VERY low dose of finasteride - bad idea?

Ende

Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
Ken1983 said:
Rawtashk said:
Have you tried getting some dutasteride and quartering it? There have been several people who've reported sided on finasteride but none on dutasteride. Might we worth a shot if you're that desperate to keep your hair.
As far as i understand dutasteride blocks both types of dht, where as finasteride block one type. I don't understand how blocking both types would cause less side effects - i don't understand the logic of that. Maybe i'm missing something...

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure either. I'm guessing that it's because the mechanism of action is different.
The MOA is the same, but like Ken said, dutasteride blocks 5AR Type 1 in addition to Type 2. However, don't even think about using dutasteride. It decreases the DHT level by more than 90%, and it has a half life of 5 weeks!

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
So how does RU58841 work differently and why is it safer if it functions systemically?

Ende

Reaction score
That's the thing; it's a topical treatment, and it takes care of the problem like it should be taken care of, simply by blocking the androgen receptors in the follicles and sebum glands.

With that said, systemic side effects are possible with RU58841 as well.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Enden said:
It decreases the DHT level by more than 90%, and it has a half life of 5 weeks!

Hence my suggestion of taking a .5mg pill and quartering it. Maybe even do that .125mg and take it EoD. In those cases it will reduce your overall DHT by about as much as 1mg finasteride

Ende

Reaction score
It's not pills. It's gelatin capsules filled with a liquid. 0.1 mg dutasteride is more effective than 5 mg finasteride.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Generic dutasteride can also come in pill form. I got mine from 4rx and they were white tabs. I researched to make sure they were legit, 'cause it kinda threw me off at first.

Ende

Reaction score
Ah, alright ;) but 0.1 mg dutasteride is still more potent than 5 mg finasteride...

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I agree, but it's much LESS potent than .5mg of dutasteride. If I ever switch to dutasteride, I'm going to quarter them and try that first.

.5mg of dutasteride EoD should reduce the serum DHT by 80%, whereas 1mg of finasteride does about 70%. So, .1 ED should be closer to a 70% reduction

dutasteride-optimal-dose-chart.jpg

Ende

Reaction score
I saw test result from dutasteride on men with Androgenetic Alopecia, and 0.1 mg dutasteride yielded more hair than 5 mg finasteride. But yeah, 0.5 mg dutasteride is more potent than 0.1 mg.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Coming up to 5 years on proscar

No problems down below or anywhere else for that matter

I break it up into quarters and take 25mg of zinc daily as well

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
thenational said:
Coming up to 5 years on proscar

No problems down below or anywhere else for that matter