Vi's Story - (19 / -with pics-)

MaluLani

Reaction score
I noticed that I could see some of my scalp when I was about 17 or 18 and now i'm 19 and here is how my hair looks....

53726222.jpg

29022092.jpg

24536888.jpg

37010290.jpg

I have been denying it but now that I look at these pictures I know I have to do something. I am not the type of person who can live with a shaved head. I normally spend an hour each day trying to spike my hair and I get depressed when I can see my scalp. I used Toppik thing that conceals bald spots to help me but I don't want to wait till my hairloss gets worse.

My dad started losing his hair at a young age and now I guess i'm following that trend. I am so scared to lose it but i'm worried about starting rogaine or something like that cause of the shedding.

Should I start using Rogaine and Nizoral (i've read that's good). I would get on finasteride and all that stuff if I could afford that...I am a college student.

Please help me, If I end up bald I will be severly depressed. I know that sounds retarded but I can't help it.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Vi's story [19 years old] -with pics-

ok let me be the first to say

your hair loss is very minimal

your crown looks ok
but i think it is in the earliest
stages of miniaturization/thinning

your hairline looks like an NW1
turning into an NW2
it would be nice to see a profile picture
to see your temporal recession (if any)

you said your a college student and you cant afford finasteride
in the long run you could be spending alot more money on rogaine
instead of staring finasteride and waiting to use rogaine

generic proscar is pretty cheap
you can get about a 100 generic proscar (5mg finasteride) for like $80
by splitting the pills in 4ths that will last you more than a year

IMO i would suggest you consider using finasteride before you consider using minoxidil
using nizoral every third day is an good idea and shouldn't hurt your pocket too much
one 120ml bottle lasts me about 3 months

these are just my opinions as i am not a doctor
use your own judgment

MaluLani

Reaction score

So how would I start that? I don't have insurance so i'm worried about the cost of the dermatologist. Also what is the average cost of the "big 3"?
Also spitting the pills...would that make it less effective?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

Villarba said:
So how would I start that? I don't have insurance so i'm worried about the cost of the dermatologist. Also what is the average cost of the "big 3"?
Also spitting the pills...would that make it less effective?

insurance wont cover propecia, proscar, etc usually
especially when used for cosmetic reasons

the cost or an derm can very i would say approx $50-$120
you can always call the derm your planning on going to
and ask how much a consultation cost approx

i did not suggest the big three for you
but it cost about 15-20 dollars a month
depending if your using the foam or not

im just saying considering your situation
if anything you should use finasteride before you consider
using minoxidil

as i said before
i am not a doctor and you should use my advice
for your discretion

MaluLani

Reaction score

Thank you. I'll probably contact some dermatologists soon.

So with finasteride would there be really noticable shedding...that's what freaks me out about all these products. I don't want to lose ALOT of hair and not be comfortable in public.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

when i started finasteride i though it caused a shed within the first month
looking back it was probably just normal loss

keep in mind a shed is loosing more than 100 hairs a day

being on finasteride will make you LOOK AT every hair you loose in the shower

some people shed ....some dont
i wouldnt let the possibility of a shed scare you

h82bebald

Established Member
Reaction score

you will get shedding minoxidil too. I would follow bodys suggestion and just get on finasteride and nizoral.

MaluLani

Reaction score

That sounds encouraging.

but I was just wondering, will have results with the generic brand AND splitting the pills to make it more affordable?
What other options can be affordable but also have results?

So finasteride and nizoral. I will try that. What would be the cost either per month, 3 months, or year?

tooyoungforthiscrap

Established Member
Reaction score

I know how you feel man, I'm in the same boat as you are ('cept my hairs a bit worse)

The meds talked about here can maintain or even regrow your hair for years, I'm hoping for all of us that a "cure" comes out in the next 10 years.

I'm trying to look at it as positively as I can. I know it's hard, I have my bouts of depression too, but worrying about it will only make it worse. Talk about a horrible situation eh?

As many people will tell you, you should try finasteride and nizoral alone for 6-9 months before deciding to start minoxidil. Especially with longer hair, people often wish they waited to start it because once you do, you can't stop. A lot of people have great success with just finasteride alone too, check the success stories forum! I look at minoxidil as a way to make the meds last longer, so I'll probably be starting once finasteride starts losing effectiveness.

Keep us updated!

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score

all you need is propecia lol your hair isnt even bad. Propecia will help you maintain what you have for awhile , so dont worry. hop on some propecia and live life bro

cuebald

Reaction score

Norwood 1.
Isn't even a mature hairline yet.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score

Your hair is great, there is no sign of male pattern baldness there right now, even if you visit a doctor, i think he will tell you the same thing.

Rogaine at this point is MADNESS and it's gonna be a "pain in the ***" to apply it, keep it for the future if things get worse.

IMHO give it 5-6 months and see what happens. If it gets worse, start propecia. Always compare progress by taking PICS, because your mind will deceive you.

Shedding most of the times goes un-noticed unless you are counting hairs. Also it makes very small difference (if any) on the overall appearance of your hair. Generaly, I think that less the miniaturisation, less hairs will shed. Don't worry about it in case you are going to start treatment.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score

I think you should definitely start treatments. As far as i can tell you are at a very very early stage of male pattern baldness, you have recession and have thinning to a certain extent. It may be a slow progression but the treatments may halter it all together. You are only 19 tho, so the ol' "mature hairline" might be suggested.
Just my opinion though, i would keep an eye on it none the less.