prostate cancer; many different genes have been implicated. Mutations in
BRCA1 and BRCA2, important risk factors for ovarian cancer and breast cancer in women, have also been implicated in prostate cancer.[SUP][26][/SUP] Other linked genes include the Hereditary Prostate cancer gene 1 (HPC1), the androgen receptor, and the vitamin D receptor.[SUP][23][/SUP] TMPRSS2-ETS gene family fusion, specifically TMPRSS2-ERG or TMPRSS2-ETV1/4 promotes cancer cell growth.[SUP][27]

[/SUP]
The vitamin D receptor plays an important role in regulating the hair cycle. Loss of VDR is associated with hair loss in experimental animals.[SUP][7][/SUP] Experimental studies have shown that the unliganded VDR interacts with regulatory regions in cWnt (wnt signaling pathway) and sonic hedgehog target genes and is required for the induction of these pathways during the postnatal hair cycle. [SUP][8][/SUP] These studies have revealed novel actions of the unliganded VDR in regulating the post-morphogenic hair cycle.

How about locally injecting vitamin D into thinning areas of the scalp? That way the increased Vitamin D concentrations are confined strictly to this area and now redistributed throughout the entire scalp, theoretically increasing efficacy. But all I see within the hair loss industry is a total commitment to the status quo, with virtually no doctor attempting to perform anything new whatsoever.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
Vit D implication in male pattern baldness could explain why there is high prevalence of male pattern baldness sufferers in nothern countries (Europe, asia). Since black race (africans), midle-eastern man tend to suffer far lees from male pattern baldness even though this populations also have increased androgen and DHT levels, if you look at their facial and body hair. Just look at Obama, or Nelson hair (thick). And this differences among races are probably caused by environment, lack of sun during evolution.

I really don't have any other reason why certain genotypes and races are more susceptible to hair loss. ANd we all agree here that white race and Europeans are most susceptible to balding??

EtherialSpell

Reaction score
i believe the reasons why vitamin d deficency is evident in balding scalp is due to a mulfunction in the receptor site due to the evident fibrosis that exsist in the balding scalp and i think its cause all alopecia scalp are internally inflamed and there are an accumlation of grease/oil/dead skin and fibrosis that stops the receptor site from bending/metoblozing vitamin d ....check this link below for details

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...rapy-of-Human-Scalp-for-Natural-Hair-Regrowth

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I've taken large doses of vitamin D every two weeks since I was 20.

I'm now 25. I went from a NW2 to a slick NW5 during that period.

So no, I don't think there is any link between the two.

you need to take it with vitamin k2

it is useless by itself

and it depletes magnesium

- - - Updated - - -

If you take a supplement, don't take a "hope and pray" regimen of random supplements.

You need to know what you are taking and what to take it with .