Very new to all of this

eddie

Reaction score
Hello my name is Eddie. I am new to this discussion forum and have enjoyed reading the posts that all of you seasoned members have had to say. As a hair loss sufferer myself (about 13 years now), I have dabbled with the idea of getting hair transplantation. I am 38 years old and first lost vital hair when I was about 25, mostly thinning on the top. That was very devastating to me. I still have enough hair on the top to style but it is sparse in certain areas. I would best describe it as frontal thinning from the front to the back (crown area). I have thick hair on the sides and back. I tried using minoxidal for a time but didn't achieve the results that I was hoping for. So, I gave it up; plus the daily regimen got to me. And I am reluctant to even approach using Propecia because of all the hormonal and side effects that can be caused by it's use. So, the only option I felt that was left was hair transplantation. I like the fact that it is a permanent solution. I am told that I'll need one session and about 800 to 1000 grafts. My surgery is set for August 7th, 2003. My question is about what to expect after surgery. Is there anyone out there that has undergone the procedure and had ample time to report back to me about what they went through and what to expect. I've heard about shock hair fall out, but how common is it? What was the total time to notice full results and healing time. Any and all replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G

eddie said:
Hello my name is Eddie. I am new to this discussion forum and have enjoyed reading the posts that all of you seasoned members have had to say. As a hair loss sufferer myself (about 13 years now), I have dabbled with the idea of getting hair transplantation. I am 38 years old and first lost vital hair when I was about 25, mostly thinning on the top. That was very devastating to me. I still have enough hair on the top to style but it is sparse in certain areas. I would best describe it as frontal thinning from the front to the back (crown area). I have thick hair on the sides and back. I tried using minoxidal for a time but didn't achieve the results that I was hoping for. So, I gave it up; plus the daily regimen got to me. And I am reluctant to even approach using Propecia because of all the hormonal and side effects that can be caused by it's use. So, the only option I felt that was left was hair transplantation. I like the fact that it is a permanent solution. I am told that I'll need one session and about 800 to 1000 grafts. My surgery is set for August 7th, 2003. My question is about what to expect after surgery. Is there anyone out there that has undergone the procedure and had ample time to report back to me about what they went through and what to expect. I've heard about shock hair fall out, but how common is it? What was the total time to notice full results and healing time. Any and all replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hair transplant is a partial solution and not permanent per se. Without continuing drug treatment, you will continue to lose hair, likely behind the hair transplant sites. That will make you look very very foolishi indeed. (I saw someone like that yesterday and almost burst out laughing!).

I recommend using finasteride and minoxidil for at least 18 months and then get your hair transplant. Then you should continue using the drugs.

That is the path! Tread carefully!

Good luck

sal1

Reaction score
Eddie,

I had my last hair transplant this past October. Front and back. I was really thinning, but had previouos hair transplant that didnt give good results. But I was 28 yrs old then. I had this last one at 36 yrs old. Big difference. Results are so much better. Really good coverage and no scars or marks.

I'd say the only uncomfortable thing for me was the donar area stitches. Sore for a few days. But once those stitches were taken out it was such a relief.

I did have shock fall out to some degree after a couple weeks which bothered me, but it all grew back along with transplants in a few months. I'm 8 months in and I'm very happy with the results. I do use proscar as well.

The procedure is easy, the healing is easy, but the hard part is waiting for the hair to start growing. It does though so feel good about that.

Good luck. You'll be happy about your choice.
sal1

roark

Reaction score
eddie,

i just had the surgery yesterday. 1600 grafts. So far no problems. Just some scabs that will go away in time...and I have enough hair on top that you cannot really see most of them..except where i was really thin in front and temples. I took the plunge at 29. My hair loss picked up after the death of my father, but stablized about 4 months ago..so i thought i was ready. I am taking propecia now as well..to keep what i have to avoid a second surgery if possible. Its only the second day, but i have a hopeful atttitude...i will report back in a few months.

eddie

Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful replies. I think I get more nervous as my surgery date approaches but I want to do this because I have lived long enough with my dilemma. Roak, I especially want to know how things are going for you being that you just had your hair transplant. It sounds like your in the same boat as I, having enough hair but just wanting to fill in the spots that are not so full. The hair count on the top of my head has stayed the same for years now so hopefully I'll have that full look again. Can you post a pic of yourself? I'd like to but I don't know how (help anyone?). What other regimens are you doing right at this moment post hair transplant? I wish you the best of luck.

Once again,

Thanks to all who replied,

Eddie :)

Axon

Reaction score
I'd also like to add that a lot of transplant patients I've met suggest having it done in the cooler, autumn or winter months. Many have told me that having the stiches in during a sweltering summer can nearly drive you mad....

Can some of the other people here confirm or deny this? I'd think it would make no difference.

Further, have you looked into the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) procedure? I think it's much better option than strip surgery, and please understand I am not trying to steer you away from any of your plans! I just want to make sure you know of all your options.

roark

Reaction score
day three

Eddie,

the only other thing i am doing now..is taking propecia. Just started that, in hopes of avoiding a second surgery. If i can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Day three after the surgery. Doing the graphcyte soaks, washing the hair 3 times a day with the special shampoo and conditioner, taking prednizone, an antibiotic, but no longer need the tylenol. I am doing aok. No scabs fallen off yet. But its only visible in the front area anyway. I went outside shopping to the grocery store..no hat...and no problem.

I will keep you updated.

G

Re: day three

roark said:
Eddie,

the only other thing i am doing now..is taking propecia. Just started that, in hopes of avoiding a second surgery. If i can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Day three after the surgery. Doing the graphcyte soaks, washing the hair 3 times a day with the special shampoo and conditioner, taking prednizone, an antibiotic, but no longer need the tylenol. I am doing aok. No scabs fallen off yet. But its only visible in the front area anyway. I went outside shopping to the grocery store..no hat...and no problem.

I will keep you updated.

Here is something that happened to me about day 4 after my last hair transplant--I started to swell in the forehead area and that swelling progressed downward until it almost shut my eyes and such.

If you see that coming, get out the ice packs BEFORE it gets to you lower forehead. Kind of uncomfortable but the real issue is that it looks like you had a serious *** whipping!

Good luck.

roark

Reaction score
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for that.

Well, today was the first day I woke up uncomfortable. Lots of itching(that is a good sign though...healing I think). My suture line is driving me a little crazy. Sleep in my recliner again so my head was elevated, but I must admit woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck.

A little graphcyte spray helped soothe things down. I am down to my last graphcyte soak now, which worries me a little. All scabs still present, but otherwise I am doing aok.

What is cool to see is that the scabs are in the very places were I really needed some hair, and that has me pretty hopeful. Time for breakfast, so i can take my morning pills...3 prednizone, 1 antibiotic, may try a tylenol this morning, and propecia.

So far everything is aok.
:rockon:

G

roark said:
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for that.

Well, today was the first day I woke up uncomfortable. Lots of itching(that is a good sign though...healing I think). My suture line is driving me a little crazy. Sleep in my recliner again so my head was elevated, but I must admit woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck.

A little graphcyte spray helped soothe things down. I am down to my last graphcyte soak now, which worries me a little. All scabs still present, but otherwise I am doing aok.

Folligen spary is very appropriate for you now. You can just spritz the new transplants several times a day! Dilute it with distilled water by half per Dr. Pickhart.

What is cool to see is that the scabs are in the very places were I really needed some hair, and that has me pretty hopeful. Time for breakfast, so i can take my morning pills...3 prednizone, 1 antibiotic, may try a tylenol this morning, and propecia.

So far everything is aok.

roark

Reaction score
Big Day 5

:smoke:

all is well here. Scabs are rinising away...that started yesterday. A little quicker than i thought, and I am relived for that. I am back to work tomorrow, so it will be good to have them faded or gone.

No pain at all anywhere. The graph locations are a little tender still, but really no problem at all. I am almost done with the medications(2 more days of prednisone left, and one more anitbiotic pill). The graphcyte soaks finished yesterday, and the spray they gave me to use every hour is about 3/5ths gone. The donor sight even feels aok today. I even spent some time outside over the last two days, which i think helped the healing process.

Now the real dilemma. No working out for 4 weeks? That will kill me. Any thoughts on even just doing some light cardio(stationary bike or elipitical machine). I am not a work out fanatic..it just keeps me sane and destressed. Any thoughts or experiences on that end?

I will continue to monitor this board, but think my daily reports may get boring from here on out until the 3 month report perhaps.

:lol:

G

Re: Big Day 5

roark said:

all is well here. Scabs are rinising away...that started yesterday. A little quicker than i thought, and I am relived for that. I am back to work tomorrow, so it will be good to have them faded or gone.

No pain at all anywhere. The graph locations are a little tender still, but really no problem at all. I am almost done with the medications(2 more days of prednisone left, and one more anitbiotic pill). The graphcyte soaks finished yesterday, and the spray they gave me to use every hour is about 3/5ths gone. The donor sight even feels aok today. I even spent some time outside over the last two days, which i think helped the healing process.

Now the real dilemma. No working out for 4 weeks? That will kill me. Any thoughts on even just doing some light cardio(stationary bike or elipitical machine). I am not a work out fanatic..it just keeps me sane and destressed. Any thoughts or experiences on that end?

I will continue to monitor this board, but think my daily reports may get boring from here on out until the 3 month report perhaps.

:lol:

I started working about on day 8 with my surgeon's blessing.

roark

Reaction score
yep....

I decided yesterday afternoon i could take no more, and headed to the gym. Just rode the stationary bike for 40 minutes but what a relief it was. No problems. Good to not feel so lethargic. I am back at work today.

Any advice on how long I should be sleeping at a 45 degree angle? They said three days, but I have continued to do that for about 5 now. I wake up feeling not so rested, so i would like to get back to sleeping normally if possible. Any insight or any thoughts?

On another note, tell me if this is a little nuts. I am certain my hair looks no different than it did before last thursday's surgery(its way early for that), but I just feel better or different. Cannot explain it, but just a noticeable difference in my level of happiness. Its strange but good. Happen to anyone else I wonder?

G

Re: yep....

roark said:

I decided yesterday afternoon i could take no more, and headed to the gym. Just rode the stationary bike for 40 minutes but what a relief it was. No problems. Good to not feel so lethargic. I am back at work today.

Any advice on how long I should be sleeping at a 45 degree angle? They said three days, but I have continued to do that for about 5 now. I wake up feeling not so rested, so i would like to get back to sleeping normally if possible. Any insight or any thoughts?

On another note, tell me if this is a little nuts. I am certain my hair looks no different than it did before last thursday's surgery(its way early for that), but I just feel better or different. Cannot explain it, but just a noticeable difference in my level of happiness. Its strange but good. Happen to anyone else I wonder?

The issue here is swelling, Just keep an eye out for that and if none is present, you can start to resume normal activities. You also want to look for any infection signs also. That is a risk to be aware of.

Yes, post surgery euphoria is common. Sadly, it will pass.

Good luck

knicks13

Reaction score
Surgury

I am 26 and have been on Propecia and Rogain for 2 years. My hair loss seems pretty stable. Where would you reccomend getting the hair transplant done? Anyone in the NYC area? What should I look out for? How will I know if I found a good doctor?

roark

Reaction score
I think the only advice i have to offer...having just had the surgery is ask every silly question you can think of and see how patient the surgeon you consider is. My guy in tampa was great. though i waited until the time right before the surgery to ask a lot of questions ...he was still very patient with me. From i like to cut my hair short..so will this hair transplant thing make a difference or be visibile if i typically where my hair short...to does this propecia stuff really impact your sex drive. He was very patient and took the time to talk to me about the medicien side of this and the need for being realistic. I am never going to have the hair I had..but some cosmetic improvement is a realistic goal. I used Dr. Marko in tampa and cannot say enough about him and his staff. They were even really cool during the whole procedure. I am 6 days post surgery, back at work, some small not visible scabs remain, the donor area is still very sore, but i am aok otherwise. Now time will tell the result ...so patience is a virtue.

good luck.

eddie

Reaction score
Roak,

It sounds like everything is going OK for you. I have my lab work and my consultation with Dr. Freedman at HCMA here in Phoenix on July 9th, 2003. As my surgery date approaches (Aug. 7th) I feel a little bit nervous but after reading your updates, I feel self assured that my surgery will come out fine. I will do everything that is expected of me and follow all instructions given to me. I am like you, I don't know what I'll do if I can't work out for several weeks. I just lost over 20 pounds and am worried that without exercising, the weight will come back. Well, continued good luck on your healing phase and look forward to hearing from all of you guys. I think this is a great web site and forum that allows one to discuss all types of matters and I like the fact that others have gone and conquered before me!

Thanks to all!

Eddie :lol:

roark

Reaction score

I thought of one other thing i could share...a few days before the procedure i began to think..what the f*** am i doing? I would never believe i am a a plastic surgery type guy..etc. Dont be surprised if those thoughts creep into your head, they sure did for me. So much so on the day of the surgery, i almost backed out. I think it is normal to feel some trepidation leading up to the thing...but i am healing fast, even went rock climbing(indoors), yesterday...so life is back to normal. the world is not the wiser and I am awaiting the results months from now. Even now, I find it hard to believe i went through with it, but I am glad I did, even though nothing has changed yet.

good luck man....keep your wits about you.

eddie

Reaction score
Next month

Hello to all out there. Well I had my lab work done and my consultation with Dr. Friedman at HCMA in Phoenix on the 9th of July. Dr. Friedman answered all my questions with a lot of information and more importantly with a lot of patience. I thought that was very cool. We discussed the before and after instructions and I am set for the 7th of August. The only other question I have is I have to get prescription drugs such as Lortab for pain, Prednisone as an anti-inflammatory, Ambien as a sleep aid and Ery-tab as an antibiotic, does insurance pay for any of these medications or have you guys out there had to pay for them? Being that this surgery is more classified as cosmetic, I don't know. They told me at HCMA that they would try to bill my insurance and see what happened. Any input you guys? Thanks.