Vintage Snake Oils

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was at a boot sale at the weekend and found an old almanac which gave various remedies for hair loss. Thought I'd share them because they're so weird - not to be taken seriously, of course. The book was published about 1920 - anything that calls a phonograph a 'marvellous contraption' gets my vote.

'Pomade Against Baldness - Beef marrow, soaked in several waters, melted and strained, half a pound; tincture of cantharides (made by soaking for a week one drachm of powdered cantharides in one ounce of proof spirit), one ounce; oil of bergamot, twelve drops.

Erasmus Wilson's Lotion Against Baldness - Eau-de-Cologne, two ounces; tincture of cantharides, two drachms; oil of lavender or rosemary, of either, ten drops. These applications must be used twice a day for a considerable time.

Baldness When Caused By Ill Health Or Age - Rub onions frequently on the part requiring it. The stimulating powers of this vegetable are of service in restoring the tone of the skin, and assisting the capillary vessels in sending forth new hair. Should it succeed the growth of these new hairs may be assisted by the oil of myrtle berries.'

As far as I know cantharides is an active ingredient in Spanish Fly. Strange thing is that most of the other medical advice in the book is sound. But I guess hair loss has always been a business.

powersam

Reaction score
balding men have been found to be low in quercertin, or spelling near that. which is oddly enough in high concentrations in onion oil. so hey...

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gah ive always ate onions on EVERYTHING.. i lovem.

never helped my hair.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
SkylineGTR said:

never helped my hair.

Applied topically onion juice will regrow your hair, hence my regimen.
Powersam is right. Its the Quercetin.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
SkylineGTR said:

never helped my hair.

Curcumin is said to mitigate the downstream effects of 5AR-DHT. I wonder if quercetin and curcumin would have a synergistic effect...?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
More vintage advice from the same almanac (Enquire Within Upon Everything)

'Excellent Hair Wash - Take one ounce of Borax, half an ounce of Camphor; powder these ingredients fine and dissolve them in one quart of boiling water; when cool the solution will be ready for use; damp the hair frequently. This wash effectively cleanses, beautifies and strengthens the hair, preserves the colour and prevents early baldness.'

I think I might try this...

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
tchehov said:
More vintage advice from the same almanac (Enquire Within Upon Everything)

'Excellent Hair Wash - Take one ounce of Borax, half an ounce of Camphor; powder these ingredients fine and dissolve them in one quart of boiling water; when cool the solution will be ready for use; damp the hair frequently. This wash effectively cleanses, beautifies and strengthens the hair, preserves the colour and prevents early baldness.'

I think I might try this...

Hmmmm. I'm detecting a bit of common sense tchehov....Watch yourself :lol:

G

So why not just add Quercetin to a topical. I take suplements - why not crack open a few and run em on with other topicals?

Diamond Dave said:
SkylineGTR said:

never helped my hair.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
hairlosstalker said:
So why not just add Quercetin to a topical. I take suplements - why not crack open a few and run em on with other topicals?

Another sign of a member with common sense...What's going on here in this thread????

Hairlosstalker...that's exactly what I am doing. I mix liquid Quercetin and Witch Hazel together. You can see this in my regimen.

The Vitamin Shoppe sells liquid Quercetin and I have found The Vitamin Shoppe sells it about $8 cheaper than online sources.

http://www.getitback.us